Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme machine moving for the home shop....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme machine moving for the home shop....

Who says PM isn't good for anything..... if you think there is no way to move in that machine, check THIS out.....

Scroll down through the pictures, the transformer question isn't the point here, I'm thinking..... Also note the smiling wife in one picture....... that's almost as amazing as the moving jobs....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...sement-242137/

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I literally ran to the other end of the house and dragged my wife to the computer to see those pictures. The look of shock on her face was priceless.

Comment

A little hard to get to the stove & fridge & what about when they move? How's he going to get what he builds out?
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

I did the same with my wife. She just shook her head and said "No, absolutely not in this lifetime. Don't even think about."
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Obviously she's a machinist too, that's why she's smiling. Clearly that is HER machine he is installing.
          "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

I chuckled when I saw the "pass-thru" pix on PM, too.

It looks as though he has built a ledge around the opening, so that a floor section can be dropped in to close the hole.

Left uncovered, it would stop those late night refrigerator raids!

Mike

Comment

I can't believe he cut out a trap door in the kitchen floor.
              Thats some kind of determination!!!

JL........................

Comment

That is some funny ****! "honey, I'm gonna cut a big freaking hole in the kitchen floor so I can move some stuff around ok?" "Sure dear."
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Grind Bastard
                  Obviously she's a machinist too, that's why she's smiling. Clearly that is HER machine he is installing.

Or she is a mechanical/structural engineer, and she's smiling because she designed the lift and the removable "house parts"...... Note that they are in Michigan IIRC....... the car companies employ lots of MEs.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

This reminds me of my Uncle who cut out the floor of his dinning room so he could get his pool table in to the basement.
                    Mike
                    Brandon MI
                    2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
                    1971 Opel GT
                    1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

I laughed when I saw that the other day too, but for different reasons.

To me it comes down to a "now vs later" value proposition, and an "other possiblities" question. He could cut a big ass hole in the floor of an older home like that, in an area where the floor needs the most support and later have to undo all of that work (removing weight from a hole is much more difficult than moving it into one), as well as lower the resale value of the home and possibly cause other issues, or he could buy/rent/build an actual shop and maybe be money ahead. Entirely situational, but not something I would do.

Coincidentally enough, I bought some tooling several years ago out of a "shop" that was similarly designed - the house around/over the shop built in the mid 70s. The sad part of it was being that the basement was unusable (full) due to the shop, the new owner had gotten $40k off of a $200k price tag, and the machines were mostly being slowly torched/cut/broken down in place to be removed by the scrap man. I almost cried seeing a ~20x100 P&W lathe cut into sections large enough for a 2 man carry up the stairs.

I too showed those pics to SWMBO. She got a good laugh as well, and while we both agreed it would be convenient in use, she suggested I build an outbuilding before "it comes to THAT!"
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by Grind Bastard

She's smiling as she's standing in the garage watching her brother about to push the crazed husband down the hole into the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer

Coincidentally enough, I bought some tooling several years ago out of a "shop" that was similarly designed - the house around/over the shop built in the mid 70s. The sad part of it was being that the basement was unusable (full) due to the shop,

Of course, the machines can come OUT the same way they went in...... they put a big door in where the hole was.... And the floor is almost a non-issue, since the support beam goes down the center of the house, and is probably under the wall where the appliances are. Very do-able, although I would NOT do it.... (house is brick).

I'd dig a hole outside for a lift pit.

Whoever built a house around/over an existing shop wasn't thinking.

or maybe whoever decided that the only way to remove the machines was to torch them wasn't thinking.

Neither were the folks who put a 36 x 72 back landing on my house..... you have a 36" side-step to hit the basement stairs, in a 36" wide space.... never mind machines, it's hard to get a new furnace or hot water heater down those stairs.

No possible way I want machines in a freezing cold garage, or worse, an outbuilding that must be heated.... My father-in-law has the latter..... takes 3 hours of the morning to make the place warm enough to use it in winter, and even then your feet are on freezing cold concrete. And you get a sky high utility bill for your trouble, despite freezing your butt, and even though the walls are well insulated.

You who insist that long sleeves are forbidden in the shop.... you'd NEVER use the place from October to April or later. not unless you are a walrus.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

It reminds me of a guy I knew who built an engine for his Camaro in his bedroom. When it was done the only way out was through the outside wall of the house. He took a chain saw to the side of the house and cut a hole big enough to reach in with the bucket of his backhoe and pick the motor up. I'm glad I'm sane.

JL.......................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
                              It reminds me of a guy I knew who built an engine for his Camaro in his bedroom. When it was done the only way out was through the outside wall of the house. He took a chain saw to the side of the house and cut a hole big enough to reach in with the bucket of his backhoe and pick the motor up. I'm glad I'm sane.

JL.......................
                              Joelee your location is not listed but let me guess. You live in West Virginia?
                              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X