X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase converters

I was wondering if anyone has tried the converters from these guys:

http://www.phaseconverterhotline.com/

They sound good and I talked to them the other day and they were very helpfull...I will be powering a Bport 1HP J and a Logan 8" Shaper (for now)...TIA for info.

Mike

Can't say that I have, but I would also recommend you check out the following link.

http://andersonconverters.com/

No affiliation, other than being a very satisfied customer.

John B
    John B

Comment

Thanks for that link! Looks interesting. I'll read more about it later. Keep us posted if you do go that way.

Tom

Comment

Benji it seems the guy is offering an invertor not a convertor.
        I have three invertors I swear by them.
        I use them on all my three phase stuff, however I understand they only make invertors up to 2.2 kw or 3hp so watch out for this if you need more power.
        This is a problem for larger stuff.
        Also be careful when buying a three phase invertor on ebay etc as some of them are called invertors, and state in the description also the words three phase, and they are not all suitable for converting single to three phase power just act as speed regulating devices.
        However what he is offering is very good, very sophisticated and much better constructed than a convertor either static or rotary.
        I used to have some literature here on the differences between them all if I find it I will pass it on to you.
        The invertors I have are state of the art and are virtually fool proof with lots of built in cut out devices. Ask Ragarsed or John stevenson.
        John told me about a good deal which telemechanique were doing and I bought a new one from them.
        I have not used it yet as I have been too busy.
        The good thing from my view point is that these work out excellently for regulating speed.
        I can turn some huge unwieldy lumps of wood on my woodturning lathe and get the speed down to virtually zero, with good torque even at this low speed.
        In fact a lot of woodturning lathe makers are now building these into wood lathes for this very reason.
        They regulate speed with full torque on all machines that I have used and this is much easier than belt changing, as even with the lowest ratio the speed it too fast for some operations. I don't know what they are like on metal lathes and milling machines but have been told they are superb aslo see this it might be useful

regards Alistair
        http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph...converter.html
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

No one mentioned prices on any of the brands?

What'z up?
          -SD:

Comment

This looks similar to the digital phase converter offered by Phase Perfect. www.phaseperfect.com

I checked in to that and it runs about $1500 bucks but handles multiple machines.

Maybe someone can explain the difference in this inverter and the digital unit from Phase Perfect.

[This message has been edited by Tomzhere (edited 02-14-2004).]

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

I e-mailed them yesterday but they must be closed...the price they quoted me last week I cant find where I wrote it down but it wasn't that bad...under $400 shipped if I remember correctly..(so dont quote me!)

I will post a price when I talk to them Monday and get more info from them...it seems to be the way I will go......I was looking at the VFDs on Ebay but dont know if I will trust that as a source of this need..

I am heading off to look at a 9" Southbend now ...hope it looks good and I can haul it to its new home...more later.

Mike

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tomzhere:
                This looks similar to the digital phase converter offered by Phase Perfect. www.phaseperfect.com

I checked in to that and it runs about $1500 bucks but handles multiple machines.

Maybe someone can explain the difference in this inverter and the digital unit from Phase Perfect.

[This message has been edited by Tomzhere (edited 02-14-2004).]
                </font>
                The difference in an inverter(VFD) and Phaseperfect is the quality of the power produced. A VFD produces "dirty" power, whereas the Phaseperfect more closely resembles true 3 phase power.

For simply running a 3 phase motor, with no other electronics, magnetic starters, etc involved, the dirty power of a VFD works fine, but once you get into more complex situations the VFD becomes more problematic.

On CNC machines, the dirty power of a VFD is most obvious as it will blow the RC Networks (spark arrestors) immmediately...with spectacular results (noise, billowing smoke). Once the smoke clears, the machine will run, electronics will work...but long term, too risky.

But for a simple situation with a mechanical on/off or forward/reverse drum switch and one motor, a VFD works great for phase conversion, and the motor doesn't care a whit about the dirty power.

(on edit) Yikes, I just realized you're the same guy who asked this on Practical Machinist, so I just typed all this for nothing didn't I ?

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 02-15-2004).]

Comment

D. Thomas

Thanks for the help understanding. I don't think it was me on PM asking the question. I did find out about Phase Perfect on PM though.

If I had the cash that would be the way I would go. I do have a specialty CNC, but it runs on 110V single phase.

So the invertor mentioned by Benji is a VFD? They seem to imply there is a distinction beyween the two. Thanks for the post Benji, and the information from all it was very interesting to me.

[This message has been edited by Tomzhere (edited 02-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Tomzhere (edited 02-15-2004).]

Comment

Tomz, I was referring to Benji and didn't notice it was you who asked the actual "what's the difference" question..sorry for that confusion.

I haven't taken the time to analyze the unit Benji was asking about, but a casual glance at their website reveals no difference between their unit and a standard VFD...sound like advertising BS to me.

Cheapest way out for CNC is a rotary converter from someone like the aforementioned Anderson...right here in my state of SC. I bought a complete 30 hp unit from them for about $1,400 as I recall. I recently ordered a 'control box only' for 3 hp (i.e. for this one I already have a motor) and it was only $250 or so. They are slack with their instructions, (hand written notes and such) but they work ok...my 30 hp unit produces well within 10 percent deviation of voltage for CNC.

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 02-15-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                    X