Lathe Lubrication Hint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Lubrication Hint

I was looking at the spring loaded ball bearing lubrication fittings on my lathe and was thinking about ways to keep the dirt off them so I don't force it in when I do my lubricating. What I came up with as an idea is the new extra strong small magnets that are sold at the Home Depot, they're 12mm in diameter. I just put a small rubber donut on them to clear the ball and seal the edges. They hold like the dickens and short of a direct hit won't move.
    Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Nifty trick. the ball in one of mine fell out (?? Dang cheap thing), So I put some clear masking tape over it.

Only problem with magnets is they will end up covered in swaff thats near impossable to remove (I find using a blowoff tool, or (violent manual or power) wire brush sometimes works). Basicly just gotta fling stuff off the magnet fast enough to not get attracted back.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

BM, I needed a few replacement ball oilers a while ago and purchased some of these from my local Acklands/Grainger outlet.

As you can see the Gits oilers are available in English and metric sizes.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        Nifty trick. the ball in one of mine fell out (?? Dang cheap thing), So I put some clear masking tape over it.

Only problem with magnets is they will end up covered in swaff thats near impossable to remove (I find using a blowoff tool, or (violent manual or power) wire brush sometimes works). Basicly just gotta fling stuff off the magnet fast enough to not get attracted back.
        Duct tape use number 12,348,852: removes swarf from magnets. Use good quality duct tape. Several applications with fresh areas of the tape will quickly remove all the metal chips.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I use a ziplock bag, it is easy to remove the trash by removing th magnet from the bag and letting everything fall in the trash can.
          re
          Herm Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
            Duct tape use number 12,348,852: removes swarf from magnets. Use good quality duct tape. Several applications with fresh areas of the tape will quickly remove all the metal chips.
            Man, Last duct tape I bought the only thing the adheasive sticks to is duct tape adheasive!
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
            X