OT Changes to Google.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan
    Everybody is watching IP addresses including me. Any time you visit a post on any thread in this site that has a picture from my server on it I get your IP address. Also, if you visit any of my web sites and get there by using Google I get a list of the search terms you used to find it along with your IP, your browser type, your operating system and what pages you visited.
    My web servers can also collect that but I have turned it off as I don't care and don't need it for anything. On my previous proxy server I set it to dumb down how my web browser is presented to web servers but I upgraded and haven't had time to hack the code yet to repeat that.

However - where I work our data mining software uses everything extensively. Tracking mouse movement reveals where a visitor's eyes are on the page grid, for example. Many web pages have hot spots and I have developed the habit of moving my mouse off any page I visit until I know where the safe zones are. It has actually become a kind of a sport. If I can get to the specific link I'm interested in without tripping any hotspots it is a win. Kind of like playing Battleship

Comment

One recent change that Google implemented is that they won't let me visit google.com anymore. No matter what I put in for an address it redirects to google.ca based on my IP being Canadian. The only way to get to google.com is to use an open US proxy. The pages are very different when you go to the news, for instance. One thing about satellite is that it can't geolocate my IP accurately. That is one way I can tell that the tracking is really turned off. If it wasn't it would pick up my location the first time I looked up something local like a pizza place.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

One recent change that Google implemented is that they won't let me visit
        google.com anymore. No matter what I put in for an address it redirects to
        google.ca based on my IP being Canadian.
        This has been in place at my access point (Edm) for some time now.

Comment

Evan: http://www.google.com/ncr works fine for me. (No country redirect)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

http://www.google.com/ncr redirects me to http://www.google.ca/

Comment

I sometimes check the US news at http://www.google.com/ and have no issues at all getting there. No redirect to Google.ca.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane
                Are you blocking cookies maybe?
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally Posted by J Tiers

As far as I know, this is ONLY if you have a "google account"...... which I assume means you have to have signed up for something.

if you just use their search, and are not some sort of "member", this would not seem to apply.
                  Originally posted by dp
                  If you get mail from and send mail to gmail accounts you are being tracked, too. That's just a very small piece of it.
                  Surprise surprise - another "freebie" with strings and a long tail attached.

Comment

if you are a member of youtube ..then youre also a member of google .

i dont think they can track you if you put the sites you dont want them to see, into youre favorates.....you then go directly there ..bi-passing the tracking .

as far as i can tell .....you can only disable tracking ..if you are a member .

all the best..markj

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      Surprise surprise - another "freebie" with strings and a long tail attached.
                      If you have a gmail account, you have an account with google..... they have you "pinned down'.

What is the case if you have NO account with them, but casually use their search sometimes?

Then it seems they have somewhat less to "pin down", particularly if your IP address is not static.

naturally, a static IP means every single thing going through that address is tied directly to it, which means it can be "targeted" for ads of any sort related to the searches and sites visited from that address, as someone mentioned.

When google finishes buying out yahoo and the Yahoo groups service, then there will be a lot more users of google, and the targeted ads will be drowning folks, because google will know just what to send... what a windfall THAT will be.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Don't forget that anything that enters or leaves the US is copied to the NSA. By that I mean EVERYTHING including data and voice. There it is analysed in real time using deep packet inspection to determine what information it contains. If at all potentially interesting it is then subjected to increasing degrees of classification to see if it is worth really looking at closely.

Naturally the vast majority of data can be discarded instantly but the small percentage that warrants further inspection is the checked for items like key words and phrases that might be of interest.

This is all part of the Echelon System and applies to electronic communications that crosses the US border. It does not apply to communications that stay within the US but the catch is that internet doesn't care about borders. Data originating in the US and destined to locations in the US may often cross the border on its way, especially through Canada. That makes it legal for the NSA to intercept internal communications of US citizens.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Don't forget that anything that enters or leaves the US is copied to the NSA. By that I mean EVERYTHING including data and voice. There it is analysed in real time using deep packet inspection to determine what information it contains. If at all potentially interesting it is then subjected to increasing degrees of classification to see if it is worth really looking at closely.

Naturally the vast majority of data can be discarded instantly but the small percentage that warrants further inspection is the checked for items like key words and phrases that might be of interest.

This is all part of the Echelon System and applies to electronic communications that crosses the US border. It does not apply to communications that stay within the US but the catch is that internet doesn't care about borders. Data originating in the US and destined to locations in the US may often cross the border on its way, especially through Canada. That makes it legal for the NSA to intercept internal communications of US citizens.
                          so much for the land of liberty and freedom .

all the best..markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                            so much for the land of liberty and freedom .

all the best..markj
                            Don't think your occupiers (the English) don't do that too..... in their own way....
                            And other things also.

It's annoying, both when it IS done and when it is NOT done, but should be..... no winning that one, you are as bad off as anyone else.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Yup ..no freedom and liberty over here either...and it's getting worse

but then again, dont think anyone here calls this country the land of freedom and liberty....or ever did .

all the best..markj

Comment

This is all part of the Echelon System and applies to electronic
                                communications that crosses the US border.
                                And apparently to communications external to US borders, irrespective
                                of whether these enter US territory or not ...

Comment

Working...
                                X