Turning small stock...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dian
    i still would be interested to know, what drill chuck gives you 0.015 mm runout.

That is a used drill chuck, but only shows 0.02 mm TIR.

Now, if your drill chuck shows 0.30 mm runout or even half of that, it is not good for drilling anything accurately and probable reason is that it is too cheap.

The one shown in the photo is marked WTE, but can't remember the exact product code.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Eh? grab a glacern. Mines good to at least 0.001"/0.025mm. I would say its likey better but thats as good as I trust the chunk of steel I chucked to be round/straight.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
        Here is the OP:

Originally Posted by daved20319

I'm currently working with some 1/8" O1 tool steel rod, making parts for a couple of project air guns. My question is, how do you guys hold stuff this small? The smallest my chuck will hold is about 1/4" diameter, I've had to resort to using my mini mill as a vertical lathe. Is my only option a collet chuck, or is there another way? And if a collet chuck is the only viable option, what's a decent one that won't break the bank? Or maybe a better question, which one's should I avoid like the plague? BTW, if it matters, the machine is an older 12x24 belt drive Grizzly with a threaded spindle, 2.25"x8. Thanks, gents.

Dave

In my lathe for that sort of work I use ER-32 collets which each have a gripping range of 1mm (~0.04") from 2mm (~.08") to 20mm (~0.80") with 18 collets in 1mm steps and each has a griping range of 1mm (~0.04").

1/8" = 0.125" x 25.4 = 3.175mm which will fit in the 3-4mm collet.

Originally posted by photomankc
        Love it! how is that Collet chuck held in there?
        It seems a bit confusing I suppose but that ER-32 chuck has an MT3 taper to fit my mills.

The ER-32 adaptor has all the ER-32 requirements as regards taper, nut etc. and operates in the lathe the same as the MT3 adaptor works in the mills.

The lathe ER-32 adaptor is a "bolt on" fitting to the lathe flange the same as my 3 and 4-jaw chucks etc. do.

It has a small - about 0.002" as I recall - clearance from the lathe flange spigot that aloows me to use itas a "set-true" as I put the adaptor onto the lathe flange and just "nip" it, put the correct collet in and the job in the collet, put an indicator on the job, turn the lathe by hand and "tap" the job "true" with a bit of phosfor bronze (a "dolly" and "dead blow" hammer), finally tighten the adaptor to the lathe flange, re-check and if OK I am ready to go. I have eliminated most error.

It works very well.

The main advantage of collets over 3 and 4-jaw chucks is that the collets have very little if any "bell-mouthing" and so the job is gripped right up to the front/nose of the collet.

I bought the collet adaptor in the USA from either CDCO tools or Little Machine Shop (forget which).

I bought the collet and MT3 adaptor set here in Australia.

I can also bolt that lathe adaptor to my mill table or my 6" rotary table and tilting angle plate etc.

A very handy bit of kit.

Comment

mcgyver, thanks for that. i measured several of my chucks as you say, the result being, that the runout was always larger than when using the method i showed. you even take some slop out of the bearings when measuring like that.

jaakko, black: measure the runnout 150 mm from the chuck (as specified by rِhm), i wonder what you come up with. i have rِhm, albrecht, jakobs, bison chucks among others and its hard to believe that everybody has 0.02 mm runout chucks, while mine have between 0.30 ans 0.15 mm. the last rِhm i got should have 0.05, thats why i sent it back. i wonder what the replacement will be like.

the wte of course are high end chucks, if you have the precision one for 400 euros you are lucky.

Comment

Smaller work = smaller lathe.

Andy

Comment

Thanks for all the replys, guys...

Some interesting information has been posted on this thread, albeit not all particularly helpful to me :-). I've decided to try a couple of different ideas for now. I've got a set of 5C collets and a pair of collet blocks on order, as well as a set of ER type collets and an MT 3 adapter, all from CDCO. I suspect one or the other will do what I want, if not both, and if the quality isn't what it could/should be, I'm not out that much. Will post something akin to a review when I get them and get a chance to try them out. Later.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X