OT: Wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Wiring question

We are changing from a full electric range to propane. Have a 240V outlet in the wall. The new propane range will require 120V only. The present 240V circuit is wired with 10AWG 3+ground (red, black. white and copper) to a ganged 30 amp breaker.

Question:
    Are there any safety or code issues if I do the following:

Remove the 30 amp ganged breaker and replace it with a single 20 amp breaker plus a blank. In the breaker box connect the 10 AWG black wire to the 20 amp breaker. No connection on the red wire, but label where it goes. No change to the neutral (white) and ground.

In the wall connect the black, white and copper 10 AWG to a 20 amp outlet. No connection on the red wire.

Only practical problem I see is getting 10 AWG wire under the outlet screws, but it seems doable. I'll clip the bare ends of the red wire and cover with tape on both ends.

Running new wire would be very difficult so I'd like to avoid it.

Or you can buy the funny looking $20 cord that has a 15A fuse (often screw in type) that plugs into a stove outlet and converts to a 120v outlet, And save yourself the trouble.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I owe you a beer - I had no idea! Although it looks like this might be Canada only ????

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gas-...daptor/905477#
      Last edited by torchroadster; 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

You could pig tale some short pieces of 20 amp wire to the ends of the 10 gauge if you do it inside the box. Much easier to attach to a 20 amp outlet.

Change the description on the cover for those breaker slots.
        Gene

Comment

Originally posted by torchroadster
          I owe you a beer - I had no idea! Although it looks like this might be Canada only ????

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gas-...daptor/905477#
          Don't see any reason why you could'nt get one in the USA, Maybe ask the local real electrical store? We basicly have the same electrical certifcation laws, And being it has its own fuse I don't see why it would'nt pass.

Sees safer then mucking about with changing wiring anyway.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

torchroadster, your idea will work just fine.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yes, just change the breaker. Pigtail (wire nuts) the 10awg with 12awg if it won't easily connect to the receptacle. Buy a spec grade receptacle also... most of the rest are junk.
              Last edited by lakeside53; 03-03-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I'd just hook a welder plug to it, never know when you might weld in the house. Just today I need to weld a crane mount into the back of my truck. I have at least 15 welders no joke. I have 3 welder outlets in the hanger, all at the wrong end. I do have an outlet under what I call the alcove & a welder ext cord but I have a powered parachute in the way & am not nimble enough to crawl thru it all. So once again it didn't get done. If I had one in the kitchen, cord out the window & it would be done. It's there. Keep the 240V.
                Last edited by flylo; 03-03-2012, 09:34 PM.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

sure... but he needs the 120!

Comment

I'm going ahead with the breaker swap. etc. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                    X