USB Microscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Microscope

We've been talking about machine mounted cameras. Her's one for under $25/shipped. Looks like it may work well. I ordered one anyway. It's at dailysteals.com & is only on sale monday. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

USB Digital Microscope with High Quality Image and Video Capture

There is no link!

Comment

http://toys.dailysteals.com/

Comment

A different link, but it has many usb microscopes.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/usb+microscope

Comment

It's the same as #2 @ dealextreme link above.

Comment

Does anyone here know of a way to hook one of these up to a monitor or TV without the use of a PC? It could come in pretty handy in the shop. I know there are some versions with VGA output but they tend to be rather pricey. Some kind of adapter box would be great.

bob

Comment

"Let me know what you think."

how many pixels? mine has 1280 x 1024. thats o.k. but not great.

Comment

Originally posted by rowbare
                Does anyone here know of a way to hook one of these up to a monitor or TV without the use of a PC? It could come in pretty handy in the shop. I know there are some versions with VGA output but they tend to be rather pricey. Some kind of adapter box would be great.

bob
                If you are looking for one to hook up to a TV only, then Harbor Freight sells a simple security camera that does that for around $40. Plenty of other places have these security cameras in this price range.

http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

You won't be able to use any centercam software and I doubt you will get any sort of cross-hairs.

Neil

Comment

if you look at the video results from users of the microscope .

you wont be that impressed ...from what i can see a magnifying glass would be just as good...that's info gleamed, only, from looking at the videos though .

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                    if you look at the video results from users of the microscope. you wont be that impressed ...
                    I bought one of the 2 Mpixel "150X" USB microscopes to inspect blade edges, and it's pretty hinky. The focus mechanism is very primitive: there's a piece of allthread that moves the cmos sensor up and down in the microscope body. So I end up fiddling around trying to get the microscope body in the right place, and if you touch the focus adjustment knob, it bumps everything out of focus, and you start all over.

The software that these nameless Chinese microscopes comes with (ScopeX) is a repackaged version of the DirectX video capture demo.

For $99, it's fun to play with the kids... I can post a couple of screenshots when I get home, if anyone's interested.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I bought a cheap USB Digital Microscope a few years ago and it was fun to use. You could really see tool edges and such. It won't work on my new Windows 7 PC. I emailed the manufacture and they said "sorry" they don't support Window 7. Bummer
                      Last edited by lugnut; 03-06-2012, 02:06 AM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

I think I've read it will work on Linix as I have a Linix based netbook I'm not useing ecept for getting on line in the shop. It also says it has measuring capability. So we'll see. Probably a waste?

Comment

I haven't fully explored the software that came with mine but I don't recall seeing measurement capabilities.

I use mine for close-up viewing of the tool/work interaction on a small lathe and it works great. For touching off and resetting zero it's very good. Once the tool is jogged close to the work, I set the jog increment to .0001" in Mach and watch the laptop screen as I repeatedly press the jog key. When I see a tiny scratch on the work I stop there and hit zero. It's much better than anything else I've tried.

One thing I need to get is a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter for the old laptop I use for viewing since USB 1.0 is pretty slow and the screen image lags behind realtime a bit.
                          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Here's a screenshot of a straight razor edge. That's the best I could get with 20 minutes of fiddling:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              Here's a screenshot of a straight razor edge. That's the best I could get with 20 minutes of fiddling:
                              I hope you don't actualy shave with that blunt edge! I have sharper butter knifes!
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X