Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Stan
    Guest replied
    Here's a web site that helps when determining V pulley sizes. Please note the pulley diameter is slightly smaller than the OD. http://www.engineersedge.com/v_belt_sheave.htm

I recommend taking the dimensions and checking with the Surplus Center or Grizzly. I just did a search and Wholesale Tools carries step pulleys, who knows you just might get lucky.

You may find someone willing to TIG weld the pulley, but it would be difficult as the alloy used in the casting process has a low melting point in order to make it easier to cast. It will also have a very coarse grain structure.

Leave a comment:

• Rex
    replied
    I'd be surprised if you were able to find a replacement off-the-shelf pulley that wasn't made for a chinese lathe. Remember that the groove spacing also has to match

I think if this were mine I'd find someone to braze up that missing portion, then turn it back to shape on a lathe.

Leave a comment:

• gstprecision
    replied
    Quick question about the pulley measurement.

The ID of each step appears to be: 1-3/4, 2-1/2 and 3-1/4 inch. Is this the right way to measure? Seems like everything I found online was 2-3-4inch steps.

Thanks
    GST

Leave a comment:

• gstprecision
    replied
    Thanks for all the help. I tried on Jet website and no luck here either.

I will take it apart and get accurate measurements then try to figure out if I will buy one or make myself one.

The one on there right now looks a lot like sintered or Aluminum casting, lots of dirt on it but easily noticeable this is a coarse grain material.

GST

Leave a comment:

• Boostinjdm
    replied
    Your part # didn't work for me. Maybe look again.

https://parts.maam.waltermeier.com/Parts.aspx

Leave a comment:

• RussZHC
    replied
    It may just be a matter of looking while knowing actual dimensions including the bore and overall width...from a quick look at the diagram in the manual that pulley bore looks fairly large and a lot of what you can find is for fitting to motors w smaller shafts (of course, its impossible to tell the size of the bore needed from that diagram so it may not be an issue at all) but enlarging may put you nearly through into the bottom of the pulley groove.

Be aware though that quality varies greatly and its likely there will be several material choices available as well (iron and cast aluminum to start with) and given its within the drive system of a lathe, smooth running is sort of important...IMO some of the cast aluminum pulleys out that are out there are just horrible

Leave a comment:

• spkrman15
    replied
    pulley

Gst,
    Making a pulley is a great project. It will teach you about holding, angles (for the grooves) and concentricity. The hard part might be the keyway. Hard to do if you don't have the tooling for it.

That being said if you have trouble getting one and don't want to make a new one yourself, email me and I will help you find one.

Rob

P.S. there a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help you machine your own.

Leave a comment:

• gstprecision
    replied
    The problem is the 3 speed pulley at the back, not the one on the motor.

The smaller step of the pulley for some reason is missing one big chunk about 1/4 x 3/4 inch on the outboard side, making it unusable. It looks exactly like the speed pulley on a drill press. That's why I figured it could be an easy fix with other brand of lathe or drill press, even If I need to rebore or adjust one or all the diameter to match.

The part number on the diagram is IP-0230.

Thanks
    GST

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    I've never had any problem with Jet parts either... they mostly have them in stock, or can order them.

Leave a comment:

• T.Hoffman
    replied
    As far as parts availability with Jet, I called them when needing some replacement parts.

To my surprise, the had rubber 'wheel liners' for my mid-1980s 12" vertical bandsaw still available as an orderable part.

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Fisher
    Anyway,a lathe is for making round things. It should not be to difficult to make a new pulley. I made a two step pulley for my Logan after choking on the price of a new one. It cost me $20 for a chunk of aluminum from one of the specialty metal suppliers. They sliced off a 3in slab from a 5in rod in the price. If I may say, not many Logan's have a Prettier pulley, AND it runs true.
    I always pitty the poor guy(s) who have to carry a 10 to 20' long 5" rod over to the saw because someone wants 3"

Leave a comment:

• Bob Fisher
    replied
    Anyway,a lathe is for making round things. It should not be to difficult to make a new pulley. I made a two step pulley for my Logan after choking on the price of a new one. It cost me $20 for a chunk of aluminum from one of the specialty metal suppliers. They sliced off a 3in slab from a 5in rod in the price. If I may say, not many Logan's have a Prettier pulley, AND it runs true.

Leave a comment:

• gnm109
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by gstprecision
    Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me, I am somewhat new to the lathe and have a lot of questions. Here is my first one.

I just got myself a Jet 1024 in fairly decent shape.

Down the road it will need one of the 3 speed pulley (the back one) replaced.
    Seems like it might be fairly common, like a drill press pulley. Anybody knows it there is a common replacement?

I sent an email to Jet and if I don't hear anything by the weekend I will call them up .

Thanks
    GST
    Hello and welcome. Are you referring to the pulley that is on the motor shaft? If that's the one, and assuming that you can't get one from Jet, they are available on numerous sites. eBay, Amazon, McMaster-Carr and Grainger, to name a few.

You would only need the shaft diameter, pulley O.D. diameter at each level and possibly the size of key, although that may be standard for each size of shaft.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Dr Stan
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Boostinjdm
    How do you figure? I looked up quite a few parts online for my mill and lathe. All were shown to be in stock IIRC. I just couldn't deal with the price. I may have to go back and actually order a few of them at a later date.
    Had two < 1yr old Jet 1440's. Parts were unavailable.
    Last edited by ; 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• winchman
    replied
    I got my late-'70s JET 1024 in the late-'80s. I contacted the parts place in the early-'90s, and they had no parts available then. I doubt the situation has improved in the last twenty years. Of course, your's may be much newer than mine.

Post a picture of the pulley and the lathe. I'm sure there will be some good solutions offered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X