Drilling holes in Screwless vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling holes in Screwless vise?

Is it possible to drill and c'bore holes in the popularly available imported screwless vises? How hard are those vises? I'd like to add holes to an import vise to make it attach like a Hermann Schmidt.

adamc

They are most likely cast iron, and can be drilled and tapped quite readily.

Comment

The improt vise I was playing with a few weeks ago was Hard!!
      Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

These vises are HRC 56 (hard)

Comment

Adam,
          Maybe, Maybe not. Mine are hardened and ground. I'd check at least with a file first. A file won't take a cut on the surface of an Accu-Pro brand. Nothing much is totally impossible. And a EDM would do it for a price if they are hardened. Carbide drills and a carbide tipped counterbore might cost you as much as the EDM work would cost.

Pete

Comment

Drilling Tool Steel

You can use a solid carbide drill with 2 straight flutes to drill the hole, then counterbore it with a 4 flute carbide end mill. Do not use cutting oil, run it dry. Use a moderate RPM, depending on tool diameter.
            Kansas City area

Comment

Many things,like chuck jaws,are hardened at the most 1/16" deep,as Thompson brand USA linear bearing rod. I wasn't about to pay what they wanted for drilled and tapped rod. I just drilled mine with a carbide drill thru the hard crust,then used regular drill and taps,no problem.

I can't guarantee your vise isn't hard all the way through,but likely it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                These vises are HRC 56 (hard)
                How did you verify that hardness specification? Or do you blindly accept everything (parallelism, squareness, etc.) on the inspection sheet for a chinee product signed by HuFlungDung?

Comment

Looking at the numbers in the data sheet provided, If they are correct, I'm not all that impressed, especially for a grinding vise. And the allowable tolerance; does spec "B" say it must be flat to within .005 or they they promise that the height will be within .005 ?
                  Mike Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P
                    How did you verify that hardness specification? Or do you blindly accept everything (parallelism, squareness, etc.) on the inspection sheet for a chinee product signed by HuFlungDung?
                    Do you verify everything you buy, or do you just blindly accept everything signed by John Doe?

The point being that it doesn't matter where the product comes from or who has signed it, as crap or good products can be made anywhere.

Mike Hunter, I think those are millimeters, as China is metric. Edit: Yes they are millimeters, and seems like a good vice according to those measurements.
                    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

With the correct tools they are certainly drillable.
                      I recently have had to drill through several ball bearings (60-67 HRC according to manufacturer)
                      Solid Carbide drill, 4k5rpm (top speed on my TOS), peck drill against the quill stop, letting the tool dwell slightly. No coolant.
                      The Vice should be drillable if you machine is stiff enough. The TOS is built like a brick ****house.
                      To counter bore you might get away with an insert mill, and for the drilling a carbide tipped masonry bit appropriately resharpened will probably do.

Dave
                      Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

If those measurement are in mm, wow that's one heck of a vise.

.001 mm = .00004, don't think my Suburban vise can claim that kind of accuracy.
                        Mike Hunter

Comment

Oldtiffie,

Any chance you'd be willing to have a look at the vise you have to see if that spec sheet bears out? I thought the same thing Mike did. If those are inches, maybe I'd do better with a used Schmidt. If they are metric, that vise could be better than a Schmidt (I think the Schmidt vises are true to .0005").

Just looking at A, it could be out by:
                          .003" (not bad, but not great)
                          .003mm (.0001", better than a Schmidt costing $800)
                          or .003cm (.001") This is my guess for what they are claiming. I'd also guess those are all phantom dimensions.

Adam

Comment

If its in mm, who's going to do the measuirng of D & F?
                            Mike Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunter
                              Looking at the numbers in the data sheet provided, If they are correct, I'm not all that impressed, especially for a grinding vise. And the allowable tolerance; does spec "B" say it must be flat to within .005 or they they promise that the height will be within .005 ?
                              Mike.

It does not matter whether the units are inch or milli-metre providing they are the same top and bottom ie 5"/10" = 2 same as 5mm/10mm = 2 as it is a ratio. It is in mm.

0.005"/100" = 0.005"/100" = 0.00005" per inch (1/2 a tenth per inch) or 0.00005mm per mm

I ran a couple of checks a while ago and they came up within spec.

I don't assume (or am damned certain??) that it must be wrong because it is "Chinese". I took them at face value and random checked them anyway irrespective of their country of origin.

It may (will?) surprise those with an anti-Chinese bias that there is some good (and bad too) stuff comes out of China - and these vises are some of them.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/V365

Comment

Working...
                              X