No announcement yet.

Drilling holes in Screwless vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

these vises cost three times as much as the "regulal" ones, so they better be good.

Comment

They are if for no other reason than that they have no "moving jaw up-lift" problems - and there is no lead-screw for ham-fisted operators to over-tighten (with or without a "cheater bar").

Comment

Not necessarily anti-Chinese bias,

Looking at the site; yes they say “Accuracy within 0.005mm (0.0002") in squareness and parallelism”

Which comparable to a Hermann Schmidt, and better than my Suburban (which only has an accuracy of .0003), both costing 4-5 x the price of the one you picked up.

If you’ve confirmed the measurements, that’s a pretty darn good value.
        Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

http://www.pinetti-tools.de/pdf/pine...-zubeh%F6r.pdf

Comment

Well Mike.

Its "good enough" for a "rough and ready" meddler as I muck about in the shop.

I've never claimed that I am a "machinist" (good or bad) here so I guess that for me "near enough is good enough" with tools and machines.

So other than straight out "cock-ups" its surprising how often "near enough" is "good enough" here (or seems to be).

Those vices make good paper-weights and door stops too - even packing pieces on the mill - sort of.

Comment

I would be interested in how the manufacturer measured their squareness and parallelism to get those figures. 100% CMM?
              Cynical? Possibly.
              Bill

Comment

POssibly as accurately as these (measurred in microns, micrometers, um) which are approx x 40 = 1 micro-inch

I've checked them as best I can and I can't find any errors.
                Last edited by oldtiffie; 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X