question about ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about ebay

How do you keep track of the minutes slipping away on ebay?
    For example if the article I am watching shows 3 minutes it stays at three minutes and does not time down before mu eyes.
    I have to keep closing it and re-openoing it surely I am doing something wrong.
    I wan't to watch the last few minutes and seconds count down as I watch the any ideas Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I'm not sure it can be done.

When you go to a web site ( and eBay auction page, for example ), your computer downloads "a snapshot" of the page, puts it on your screen, disconnects from that web site, and then sits idle waiting for your next instruction. That is why the clock stays the same. When you refresh/reload the page, the computer goes back to the website for that page and takes another snapshot.

Since the page ( at their end ) has a clock image that continues to run, that is why the two snapshots are different.

If your computer stayed connected to their web page and kept receiving the continuously updated clock information, and so did everyone elses ( for whatever other reasons), the internet would grind to a halt.

Comment

Try a service from Hammersnipe.com which, for a few times each month, will put in an automatic bid for you within the last 10 seconds of an auction. For a price they will do even better. You've probably wonder how other bidders have been out sniping you. I contend that sniping is unfair to sellers and EBAY should implement a "going-going-gone" feature where the bid stays open as long as someone has bid in the last minute or so. Until they do this you might as well join the automated snipers.

Comment

Just keep hitting the refresh button, if you have a good dial up connection it should only take about 4 seconds to reload the page.

Comment

You can use this link to get a running clock on your browser:
          http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

You can get the official eBay time here:
          http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?TimeShow

Compare the two by having two browsers open and switch from one to the other. Once you know the difference between the official eBay time and the government time (if any), you can get the closing time of the auction, and know (almost) exactly when to place your bid. You might try the method on several auctions without placing a bid to verify your timing.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 02-15-2004).]
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I doesn't take long to do this.
            However a while ago a guy told me it could be done seems he was wrong.
            I can't undestand it, I put a bid on an item, no one else bid.
            With about a minute to go it tells me "sorry you have been outbid" so I am advised to put in an offer of آ£111.00 ,so i do that, it then tells me "incorrect bid" (it is what you advised idiot thinks I)which wastes more time.
            Then I am advised to bid آ£123.00 which I do it comes up again "incorrect bid " minimum bid آ£140 by this time the sale is over grrrrrrrr oh well alistair's not a happy chappy thanks guys Alistair

Comment

My wrist watch.. You are welcome to look over my shoulder..

HA... cable modems-dsl rules hit refresh..

I lost 3 auctions in the last 3 seconds last week.. hmm.. made me squish a beer can..

(gonna ride across country, knock on his door, break his index finger, get on harley and go home) Perhaps I should break his trigger finger too just in case? Aww hell I am too nice of a guy to do that. Its just fair game, I tried to get ebay to extend auctions after bids.

David

Comment

I know how you feel pal I sometimes think it's a set up.I dont know if I like the idea od sniping , still it costs a few percent of the selling price so I am tooo tight a$$ed to find our more Alistair

Comment

I got tired of being waltzed around and just went hammersnipe. The only hard part is coming up with a price that is best for you. Once you do, just forget about it. If you lose, well, there's always another time. If you win, you got a bargain. Don't forget that the bid is only advanced if necessary.

Comment

I think you guys have lost sight of the fact that eBay, like all auctions is a SCAM perpatrated by the auctioneer. Now sometimes fate conspires against the auctioneer and some deals are to be had. You do not "Win" and auction unless you get a good deal. "Winning" an auction by overpaying for an item is LOSING. Unless of course it is something that you just have to have. This is very seldom the case, however. Mostly it is just rubes getting taken to the cleaners. Sniping only works if you get a good deal. Sniping an item for more than its worth is the height of foolishness. Watch the clock run down and bid what you are willing to pay and forget about it. The "sniper" will only "Win" the item if he is willing to pay more for it than you are. If you let yourself get caught up in the heat of the moment you will get fleeced by the guys who are smart enought enough to get someone to "Shill" for them. Items that have one serious bidder go cheap; get two bidders and it often becomes a contest of stupidity. You are bidding against the seller in reality. GET A CLUE!!!

Comment

If a seller lists an item at a realistic opening price, the final price you pay is determined by you and no one else. It is not a scam, and the use of shills is probably few and far between.
                      If a seller outbids his buyers, he loses. He does not get the sale and is out the listing and final bid fees. Hardly a good business tactic.
                      Sometime toward the end of the auction, post the most you are willing to pay for the item. If someone has a higher bid than you entered, they will get the item. If your bid is the highest, eBay will bid only the amount necessary to make you the high bidder, they will not bid your maximum unless it is necessary. There is no need to use snipers, eBay will do it for you for free.
                      I do agree that it would be much better if eBay kept an auction open as long as there was active bidding on the item. This is the way a live auction operates, and would stop the sniping.
                      Jim H.

Comment

My understanding is that you cannot bid on your own item.Alistair

Comment

That is correct. A shill would have to be another person or entirely different identity bidding on an item expressly to increase the bid amount.
                          Jim H.

Comment

Ebay works as well as it does for buyers and sellers because it keeps a tight schedule. The fact that there are no calls for any final bids has several advantages for both the buyer and the seller. As has been said, it protects the buyer for being seduced into a final fast paced bidding war and ending up sorry about it later. It also protects the seller by keeping the biding audience to a maximum by guaranteeing a final auction time which buyers can either plan to attend (frequently in the middle of busy workday schedules), or arrange for "snipers." Keep in mind here that if closing times were not exact, "sniping" fees would probably skyrocket, and certainly the whole pace of eBay would be come totally confused. There are live auctions for tools on the Internet. Try being in one; it is a most time consuming and tedious process. For me, ebay's format rules!

Comment

The way you refresh an auction page on ebay is you click refresh and hold down the shift key,that updates the page,otherwise it may take as much as ten minutes for the page to update itself,or at least thats the way it used to be.

Anyway not having the page refresh itself instantly is good if your bidding against another bidder,if you increase or place your bid in the last five minutes then the other bidder won't see it if you don't refresh the page until its too late.

If your up against a auction sniper,forget it,it can place bids two seconds apart until it reaches its limit.

Anyway,its like any other auction,set the maximum your willing to pay for an item and bid that,if you don't win it wait for the next one to go on the block.Plus shilling only works if they can promt you into bidding more than your limit.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X