Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sherline 8.0mm collet fixture - steel? aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherline 8.0mm collet fixture - steel? aluminum?

Can anyone inform me whether the Sherline part #1165 is made of steel or aluminum? Considering the price and the fact that an aluminum drawbar probably wouldn't last too long, I'm figuring steel... right?

As an aside, where are all the folks using Sherline equipment? They obviously sell a whole bunch to "home shop machinists." They also advertise reliably in the HSM/MW/DW magazines, but I never hear them mentioned here Seems sorta weird that they don't come up more often 'round these parts

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks
    As an aside, where are all the folks using Sherline equipment? They obviously sell a whole bunch to "home shop machinists." They also advertise reliably in the HSM/MW/DW magazines, but I never hear them mentioned here Seems sorta weird that they don't come up more often 'round these parts
    I think they are just too small. If you buy one you'll either be bitten by the bug and find a way to afford to buy a bigger machine, or quickly become disintrested and move on. Unless you like making watch/RC parts I guess.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

In my case, I have the larger machines but am looking to more fully utilize/tool up my Rusnok mill. I recently purchased a very similar collet fixture for my larger 20mm collets. It has been so useful, I am interested in the Sherline fixture for my 8mm collets. There is a far better selection in my shop of 8mm sizes over 20mm size collets for diameters below 5mm. I have already found the Sherline rotary table to be a fine piece of tooling---and very appropriately sized for my Rusnok. Very useful. I'm looking to expand on this utility. That is the basis of my question, any way.

Comment

Sherline user

The collet holder is steel. I don' t have one, but I do have many other Sherline tools. Speaking of collets, I did another batch of parts today, as originally described in this thread:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39588

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        I think they are just too small. If you buy one you'll either be bitten by the bug and find a way to afford to buy a bigger machine, or quickly become disintrested and move on. Unless you like making watch/RC parts I guess.
        Pretty broad indictment based on uninformed opinion. Indeed there are those out there who regard these machines as toys, but they are entirely appropriate for the type of work they can do. My shop size is a limiting factor, but I have no desire to upgrade if I had the room. I have both the lathe and mill, and when I later got a Bridgeport, I found that I still used the Sherline mill as much as I used to.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
          ... and when I later got a Bridgeport, I found that I still used the Sherline mill as much as I used to.
          Bridgeport? Well, Just ask john, He will tell you the sherline is more rigid anyway!
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Good work Wes, and thank you for posting the interesting pics!

Comment

Working...
            X