No announcement yet.

Does stalling a motor cause any damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3 degree angle was the default value but as you say it seems that according to the diagram it should be 87 degrees. The horsepower, as stated, is net so yes 2 hp at the motor would be somewhat less at the workpiece. I was a bit sloppy, probably wasn't being paid enough.

Phil

Originally posted by Black_Moons
    Nifty, however i'll note you used 3 degree lead angle, From the diagram I would suspect that involves one that is almost parallel to the work (I think you wanted 87 degrees?)
    Also, theres transmission losses, and power used to drive the feed. So you can assume a 2HP motor is only gonna be good for 1.5HP or so at the spindle.

Comment

What kind of motor.

Is it an old manly 'merican motor or is it it one of the new Chinese ones rated in pony power. Makes a difference.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
        What kind of motor.

Is it an old manly 'merican motor or is it it one of the new Chinese ones rated in pony power. Makes a difference.
        Doesn't make any difference. Power needed is the same either way, just one way you do not GET the power.....
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
          What kind of motor.

Just because it says it 2 HP doesn't mean it is if it's Chinese. It could be why he is stalling out. To heavy a cut for the motor.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

a chinese 2HP motor will output 2HP without stalling. It just might not do it for very long before smoking! a well made continious duty motor would not smoke at its faceplate rating and likey is good for some more power before stalling.

Stalling is generaly just a result of taking too deep a cut. its not an issue with your motor.

And yes, Very hard on the inserts. Any time I 'stop' mid cut, it seems I snap the tip off an insert, Now I always make sure my tool is clear of the work before stoping.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              a chinese 2HP motor will output 2HP without stalling.
              Lord, we've had this discussion so many times. Most Chinese motors, especially the ones shipped on consumer-class equipment, are wildly over-rated.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
              X