Mill vise trays and T slot covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill vise trays and T slot covers

I've got a new vise, this one is so nice the Kurt's going to back of the bus ...(more on that later)....but it and Kurt do a terrible job of containing flood coolant flow.

I want to build trays that they sit in, with maybe 3/4" or 1" sides. I also see people use T slot covers, flat pieces of stock bolted over the Tslot to make clean up easier. I want a tray sandwiched between the vise and table and covers coming up to the tray. covers will cover T slot but not smaller channels down the outside edge so any coolant that gets outside the tray will have somewhere to go.

What materials do you guys use? Steel is cheap and easy to weld but rusts. AL, more expensive and weak and stainless is expensive and harder to work.

Ideas? Painted steel is how I'm thinking but I'm not convinced yet
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM.

We don't seem to have much here in the way of machinery, used but for some reason there is no shortage of restaurant supply places, including used.

Maybe try something similar, I have often found for metal "grids" of varying sizes, trays, assorted relatively small containers you can find quite a bit and a fair percentage of that in stainless...usually way, way cheaper than you could possibly come up with on your own...since it is sort of the same place, I have also found the rubberized grid stuff restaurants often use to prevent glass items from touching (often used for dish drying stations) works well for more delicate items or for those with a polished surface

Comment

Made couple trays that sit both sides of vise. Wasn't sure of design so made "temporary" trays out of painted galvanized steel that had on hand.

The trays were made up with seams in the corners only with tabs bent around the corners. Would of had to scrape paint off all 4 surfaces to make a spot weld or solder so instead glued the seams with JB Weld cause that was handy at the time. The epoxy has held up good and trays hold liquid without leaking. Only been in use about 6 months and the baked on paint is starting to scratch.

Have stainless but didn't want to use it cause wanted to test the design first but think it will be years before i give up on the "temporary" ones.

My stainless supply was commercial sheet metal cookies sheets bought surplus but think will save for another project.

Comment

I was at the local Walmart the otherday and noticed they had some SS cake pans about 14x20" and 1-1/2" deep for something like $7.

They also had some 12 quart SS stock pots for $9 that would make good parts washer pans or centrifuge housings for oil recycling
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If I were as fussy (or not) about my vise top face etc. as I am about them/vise remaining parallel to the mill table with a sheet of metal under it, I'd need to very sure that that sheet was flat with no "bumps" or "fold-marks" in it and it was of the same thickness.

I'd go for the option of drain/catch plates that abbuted the vice and perhaps temporarily sealed (silicon?) to it for easy removal. Hinged sides might help as well.

Comment

thanks for the ideas.

abutting doesn't accomplish what I want do - catch coolant that comes of the ends that stick out past the mill table.

I'm betting the sheet thickness will be consistent enough over a foot or two for milling purposes.

It struck me last night the way to go was steel, weld on sides then powder coat....but the pan idea is really good.....means going to a wallmart though . (they're not that bad, just not close) we'll see

Comment

Not a staged shot but an actual working shot, not the bed is clean and no dripping coolant.

This is the CNC, doing a pair of 10" flywheels.

Same CNC doing division plates. somewhere under all that lot is a heavy 10" 3 jaw chuck.
              Not shown is the front clear lexan cover to keep coolant in at the front.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Cookie Sheet

I went to the resturant supply and bought a cookie sheet. It is the one with 1/2 inch high sides. I roto-broached three holes. two holes to mount the vise and one hole to drain into the T-slot and out the table drain. The low sides don't do much to contain the "flying swarf". For this I use some sheet bent into a "U" to make a fence.

The beauty of the project was he had a couple of the sheets with dented corners. I guess you can't bake with dented corners, so they were cheap.

They also make a matching sheet pan punched with 1/8 inch holes on 1/2 inch centers. This pan stacks inside the non punched pan. This is placed under the ways of my SB9. It not only catches all the swarf but it also allows the oil to collect in the bottom pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside
                  I went to the resturant supply and bought a cookie sheet. It is the one with 1/2 inch high sides. I roto-broached three holes. two holes to mount the vise and one hole to drain into the T-slot and out the table drain.
                  I used two Teflon-coated shallow cookie sheets. I cut the ends off of one side, and then profiled and slotted it to fit under the vise, one on each side. It's nice because you're always moving stuff around on the mill table, so if you want to put a rotary table or another vise next to the primary vise, you just pull one of the cookie sheets off.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Show us the vise!

Comment

Working...
                    X