Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mayfieldtm
    replied
    At the factory, I most always use a NEMA 1 enclosure for these things.
    They are relativity inexpensive at Automation Direct.
    Get something plenty larger so you have room for fuses and switches and such.
    You might add a fan later if it's getting hot.
    The smaller units I don't even ventilate but probably should, especially if you have a hot environment.
    On my Home Lathe setup, I found myself reaching over the spinning chuck to adjust speed. Figured that was not such a good idea so I bought the extension cord for the control panel and keep it close and handy. I didn't look up your unit to see if it has a removable panel.

Tom M

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Here's a "dirty environment" 3 hp in a 12x12x6 NEMA 3R box. Control head is remote mounted.

Dual 24volt 3 inch fans in the bottom PUSHING into the box though a filter. Fans are switched on only when the thermostat in the top of the box detects over 105F. Exit is via louvers on the upper left side. The VFD fans run whenever the vfd runs. Running the fans all the time isn't needed and just adds more filth to the box.

A 2 hp with passive ventilation mounted on the back of a BP column (out of the chip stream)

Leave a comment:

• ammcoman2
    replied
    I am hoping that I have it covered (sic).

I also made a ventilation hole on the top of the enclosure the same size as on the bottom (2" diam). They are lined up to the fan on the FM50.

I noticed that the fan speed on this model (0.5HP rating) is much lower than on the one I have running my mill (1HP). Perhaps the guts are the same?

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• Chris165
    replied
    Originally posted by ammcoman2
    Recently completed this. Way too much work but I wanted to be able to plug in other motors for bench testing etc).

I bought a 6"x6"x6" junction box from Home Depot, a 3phase, 20amp Hubbell plug and receptacle and went to work.

Geoff
    Just curious if you have any problems with heat? The reason I ask is because I'm going to put a FM50 2hp on my belt grinder and this box seems smaller than a NEMA4 VFD.

Leave a comment:

• willmac
    replied
    This one is for a mill. 2.2KW motor VFD on right and coolant pump VFD on left. The pump motor VFD was a cheap buy, as was the enclosure, bought via Ebay. Very nice stainless steel unit. The spindle motor VFD has a brake resistor - very effective. The fans I already had and they give a constant through air flow as per the VFD manual.

This has been in place for several years without any problems. One day I will move the front panel out of the enclosure, but it really isn't necessary for using the mill.

Leave a comment:

• KIMFAB
    replied
    Thought you might like to look at a quality installation.

This is from my Hendey restore, another project halted before completion.

Here's one from my Shizouka restore, big box with only a transformer as another heat source.

Last edited by KIMFAB; 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ammcoman2
    replied
    Another way to skin the cat

Recently completed this. Way too much work but I wanted to be able to plug in other motors for bench testing etc).

I bought a 6"x6"x6" junction box from Home Depot, a 3phase, 20amp Hubbell plug and receptacle and went to work.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• TRX
    replied
    I like the drum switch on the left! Nice bracket.

I thumbtacked an old shower curtain to the wall behind my lathe to keep oil from getting all over the sheet rock. 19 years and going...

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    My DRO is on an arm that attaches to the side of the mill.

My VFD is simply mounted on an 18 inch stalk that attaches to the arm and puts the VFD above the DRO readout. The stalk is 3/4 inch emt conduit welded to a piece of 1x2 rectangular tube with the bottom cut off. This makes a bracket that slips over the arm. At the top is a bracket that matches the mounting holes on the VFD.

Being 2+feet from the cutting action, I don't worry too much about swarf getting in there.

Pictures available on request.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• T_henry
    replied
    This is how I did it, been two years and works great.
    Last edited by T_henry; 03-09-2012, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sophijo
    replied
    enclosure

.50 cal ammo box.....$8 at the surplus store

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    And... your machine isn't a big source of vibration. Mount it in a ventilated box on the the back high up (out of chip path).

Leave a comment:

• .RC.
    replied
    Mount the VFD somewhere out of the way and make up a control box where you put all the switches/pots...

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Forrest Addy
    Geez Boucher. Airborne metal dust kills NEMA 1 VFD's. It settles on the circult boards and provides conductive paths that either leak, or worse, flash over. You NEED a NEMA 12 enclosure for your VFD.
    +1. It took me about two years, but I successfully killed one awhile back.

I have a plan for a rather fancy enclosure to put the VFD on the head of my Bport, but until I finish it I wont share the details. I have had it mounted for quite some time in the cabinet on the back of the base, with a remote on the table and a remote dispay, but decided to change it up a bit.
    Last edited by justanengineer; 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KiddZimaHater
    replied
    I just bolted mine to the wall behind my lathe. Its been fine for the past 3 years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X