No announcement yet.

Cell phone tracking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the power companies are that good, I guess they'll just be able to tell prospective thieves that I have stuff to steal, that I'm not home for the same chunk of every weekday, but that I also have an alarm system of my own design which works whether I'm around or not and they should probably just go rob somebody else with lower chance of drawing attention and getting caught.

No prob.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
      I will be damned if I will be at the beck and call of anyone.

My phone - so far as I know - does not have a GPS capability.

I bought it to use as a phone - just a phone - and thats all that it gets used for otherwise other than being with us (switched off) in the car it stays switched off at home.

I am retired and I don't need and don't want the hassle of having my day "planned" (or disrupted) by anyone whose ego and self-importance demands instant response from me - or self-gratification at/by showing themselves and others how important and in command (of me???) they seem to be.
      Tiffie, not to be a jerk, but if your life is full of asses, you need to deal with the problem and tell them to piss off or explain the rules, not avoid your phone to avoid them.

No, I do not need to leave my phone on, I choose to do so. I choose to leave it on 24/7/365 bc others close to me occasionally need to be "rescued" and/or have medical issues. I deal with quite a few phone calls on the office land during the usual hours, outside of that I receive maybe 3-4 calls/week. People tend to be respectful of my attitude toward phone calls (dislike them unless necessary or rare), because they understand I will not answer or simply let SWMBO screen them for me otherwise.

Also, your phone does need to have GPS capability (or even be on) to be tracked, just as a ham radio transmitter can be via signal triangulation. As someone said previously, cell phones were tracked long before GPS capable smart phones existed.
      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
        My ego is not that big nor is my sense of self-importance.
        lol, of course its not
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Hmmmm, a number of years ago I was in Europe - can't remember which country - and while wandering through an electronics store I found a wireless phone set. It was meant to be used as a land line in your home and had a range of about 100-150 MILES. I was all set to buy one (it was not cheap, but would have been a lot less expensive than keeping a cell phone) until the clerk informed me that its use was against FCC guidelines in the US - something about allowable bandwidth. If I could have predicted the BS going on today, I would have bought it anyway, brought it home and used it.

Anyone out there familiar with what this beast might be and how to get one?

Brian
          Taxachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by H8Allegheny
            I found a wireless phone set. It was meant to be used as a land line in your home and had a range of about 100-150 MILES.
            DealXtreme will sell anything. A friend bought a tri-band cell phone jammer from them -- works incredibly well.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p23-ana...l-jammer-24234

- Mobile Phone Signal Jammed: CDMA: 870-880MHz, DCS: 930-960MHz, GSM: 1805-1850MHz, PHS: 1900-1990MHz, 3G: 2100-2200MHz

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/cell+jammer
            Last edited by lazlo; 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Man, that is some shiny illegal kit! And lol at the remote. they are sticking remotes on everything these days.... Fans with remotes even!
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally Posted by oldtiffie

I will be damned if I will be at the beck and call of anyone.

My phone - so far as I know - does not have a GPS capability.

I bought it to use as a phone - just a phone - and thats all that it gets used for otherwise other than being with us (switched off) in the car it stays switched off at home.

I am retired and I don't need and don't want the hassle of having my day "planned" (or disrupted) by anyone whose ego and self-importance demands instant response from me - or self-gratification at/by showing themselves and others how important and in command (of me???) they seem to be.
                Originally posted by justanengineer
                Tiffie, not to be a jerk, but if your life is full of asses, you need to deal with the problem and tell them to piss off or explain the rules, not avoid your phone to avoid them.

No, I do not need to leave my phone on, I choose to do so. I choose to leave it on 24/7/365 bc others close to me occasionally need to be "rescued" and/or have medical issues. I deal with quite a few phone calls on the office land during the usual hours, outside of that I receive maybe 3-4 calls/week. People tend to be respectful of my attitude toward phone calls (dislike them unless necessary or rare), because they understand I will not answer or simply let SWMBO screen them for me otherwise.

Also, your phone does need to have GPS capability (or even be on) to be tracked, just as a ham radio transmitter can be via signal triangulation. As someone said previously, cell phones were tracked long before GPS capable smart phones existed.
                The "jerk" problem resolved itself as soon as my response was not "now" - and was followed up if needs be by some rather terse and abrupt conversations.

"Others" who have "medical" - and particularly "money" problems know better and either solve or anticipate much of it. All of my family members (so far as I know) are pretty similar and we assume everything is OK unless they REALLY need to phone each other/another. Help - if really needed (very rarely) - may be given but sympathy for self-caused events is in short supply.

We don't need trivia or gossip or complaints (or requests for "help/money") as some used to (don't now) assume it as their right.

There are some who believed that loan or lend of tools or money (or car etc.) was not repayable and that that "loan" was a "gift" soon found out better and never made the same mistake again.

That got sorted out pretty quickly as well.

Those that need to contact us and/or those that we usually respond to know the "house rules" here.

I do not like the attitude of some who demand my attention - and an answer \response that suited them - all via and in one phone call - often at meal times when we would be home. That is nothing short of planned and intended rudeness and invasion of our privacy.

We ran a very successful business before I retired and similar "house rules" applied. Once it was accepted it ran very well as we were never short of work - it was all by referral ("word of mouth") - and so we never needed to advertise either.

So our cell phone is there (mostly off) for the occassional phone call we may choose to make but is other-wise off. We take it everywhere in case we need to make a call - and thats it.

I prefer emails in some instances as what people "said" is there in black and white - and cannot be denied - or misrepresented in a later conversation.

It is also quite surprising (well - not really) how many "urgent/now" problems turn out to be not so urgent at all if they have to wait for me to deal with it - if I choose to.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that after a while, everybody figures out what phone answering policy works best for them.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    DealXtreme will sell anything. A friend bought a tri-band cell phone jammer from them -- works incredibly well.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p23-ana...l-jammer-24234

- Mobile Phone Signal Jammed: CDMA: 870-880MHz, DCS: 930-960MHz, GSM: 1805-1850MHz, PHS: 1900-1990MHz, 3G: 2100-2200MHz

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/cell+jammer
                    Yeah - I knew of the "triangular tracking" situation a long time ago.

Perhaps I need a "jammer" or a "Farady Box".

I can imagine the panic and mayhem if a jammer was used in public places - especially when/at restaurants and dining/eating facilites in shopping centres etc. or more so in public transport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_jammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

I guess the cell phone is handy but we'd soon get used to not having it if needs be - as we were for many years before cell phones were as available as they are now.

Comment

Cell phones can be a link to help for some with medical problems or old aged alone.

However,,, the use of them continually, - i guess it's just everywere- is a real PITA!!

Getting tired of seeing people continually checking, pushing buttons, then checking again,, a sign of the dumb times we are living in.

Comment

Perhaps I should say here that I have no objection to "cell-phone" tracking per se as it is part of everyday life - like it or not. Such "triangulation" has been part of "In-shore Navigation 101" for ages.

It may well be intrusive - or not - and there is nothing that I really want or need to have done about it that I am aware of - so I accept it.

So I just shrug my shoulders at the inevitability of it all and get on with life in general.

But intrusive or "not wanted" phone calls are quite another matter.

I don't have, don't need and don't want a GPS either as we rarely travel more than 100Km (~60 miles) each way and we've done it all before. An up to date road map/book does anything else we need (rarely) or get the route from the web - even more rarely.

So, I don't have, don't need and don't want a "smart" phone or a lap-top computer etc. either. It can all wait until we get home or until we choose to answer/deal with it on the house phone or the desk-top computer - if at all.

So far as I am aware I can still get all I want done on my computer without any "smart phone" or associated "apps".

Comment

Working...
                        X