Cell phone tracking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone tracking.

Some people doubted me. saying 'employees are strictly trained not to steal and resell data! they are all 100% ethical and would never leak company information for profit!"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03...phone_hackers/

Employees making off with hundreds of thousands of peoples information, multiple times, and selling it off to detectives.. for just $270 per set.

Also links to this older story about another companys employees selling your data to other phone companys. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06..._tmobile_data/

Now, can you see why I don't want the power company knowing my exact consumption every second? Knowing when im home, When im away, when im awake? How long till employees sell the data to criminals instead of just 'detectives'? "Oh look. Account number 12345 at 6789, 10th ave uses all kinds of power surges that the power company has identifyed as multiple power tools. And shows here he leaves home at 9AM every day for work, except on weekends, and arrives home at 4pm, then goes to bed around midnight, and no other usage pattrens, so nobody else is home. Lets go break into his house around noon, Or maybe his garage at 4am or so."

Signed: Black moons, Someone who leaves his cell phone at home!
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

When I was young I sold vacuum cleaners door to door. I also sold sundries (Fuller Brush company) As part of our training we learned to look at a house and tell if they were home or not. Things like missing cars from the driveway with oil spots, lights on in the mid afternoon, newspaper or mail that has accumulated... That kind of thing.

That's all a thief has to do. Then a knock at the door to confirm. No answer and they are in. That's a time proven method that is used daily with great success.

OTOH, there's the situation where someone is targeting you. I doubt that the person will go through the effort to find a crooked employee and bribe them just to find out if you are usually home at 3:55.

And keep in mind that the data only provides probabilities, not certainties. The data has to be correlated and aligned with real world observations in order to have any use at all. You can't be sure that a .72 amp load is really a radio shack clock radio turning on. Nearly every electrical / electronic device is built with +- 5 or 10 percent tolerances.

That's why I don't worry.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

BM - only slighly paranoid...

Comment

I can see where the cell location tracking could be a problem. If you are supposed to be at work, for instance, and the records show you spent the afternoon in an area full of motels, for instance... In that situation it would be nice if the wife did not have that info.

In general, the data is currently only a problem for dishonest people.

The real problem with this type of tracking will arise when a corrupt government comes to power. Then the data can be used to locate or persecute certain groups of people. I hope that is far in the future.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Dont forget about the "targeted" marketing, such as the local ads that pop up when you perform internet searches. If I update my Twitter, Facebook, or any of that other nonsense (that I dont have, but SWMBO does), my "smart" phone automatically gives away my location. While you can change settings on those sites to not display this info, they do track your movement through all of this to "target" you.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Why not just turn the phone off until you need it..

Do you HAVE to have it on all the time - 24/7?

Are you really THAT indespensible?

Comment

Pagers are receive-only, and you can still get notified of an emergency.

Hmm... I wonder if anyone even sells pagers any more. (clickety-click) looks like $20-$25 per month for the service, $20-$40 for the pager.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

Those things are called "telephones".

Comment

We nowadays live in an era of surveillance , If some one wants it is no problem to find out what you are up to In the U.K. i was reading some time back in the newspapers of a major criminal case where the mobile phone logs could be traced to the minute

Although this sort of thing tends to be of concern, with some of the terrorist activity going on we really do need vigilance for all our safety

We have civil liberties today, thank the good Lord, But think on years back if mobile phones had existed, & J.Edgar Hoover had been able to track everybodys movements more succinctly Would he have gone into politics & risen to be the most nasty right wing president the U.S. ever had ?

Comment

In this week's episode of Californication, David Duchovy has a crazy ex-girlfriend who's stalking him. She flys out from NYC to LA, and calls him on his iPhone, and tells him she's on her way.

He's at an agent's house that she doesn't know, so he and his agent laugh about the psycho trying to track him down. Then there's a knock on the door

They open the door and are shocked to find the psycho ex-girlfriend standing on the agent's doorstep.

Hank: "How the hell did you find me??!"

Psycho: "I guessed your password for the iPhone finder app"

That works, by the way...
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      That doesn't work 'Tiff. The phone is still on standby when it's off, and it will respond to network and GPS queries and remote wiretap requests even while it's "off."
                      That's why drug dealers take out the batteries and the SIM card when they're having private conversations
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie

?
                        kind of defeats the point.

Do you HAVE to have it on all the time - 24/7?

Are you really THAT indespensible
                        What flawed logic. Yes I am. I am 100% absolutely indispensable to my own existence, advancement and career. While I have great confidence that the sun will come up tomorrow whether I miss a call or not, my sun may not if I'm not open for business.

I think you are viewing them from your paradigm, a retired guy who maybe needs it for a car emergency or something. Mine has become my office phone so I'm in the office ready for biz in whatever place I'm in (75% of time its not Toronto). Everyone's world is not the same as yours.

They've been able to track locations on these things for 10 years or more. The only thing stopping it is the cell phone provider;s employee's integrity , a business known for integrity and and hiring the best and brightest
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

My ego is not that big nor is my sense of self-importance.

My phone stays off unless I have arranged for a call (in the car) to come in or I need to make a call while in the car.

Most people who need to call me use my land-line phone and all get intercepted by the answering machine. I can choose which of those very limited calls I answer - and when.

It sure cuts out all those PIA and spurious calls.

Same with email.

It sure is surprising how many are filtered out.

Those who need me know the rules here and it works very well as it sure gets rid of the "I need it or need to know now" crowd.

I will be damned if I will be at the beck and call of anyone.

My phone - so far as I know - does not have a GPS capability.

I bought it to use as a phone - just a phone - and thats all that it gets used for otherwise other than being with us (switched off) in the car it stays switched off at home.

I am retired and I don't need and don't want the hassle of having my day "planned" (or disrupted) by anyone whose ego and self-importance demands instant response from me - or self-gratification at/by showing themselves and others how important and in command (of me???) they seem to be.

It will come as no surprise that other than this forum I don't have or use "social media".

Its a much more peaceful and quieter life as well.

We get by very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                            Mobile phone... something what I don't have... and don't need...

Comment

Tracking your location will be automatic in Windows 8. It's part of the OS and meant to supply info to Apps you load to your Phone, Pad or other mobile devices. Windows 8 will be one OS for all computing devices including desktops.

Comment

Working...
                              X