shipping to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping to Canada

Anyone know why it takes so long for mail to get into Canada? I sent Lorne a 1 1/2-8 tap for his lathe project about two weeks ago and he still has not recieved it. I had to fill out a customs form and list what the item was. My postoffice said that customs can be very slow. They must be backed up in checking packages, I could have driven it to him in about 6 hours!
    hms50
    hms

Always mark it as a gift or sample with a very low value >$10.00
    That way he will not have to pay duty and should get there quicker.
    Never use UPS to ship things to Canada. UPS are out to steal evey dollar they can from Canadians. I think the min. brokage charge is $35.00. That is the fee that they charge to collect the duty,not the duty.
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Oh...I love this! I just got screwed by UPS again myself. Ordered two little seals for my supercharger. Kuhl charged me $10 USD for them. By the time I paid all the crap they cost me over $90 CND. UPS charged me $42 for the brokerage fee. One thing though...UPS seems to clear the customs faster than Canada Post. I've had race parts stuck in customs for three weeks but Canada Post only charges a flat $5 "brokerage" fee.
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I sent the tap through the post office, listed as a gift with a value of $10.00. Maybe he will get it this week. I knew the Americans give Canadians a bad time, nut did not know how bad the mistreatment was!
        hms

Comment

hms50,
          Canada Post service is very erratic. The last few ebay purchases that I made came in very short order but I still didn't get my Feb. MW magazine. Seems to me that they are a slack bunch of spoiled union workers who are paid a lot more than they are worth.
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I'm living and still learning about the Canadian border graft thing. Learned early to avoid UPS, now I see that FedEx is doing the UPS thing, only thyey are arguably worse because they mail you a bill, sometimes two months later for "services."

Just recieved a shipment via post office for a part for my truck, not available in Canaduh, of course. Paid extra for two day delivery etc through US Post. It took eight days and appeared with a nasty little sticker on it that said I could expect another bill for "services" because it was over $400.

What I have learned from all this:

[still] only use the post office
            US shipper shouldn't bother filling out the US Post export forms, I have NEVER seen any evidence they have been read. Label package as others have said, it's faster all around.
            Use insurance.

Comment

I have noticed that alot of american companies won't ship to Canada unless it is UPS or FEDEX. Verry annoying. At least i haven't won this battle

Rob

Comment

The standard "take" here is that most of the postage is to pay for storage. If I mail something ro another address in Williams Lake it is sent 500 KM south to Vancouver to be sorted and then sent 500 KM north back to Williams Lake for delivery. Very thrifty of my tax payer dollars!

If sending something to Canada ALWAYS use USPS if possible. If not, then truck it.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I ship to Canada frequently. USPS is usually preferred, and Air Mail Letter Post is often cheapest and quickest method.
                  How are duty and broker's fees handled, and when are they charged? I would like to be able to advise some of my customers on this, as I don't think they are always aware of some of the hidden costs involved.
                  Sometimes, the more expensive shipping method will be cheaper in the long run.
                  Jim H.

Comment

I sent Thrud a package the other day,I used USPS,basicaly because they are slower than s---,UPS,FEDEX,AIRBORNE you name it always cost more because they are faster than USPS,at least on cross boarder shipping.We also get screwed by Airborne on incoming packages,we get some large bore bearings out of Ontario and that usually adds on a week an about $40.00.You guys in Canada think you have it bad,be glad your not in Mexico,I sent one there last year(like october)and it still hasn't made it.

For the customs slip,fill it out for $0.00 and insure it only for the shipping if its a gift,cheapist way I've found.

One other experience I've had was when I was working for the framing machine company,we sent the machines to Australia on a regular basis,we found that there was as much as $200.00 difference between companies,with Airborne being cheapist.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

When I need to ship things to place in Canada, I drive there and mail the packages in Canada. I am lucky to have residnecy in both countries, but taking stuff over the border to ship is my only sure fired way of getting it towho ever I am shipping to.

If I drive from one home to the other it's over 12 hours on the road, but worth it to my customers who pay for the gas for the trip, in one form or another.

Jerry

Comment

I just ran into some Horse sh*t with canada post I would like to share to wit:
                        Upt to 1Kg no big deal to US
                        Over 1 Kg to US has to be MINIMUM DIMENSIONS AND THEN IT GETS CUBED OUT AND IS THREE TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE!!

and, how praytell does davey know this? Well, as I was walking into the post office and slipped and fell on the road and severely injured my right knee (its as big as my arse right now) to send Bill his B&S indexing plates I made him (and Evan, the Chinese Cast iron dumbbell weights were lovely cast iron, thank you) the rat bastards in the postal outlet said they would not take the package because it was too small (an old 5-1/4" floppie box). Jesus H. Murphey what in hell is wrong with these retards its the friggin post office - before christmas some a**hole mailed a TABLE to someone in Ontario and they took THAT. "No - it has to be a minimum of 37.73Cm x 24.1Cm x 1Cm.if it is over 1 Kg.

So I had to go home and repackage it in a LARGER box. And pay three time more to mail it - only this time when I go in I am going to tell the bastards that I may just end up sueing them for my injuries - just because I had to come back again for no good reason. I have never been so annoyed over anything so stupid in my whole life.

Damn it - I will write letters to Anne Mclellan our BSE Second cow in command!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-16-2004).]

Comment

Dave,I saw a sign in a parts house the other day-

Xnay mondo carborundum-Translation,"don't let the bastards grind you down"
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I can't speak for the US postal service but i think the CDN postal service is a bargain. I agree with Thrud that there are some stupid rules, but you are sending a letter accross Canada or to the USA for under a dollar. Geese. I spend more on that in parking meters. It costs more to process a check at the bank. After dealing with UPS and other shipping Companies Canada post is the cheapest way to ship things across the border.

Rob

Comment

Unless it ends up sitting in a several boxcars on a rail siding in Saskatchewan for 12 years. True story.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X