303 stainless cracked after boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 stainless cracked after boring

Just spent $100 on 2metres by 1 inch of 303 stainless bar. Cut off 50mm with my ancient power hacksaw, put it in the 3 jaw and drilled and bored out to 15.85mm to fit a shaft. I was just admiring the snug fit(still a novelty for me) when I noticed a crack extending along the whole length which extended through the wall of the bored part. It was up to 0.5mm wide in places
    Did I do something wrong or is the metal dodgy?
    Regards
    David

At a guess, I'd suspect that unless you were using flood cooling the heat stress on a wall that thin in a three jaw was the root cause. 303 builds heat at the cutter tip so where that thin wall is gripped by a jaw it can create quite a heat stress line down the work bore.

I could easily be way off on this guess, I just know that 303 likes flood cooling when being worked.

Comment

You might get better results by cutting a longer piece so 2" sticks out of the chuck. Turn the OD to the final size, drill/bore the ID, and part off.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Possibly a stringer (slag inclusion).

Have a look elsewhere on the bar, using a magnifying glass.

The stringer (if that's what it is) shouldn't be very long, so make the next sleeve from the other end of the bar!

Comment

Crack

That sounds like a bad piece of material to me. 303 is soft enough it shouldn't crack like that.

Comment

'snug fit' Do you mean it sliped on with hand force, or was it a press fit you hammered/pressed on?
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Defective material.
              Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

and the winners are

all the people who voted for a defect in the metal. Went to the supplier today who sugested ( as several people here did) to check the bar i cut the 50mm bit off. Sure enough there was an identicla crack extending about 300mm up the bar. They are going to replace the bar and threw a huge bit of leaded free machining rod for nothing.
                If you send a self addressed envelope you will receive a hand engraved Steinlager bottle top as a prize

The marks in the mill table were done by the previous owner
                regards
                david

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

bigger picture , I hope

Comment

In sheet its called a lamination, probably the same in bar, the crap in the crack is normally slag/al203/mould powder from the billet caster, it arrives due in part to mis alligned rolls in the caster, could be a segment out or a support bearing failed, the solidification requires a 'head' of ferrostatic pressure to feed the solidification point, if the billet gets to hit a bump the head of pressure gets cut off and a centre line lamination occurs.
                      Glad they fessed up and dropped you a bit of bar!
                      regards
                      mark

Comment

Working...
                      X