Got the American home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the American home!

Still in the truck but it's home & a lot heavier duty than I thought. 14x40 2HP sng phase 240V,dual power feed,tapering attachment,3 chucks,3 faceplates, coolant tray,quick change grarbox,thread cutting,gear hed,etc. Runs & operated nice before we took the stand off. This will be a great gunsmith lathe. The tailstock runs on a set of Vee ways inside the carraige ways. They're all machined & are 1 pc but dual ways. This maybe common & I just havent noticed it. I'll post pics later.Any new to me machine I like to change the oil,go over,clean & adjust all that I can. Any Help & comments welcomed. Thanks! Eric
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Eric!!

And,, happy to hear you got it back home safely!!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
      The tailstock runs on a set of Vee ways inside the carraige ways. They're all machined & are 1 pc but dual ways. This maybe common & I just havent noticed it.
      Glad to hear you got another toy to enjoy, and am looking forward to pics of it cleaned up and running. Regarding the tailstock ways, its very common among better machines.
      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Here's a couple of pics still in the truck.
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Any idea of the model?

I've searched the web & found nothing that matches this lathe. Look at the long vertical lever on the head. All the gear heads I;ve found have a horiz lever on top. Thanks in advance for any help. Eric
          ~ James Madison

Comment

If you would get a job then maybe you would have enough money to buy good machines and cars instead of all this junk you haul home!
            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Based on all these machines you haul home I can't imagine what kind of plane you must fly! I can just picture baling wire and duck tape holding the wings on!!!! You should take up gardening I think.
              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I'm surprised you loaded it with the headstock toward the end of the bed, instead of behind the cab. Wasn't it a bit light on the front end while driving?

BTW, I looked at lathes.co.uk and your looks older than the 1940's Pacemaker pics Tony has on the site. It still maybe worth your while to send him the pics.

Comment

At least it doesn't eat hay & i don't have to shovel up after it.
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                    At least it doesn't eat hay & i don't have to shovel up after it.
                    I will give you that one.

Comment

Eric,
                      I like your big American, As i am a bit strapped for cash i would appreciate if you air freight it over to Scotland &pay for its freighting, Wife would be over the moon with your gift & a humungous extension to my factory as well

All joking aside if her bearings are good she is a nice machine tool, I have a pal has a bigger American over here -- three step cone drive+ double back gear

your machine with its vertical lever at the front, strikes me as the lever for flinging in and out the back gear in the high &low ratios should that be the case that is a very handy feature indeed As i cannot see a leadscrew & only the feedshaft, how does she screwcut, or am i missing that feature in the photographs

glad you got such a fine machine

Dan.

Comment

Oil Mac is might be risky to ship that lathe to Scotland. On the trip over the crew might mistake it for the anchor!

Is this lathe one of the American Pacemakers that I keep reading about that everyone drools over? Where is the lead screw?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                          Is this lathe one of the American Pacemakers that I keep reading about that everyone drools over? Where is the lead screw?
                          I don't see one either. It has what looks like a half-nut lever, but no obvious lead screw or half-nut dial. I suspect this is a model that preceded the Pacemaker.

on edit: Looking at the pics again I think this was a line shaft machine that was converted over to a stand alone with a motor. The quick change gear box also seems to have a very limited number of selections, in contrast to the huge number of selections on the Pacemakers I've run. I'd like to see a close-up of the chart.
                          Last edited by Dr Stan; 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

The leadsrew is there also the thread dial. Bad picture. Not a pacemaker. I'll get better pics when I unload it & get it back on the stand. It seems to be a nice boat anchor 220V sng phase with reversable motor, dual reversable power feed, quick change gearbox & toolpost,cuts all the threads,taper attachment,etc. According to Ebay just the 1 new Bison 8" chuck cost what I payed ($560-7% & no tax) & it has another 8" 3 jaw,a 12" 4 jaw,3 facesplates & a box of other goodies. I'm trying to ID the model & none I've found has the lever verticle on the face, all are on the top laying down. Also please look at my other post & tell me what you think about the pie chuck jaws. Thanks!
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Eric,
                              T think i have sussed her out, by the configuration of the engagement lever, is the leadscrew in behind the front shears (e.g- in a recess under the front vees & the thread dial lying flat on the back of the saddle?)
                              If that is the case that is a configuration which goes back in origin to the patents of the old British designer Sir Joseph Whitworth, I have come across that system before, it is a good system.

Dan.

Comment

Working...
                              X