Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deburring Question

Hello,

I have a part, that I make, out of PEEK. (PEEK is a high performance plastic.) After machining, it is pretty "fuzzy". So, I spend several minutes, with each part, deburring it with a razor knife. Would a vibratory tumbler work to deburr plastic?

Thanks,

Brian
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Depends on the particular plastic and your media. I've had some luck with the harder plastics, but the more malleable ones just laughed at me, regardless of the media.

I found that walnut shell does pretty good, with corn cob second. You will get some peening if you leave it in too long.

That is my (limited) experience.

Pops

Comment

I haven't used any kind of vibratory tumbler or media, so I can't speak to that. Over the years I've made all kinds of de-burring tools, usually from old bandsaw blade that's an inch wide or more. Using a cutoff disc, I notch into a piece of the blade material, often making the notch about 110 degrees wide or a bit more. That's good for a right angle corner- just drag it once each way and that's usually enough.

Basically, I just cut and grind the section of blade to suit the job at hand. Some are for de-burring the inside edge of pipe, some are made to scrape a flat surface, some are made to follow an outside curve more easily.

In any event, it's always been a manual operation for me, and because of that the tool is made to be convenient to use. I do usually cut the teeth off as well, and round all corners and edges on what is to be the handle part.

I long ago gave up on using razor blades and utility knife blades for de-burring. Just not really suitable. I even have a few modified blades for my exacto knife handles. The problem there is that the end unscrews easily, and you never know when it will loosen on you- or even break. You do have to apply considerable force at times, depending on what you're de-burring.

At work I use a 3x5 or 6 inch scraper to de-burr laminate work, and also pvc edge tape. In that case I keep the edges straight, no notches. The technique is all about holding it at the proper angles as you drag along an edge, and making passes in both directions to get the 'excess material' sheared off smoothly.

I mostly also de-burr aluminum using the custom notched scraping tools, but usually use a file when working with steel.

With plastics, there's the odd time that a pass or two with a propane torch does the job, or can finish the job.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
      X