OT - Washing machine recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Washing machine recommendation?

On top of everything else, our Maytag started acting up yesterday. It doesn't agitate, just turns one direction and takes forever for the tub to stop spinning at the end of the spin cycle. Classic worn out brake lining symptoms. I could buy the parts & fix it myself if I had more time & gumption but I don't.

I bought this one because it's pretty simple & has a belt drive. No powerful built-in computer or USB/bluetooth/cloud/WiFi or whatever they put in 'em these days. I've easily fixed the 2 minor problems it's had in the 15 yrs. we've owned it.

Is there anything available like that nowadays? Old school, simple-minded, reliable, easy to fix?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Speed Queen

One word: Speed Queen

They are really known for their industrial and coin operated washers, but they also have a residential line of products.

I cannot say enough good things about them. The top loads are truely simple, built like a tank, and work well. If they every need service, they are designed to be serviced from the front. It is very smooth running and I have never seen it with an out of ballance problem. They also spin really fast so your clothes come out drier. The internal basket is stainless steel. The top two models have a really slow speed mode which is nice for delicate stuff.

They do not sell them at Home Depot, etc. Only independent appliance dealers.

Link:
    http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us/products.aspx

But they do not advertise. If you look on Youtube, there are customer videos praising their Speed Queen washing machines.

Comment

LG Direct Drive - no drive belts or motor brushes to wear out as the drum is also a 3phase motor and whisper quiet.

We've had one for about seven years with zero problems.

Martin.

Comment

Pull the fabric softener dispenser and cover plate out of the agitator, down in the bottom there will be a bolt with a 7/16" head, remove the bolt and pull the agitator up and out you will see the ratchet assy.

There will be 4 replaceable plastic pawls,they get gummed up with softener/soap and it makes the teeth slip then strip,last time I replaced mine they cost about a $1 a piece at local appliance store.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Ramsey
          Pull the fabric softener dispenser and cover plate out of the agitator, down in the bottom there will be a bolt with a 7/16" head, remove the bolt and pull the agitator up and out you will see the ratchet assy.

There will be 4 replaceable plastic pawls,they get gummed up with softener/soap and it makes the teeth slip then strip,last time I replaced mine they cost about a $1 a piece at local appliance store.
          Thanks J, now we're talking! I was fooling around with it yesterday and got down to that bolt but it didn't break loose easily and I stopped. Isn't that a reverse thread?
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

RH thread.

Comment

If you end up needing to buy a replacement, then consider a Staber.

http://www.staber.com/
              Paul Compton
              www.morini-mania.co.uk
              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

+1 on Speed Queen and I'll also plug Whirlpool & Maytag. Unfortunately virtually all of the new appliances are computer controlled and that is the part that fails first.

When we bought our house 5 years ago we shopped around and bought new Kenmore appliances. Frig, washer & dryer, gas stove, and dishwasher. I've had to replace the ice maker in the frig twice. Apparently it was a bad design.

The dishwasher's computer failed so I replaced it with an Amana about 6 months ago. I had an appliance serviceman over to confirm my suspicions about the computer so I picked his brain about the quality of brands of appliances. He told me to steer clear of Kenmore as they are now made by LG. His recommendations were Whirlpool and its related brands such as Amana and Kitchenaid along with Maytag. Electrolux is also very good, but also quite pricey.

Hope Ramsey's repair suggestion works out.

Our first washer & dryer set was a front load commercial grade White Westinghouse, just like the ones used in a laundromat. They were still going strong 25 years later when we sold them as part of a move. Kicked myself ever since for getting rid of them.

Comment

Whirlpool/Kenmore the large capacity plain vanilla model with the mechanical timer/knobs dam near bullet proof IME.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    Whirlpool/Kenmore the large capacity plain vanilla model with the mechanical timer/knobs dam near bullet proof IME.
                    Need to scratch Kenmore as it is no longer built by Whirlpool. They entered into a contract with LG.

Comment

My mother is still using her 40+yr old Maytag, never a problem.

I bought 'non-fancy' normal top-load Maytag 9yrs ago, never a problem.
                      I had no need for 20 different modes of washing, so the plain jane model was what I went with.

I can't comment on any other brand as Maytags are all I've ever used.
                      Last edited by T.Hoffman; 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Don't buy a Maytag.
                        They are now CRAP!!! We had to replace our less than 5years old as the transmission was toast. The parts cost equalled the replacement machine and parts repairs have no warranty. Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool and they have hung all previous customers out to dry.

Now if it's an older Maytag put money into it and repair it. They are good. The new stuff by design is only gonna last 5 years. Our old Kenmore dryer is pushing 30 years and still going strong. Just a few rollers every 15 years. I wish we were able to have kept the matching washer but the drum broke away from the hub abou 5years ago.

Comment

As European brands are different I'll spare you the brands but I do have some remarks:
                          • Do get direct drive, the machine is incredibly quiet until the spin cycle. (which is also more quiet than a normal one)
                          • Make sure you can actually get a good grip on the selection knob, mine is smooth with a few small dimples. Don't know what the designers were smoking there.
                          • Don't get tricked into a user interface with digital screen and function keys. It'll take you five minutes to select a program instead of half a second. Once again designed by people who don't do laundry.
                          • Think about getting one with hot-fill if you have a solar collector.
                          • Max spin cycle speed is related to time in dryer afterwards. Google for some data as there are diminishing returns whereas prices shoot up with higher speed. (force goes up with the square of speed)

Igor

Comment

There are only two domestic manufacturers in Europe that state that their machines are capable of lasting beyond 10 years

those two are

Miele and ISE

if you can get one of those in the USA ..get one.

All the best.markj

Comment

I believe we have amanas, they are old but I keep them working. I had to put a new belt on the washing machine this year, the old one looked like the original belt off my 1942 atlas lathe when I got it.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X