Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausing 5900 disassembly for move

Howdy all,

Picking up a Clausing 5900 tomorrow (5917 to be exact, so 12"x36", varispeed, 1hp 110v single phase, no clutch on the countershaft) and am debating whether to park it on the back porch until the garage is finished in a couple months or to attempt getting it down the stairs to the basement. How easy does the lathe come off the stand and how hard would be removing the headstock be? I think breaking it into those major components would make getting in the basement doable, but if it's a headache I'd just as soon use it as motivation to get the garage/workshop finished.

Any thoughts?

On a tool gloat side of things, it's coming with a pair of chucks and a complete collet setup (drawbar and collets) and I got it for $200 more than I paid for my C/A 12x36 a couple years back (which is saying something since the C/A weighs maybe 250 pounds and the Clausing is 1200.)
    Last edited by adatesman; 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM.

If, and that's a big if, it will be under a roof you can probably get away with it for a couple of months. Once there I'd spray it down with LPS #3 and tarp it (canvas not plastic as plastic will hold in water & canvas breathes).

I would also check it at least once a week to make sure there is no moisture and no rust has started. Clean and respray with LPS #3 as necessary. If its still cold up there I'd also consider putting a milk house heater under the tarp. Just be very careful not to set the tarp on fire.

Comment

Yup, the back porch has a roof and is fairly well protected from the weather so I _think_ I can get away with it if I clear out the one work table and snug it up in the back corner where the back room attaches to the back of the house. Then again, lots of rain around here in Spring.

One additional issue is that I need it to be usable regardless of where it ends up, so neither cosmoline and a tarp nor a tedious and time consuming remove and refit will work. Basically the gearbox on the C/A grenaded in the middle of a job on Saturday and I need to get it finished and out the door. Conveniently the Clausing was posted on CL an hour after the C/A died and I was the first to call.

I'm hoping someone will chime in to say that it comes off the stand easily and the headstock is easy to remove and refit without losing alignment, but that might be asking a bit much....

Comment

LPS #3 is no where near as hard to remove as cosmoline. A rag with a solvent such as kerosene, diesel, etc will make quick work of it.

Comment

I vote for leaving it assembled on the porch.

I had a 5900 series Clausing (12x48) and while it's a small machine, it's not lightweight. It unbolts from the stand fairly easy but the headstock is a little more complex.

Comment

Getting it off the bench is likely good enough, as getting it through the really steep basement stairway is more a concern than the weight. Will go study the manual more tonight and hopefully will see how easy it is.

Thx!

Comment

I bought my 5914 as a "basket case", it had been disassembled but then the owner lost interest in it. It was broken down as the ways, the headstock, each individual stand component.

These are well made machines that come apart and go back together pretty nicely, I took advantage of the dissassembled state and painted each part.

When disassembled, two guys can move each part pretty easily.

So if there would be much exposure to weather or big temp differentials on your back porch, I'd take it apart and get it inside.

The only rub I remember is the tapered pins that locate the headstock on the ways threw me for a while, I had never used tapered pins.

Clausing still has consumable parts for these lathes and will also sell you a copy of the manual, they'll want your serial number to make sure you get the right one.

Mine has been a great machine, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Paul T.
              www.power-t.com

Comment

+1 to what Paul wrote.

I nearly tipped the headstock off the ways and onto a concrete floor when I removed the taper pin on mine so be careful there.

The hardest part for me was moving the ways - that seemed to weigh over 250 lbs. A friend and I did it by clamping the ways lengthwise to a refrigerator dolly and taking it down the basement stairs. Getting it back up onto the pedestals by hand was about as much as we could handle. An engine hoist would have made it a lot simpler and safer.

By the way, while you have it apart check the vari-speed pulleys for damage on the sliding components.
                Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Working...
                X