Problem with "New Posts" function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with "New Posts" function

Just as a coinscidence, I started using my new computer with Windows 7 (Home Premium) and Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) last Saturday night. Oddly enough, that is when the HSM website and PM both were having trouble loading. I didn't know if it was trouble on my end, or at the servers for the websites.

As others posted, I became aware that PM was upgrading there software, and in doing so, had lost some of their search capability - but they were expected to get it back soon.

This site is giving me problems in 2 ways: the "New Posts" function says something like "Sorry - No Matches. Please try some different terms". Also, the "Last Post" button for a given thread, doesn't take me to the last post. For example, in the "jokes" thread, it correctly identifies "fraker" as making the last post, but then takes me to a point about 50 posts before the end.

I am able to use the regular search function to perform searches for a given poster (such as myself), so some parts of the search function do appear to work correctly.

I have been waiting for several days to see if would correct itself (by HSM software folks). I realized today that no one else seems to be posting about this problem , and that it might be something related to me and my new computer.

Is anyone else having these 2 issues?

I have heard of similar problems from others, but the numbers of reported problems have been pretty low. There are also a few other problems that have been showing up in the last year or two (don’t try to change your email address by yourself!) and our IT department has concluded that most are due to the old, outdated software that runs the site. The others are likely the result of user browser/computer settings, etc.

The outage that occurred last weekend was due to IT turning off the board while working on some equipment. This happens from time to time and, while they do notify me in advance sometimes, they don’t always know until it happens. Maintenance like this is typically done on the weekends to avoid company disruptions.

We are purchasing new software, which should help with these oddball problems. Since the board is at the bottom of our IT department’s priority list, it’s going to take a while for it to show up.

George
    George

Comment

me too ! same problems windows 7

me too ! same problems windows 7

Originally posted by Jim Caudill
      Just as a coinscidence, I started using my new computer with Windows 7 (Home Premium) and Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) last Saturday night. Oddly enough, that is when the HSM website and PM both were having trouble loading. I didn't know if it was trouble on my end, or at the servers for the websites.

As others posted, I became aware that PM was upgrading there software, and in doing so, had lost some of their search capability - but they were expected to get it back soon.

This site is giving me problems in 2 ways: the "New Posts" function says something like "Sorry - No Matches. Please try some different terms". Also, the "Last Post" button for a given thread, doesn't take me to the last post. For example, in the "jokes" thread, it correctly identifies "fraker" as making the last post, but then takes me to a point about 50 posts before the end.

I am able to use the regular search function to perform searches for a given poster (such as myself), so some parts of the search function do appear to work correctly.

I have been waiting for several days to see if would correct itself (by HSM software folks). I realized today that no one else seems to be posting about this problem , and that it might be something related to me and my new computer.

Is anyone else having these 2 issues?

Comment

I use Win 7 at home without any problems, but am running IE8 on it.

Have you clicked the Capability View button (next to the address bar at the top of the browser)?

If you do figure this out, I would appreciate it if you could pass the solution back to me. Most people I work with never report back, leaving me just as clueless the next time someone asks.

George
        George

Comment

just tried compatability view (tools menu)

seems to have fixed the new posts issue... will report back if it fails later

Comment

After doing some research, I found that it was possible (at least on my computer) to go from IE9 back to IE8 by going to "Control Panel", clicking on "Programs (unistall a program)", then in the top left sidebar - click on "view installed updates", and find "Microsoft Internet Explorer 9". I clicked on remove and let it do its thing. After the "Restart" prompt, loh & behold IE8 was now present on my computer.

I am much happier with IE8 than IE9. My new computer is a 64bit machine that came with Win7 and IE9 installed.

The downside is - the "New Posts" and "Last Post" functions, still do not work properly. They behave the same as they did when using IE9.

It is hard to believe that the OS would affect what happens in internet browsing and bbs function. Maybe the 64bit vs 32bit could have something to do with it.

I wanted to go ahead and post the specific instructions to go from IE9 back to IE8, since others may want to do that as well. It is counter-intuitive since the computer came with the WIN7 & IE9 pre-installed. The idea that it is also "hidden" in the installed updates is counter-intuitive as well. You'd expect it to be right out there in the "Installed Programs" part of the window.

Comment

I had problems with IE9 a few weeks back. Following recommendations from others on this forum, I switched to Firefox, and now have a different problem. When I get on the forum, it will often report the wrong time for my last visit. It usually does it two days in a row and the show last login correctly the next two or three time I login.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Caudill
                This site is giving me problems in 2 ways: the "New Posts" function says something like "Sorry - No Matches. Please try some different terms".

I often get the same problem when looking at the site from my iPad

Frank

Comment

Dave

Comment

I tried the "Compatibility View" button, and it didn't make any difference. I downloaded and installed Firefox, and the "New Posts" function appears to operate correctly.

So, at first blush, it appears to be a browser issue. Still, if it is the browser, wonder why the rollback to IE8 didn't solve the problem. I want to continue using IE8 as my browser.

Comment

anyone having trouble with the back button on windows 7.

it used to be on xp that maybe one or two web sites you had to press the back button repeately to back out of them ....not many really

now nearly all web sites i have to press the back button two or there times to back out...once doesnt do it ..twice sometimes does it ..three times does most.

driving me nuts

all the best.markj

Comment

PM did a VB SW update. Gawd, is it every hard to read! HSM (and PM used to) has a nice toned down background. If you do upgrade the VB SW, can we keep the same look??

Walt

Comment

Working...
                        X