Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes

At some time this afternoon, or so I’m told, the BBS is going to look a little different. We are placing two links to our magazines in between the banner ads at the top of the page. We are also adding a Google ad banner on the left side of the page.

These new ads should not slow things down, but the page viewing area will be reduced as a result. I’m sure there will be plenty of grumbling over this.

However, the basics of the board will remain unchanged and any increase in income really is a good thing for the board and those who use it. We will be updating the software this year, something that may not have been possible without at least a little trickle of income to justify it. Having a quantifiable value is always a good thing in a for-profit company and these minor changes should help ensure a long life for the board.

I don’t expect there to be any major disruptions during the work, but you never know; I’ll keep you posted should anything change.

George
    George

Please no Vbulletin!

Adds are just fine, we can all understand the need for a little income I am sure.
    Andy

Comment

For an example of what NOT to do, check the new Practical Machinist "updated version".

It is FAR LESS easy to read than before, all "safe, unoffensive, pastel nursery room colors...."

Some items are "clearly marked" by a button color of a "hint of baby blue on off-white, with a pastel yellow symbol on it"....

Perfect for a "new mothers" BBS, not so good for a bunch of OFs who need new glasses.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

George,

Please don't do to this board what was just done to the PM board.

Thanks,
        Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

The software change is a few months off and no decisions have been made on the design yet.

The change today will be the addition of the Google banner ad and the two links to our magazines.

George
          George

Comment

I like the idea of a link to the HSM print ad. I didn't know there was a paper magazine for a while. Not so crazy about Google. But I do enjoy the site & my birthdays tomorrow maybe I'll get a print ad?
            Last edited by flylo; 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I certainly agree the magazines should be posted here!

So in my opinion whatever it takes to keep this site up is fine with me,, as "Red Green" says, "I,m a man, i can change if i have to" !

Us "Crusty" old characters don't adapt readily to change , but eventually we get the message!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                Us "Crusty" old characters don't adapt readily to change , but eventually we get the message!
                We have no desire to fix something that isn’t broken and all changes will be minor and should be easy to adjust to.

On a somewhat related note, I just received an email telling me the board (and everything else in the company) will be down tomorrow from 8am-12pm EDT for system maintenance.

George
                George

Comment

Your board, your rules

I am willing to accept a few more ads if that helps to keep the board going.
                  A small inconvenience for all the assistance that I have received on this site.
                  Thanks for the venue.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                    Please no Vbulletin!

Adds are just fine, we can all understand the need for a little income I am sure.
                    Too late.

This forum is run by VBulletin software.

Mark

Comment

I like the new PM color set and layout! Very easy on the eyes, and mine are almost as old as Jerry's.

Comment

All things google are VERY well blocked on my system, and I will not be seeing anything other then a 'broken link' icon should you add google ads. I refuse to put up with 20+ seconds load time where my browser is fully locked and unresponsive (IE8) just to see advertisements.

Please, Stick with ads from actual tool vendors, in gif format.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss
                          At some time this afternoon, or so I’m told, the BBS is going to look a little different. We are placing two links to our magazines in between the banner ads at the top of the page. We are also adding a Google ad banner on the left side of the page.

These new ads should not slow things down, but the page viewing area will be reduced as a result. I’m sure there will be plenty of grumbling over this.

However, the basics of the board will remain unchanged and any increase in income really is a good thing for the board and those who use it. We will be updating the software this year, something that may not have been possible without at least a little trickle of income to justify it. Having a quantifiable value is always a good thing in a for-profit company and these minor changes should help ensure a long life for the board.

I don’t expect there to be any major disruptions during the work, but you never know; I’ll keep you posted should anything change.

George
                          Thanks for notice of the shut-down and up-grade George.

I realise that its company policy and I have had no complaints so far and don't expect to have any this time either.

Comment

I bet the HSM and MW management team gave a big sigh of relief when they read that.

Phil

Originally posted by Dunc
                            I am willing to accept a few more ads if that helps to keep the board going.

Comment

Quite well done.

I still have no concerns and don't expect to.

The day that a second or so here or there is cause for any let alone real concern will be the day I should consider giving it away or giving myself a good dressing down to (again!!).

I have an ADSL connection in Australia and it loads fast enough for me.

If it (or anything esle) is slow to download I have plenty of garbage on my desk that has needed attention (or tossing out) for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X