Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L0 dog drive face plate! & 5c collet chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L0 dog drive face plate! & 5c collet chuck?

Have no dog-drive plate for the colchester student, no spindle
    protector.. the few times I've turned between centers I either
    go through the chuck bore or I chuck a center and turn in place.

I have some material together for my weekend project: L0 mount
    combo dog drive plate and face plate.

@7" diameter it might be a little big for dog driving and little small
    for a face plate but thats the stock I have on hand .. boy its going
    to be a lot of material to remove.

Here's the plan:

gray: spindle
    red: captive nut
    green: 3MT bush
    cyan: 3mt center
    tan: my weekend project

but here's my real question.. since that drive/face plate could also serve
    as a spindle protector.. could next weekend's project be a 5C collet chuck?

have a look:

blue: colchester spindle taper (MT4.5 or whatever) to 5C
    pink: draw tube that goes through my spindle.

It'll look a little funny (unconventional) when its done:

but I'm hoping someone might see a potential flaw in my thinking
    before I cut even more metal.

what keeps the blue 5C adapter in place? just the pull of the "draw bar"?
    I've never even seen a 5C collet chuck on TV.

Thanks all
    Tony

Comment

5C Collet Adapter

Hi Tony-

Very nice clear drawings. I use the 5C collet adapter on my lathe a lot. What holds it in place is the friction fit in the spindle taper. I make sure the male and female tapers are very clean, stick the adapter in and seat it with a rubber mallet. You don't need to wail on it, just a thump will do fine. You will need about a 3/16" gap between the adapter and the faceplate so you can pop the adapter off when you're done with it. For mine, I use a 3/4" x 3' brass rod with one end milled to a flat like a blade screwdriver. Stick it in the gap and lean on the bar towards the tailstock and it pops off. Have one hand there to catch it.
      The big flange on the faceplate might be in the way sometimes. If possible, you may want to make a separate spindle protector for the 5C setup.
      Make sure to put a pin in the adapter to keep the collet from turning, otherwise it will always be going tighter on you.
      A lever collet closer will be a nice addition to your lathe. Don't forget - there are 3 and 4 jaw 5C collet chucks that are just the ticket sometimes for small parts. Nice project - best of luck!
      Last edited by Toolguy; 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

For reference, the original Student catchplate is 6" diameter. The flange is 1" thick, and the overall depth is 2.375"

Good luck with your project!

Comment

I believe you are trying to combine too many parts, making your setup rather clumsy to use, and should make a standard spindle nose protector separate from the dog drive plate. One of the main reasons for using collets is to machine small diameter parts, which often require you to get very close to the collet, and frankly your drive plate is "in the way" of doing so.

Regarding removing the collet or spindle nose cover, your collet draw tube should be able to do both.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

well it took some blood/sweat/tears but this weekend the dog plate
            was born. boy oh boy was that a lot of metal to remove. here's
            the blank:

Turned down to size and the 4.5"x6 thread cut. by the way.. for anyone
            who doesn't own thread wires, get some right now. bought them for
            this project, never used them before.. although you do need 6 hands to
            use them, my threads came out spot on first try. I had no way to test
            the treads without taking the chuck off. brilliant little things they are.

spindle taper and some relief:

took the key out and blued the spindle:

Comment

good enough for me! what a great feeling when that taper actually
              locked. needed that extra bump on the wrench to knock it loose, just
              like my "real" chucks.

time for the keyway. turns out my limited key cutting tooling for the
              shaper didn't have enough reach.. so had to make a new tool:

here's the finishing cutter and last pass:

Comment

mounted on the spindle w/ key and did finish passes on front, back and
                OD:

lot of work.. but fun project.

-Tony

Comment

Face Plate

Wow! What a great job! That will serve you well for years to come.

Comment

Beautful job.
                    I have been looking for a dog plated for my Voest with a L-0 mount and they are scarce! and expensive. If you feel the desire to make another one, I'd be glad to test it for you!
                    I guess I have another project to tackle now that I know it can be done!

Comment

Thanks guys. gaston, I'm not sure I'll want to make another one of these
                      anytime soon. The chips that came out of that thing have consumed my
                      shop.

It was a fun project. I'll admit, after roughing the outside and cutting the
                      threads, the pucker factor was a tad high cutting the internal taper.

sooner or later I'll make a separate spindle protector as justaneng suggests..
                      theres a lot less stock to take out there.

Tony

Comment

Great job - thanks for the comprehensive report and excellent pictures

Comment

I know this is a old thread but here hoping. I am looking for the dimensions for this plate. I need to make a mounting place for a new chuck for my student lathe

Comment

If you google something like "L0 spindle dimensions" there should be quite a few hits. Here's a pretty decent one showing the dimensions you're looking for.

Project pics are the best way of saying thanks!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page12.html
                            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Or here: http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/chuckmt.html

Comment

Working...
                              X