Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me understand the collets on my Maskiner mill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand the collets on my Maskiner mill.

Here's what the system looks like.

It looks like an ER collet, but the nut doesn't have a non-concentric ring to pull the collet out of the holder. It's a real pain to change the tooling.

What's the proper way to use these?

The shank on the large piece is a #3MT. The nut and shank are marked "Torshalla Sweden", so I assume they're original to the machine.
    Last edited by winchman; 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

That looks closer to acura-flex(or similar) collet sytems then ER(or possibly TG series, maybe TG75)

Comment

Well its single angle, could be a tiny TG series, whats the overall length of the collet and OD.
      James Kilroy

Comment

The overall length of the tapered section is 1.350". The large end is 0.813", and the small end is 0.640".

Comment

Just speculation.

When assembled is the groove in the collet out past the nut? If so a piece like the wedge used to remove a Jacobs chuck might be inserted into the groove and the nut backing off would pull the collet.
          Byron Boucher
          Burnet, TX

Comment

Nope, no part of the collet extends past the nut, but I can get to the groove on the collet when the nut is removed.

Last edited by winchman; 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Collet

It looks like the collet is supposed to be snapped into the nut before a tool is inserted. Then the collet would be flush with the nut and the nut would break it loose from the taper when unscrewing to change tools. Can't tell for sure from the pics. Also, some cocoa butter on the outside taper of the collet will make it release from the taper easier.

Comment

A groove just under the end of the collet like that should engage a non-concentric ring inside the nut, as ER system collets do. Perhaps the nut is damaged?

Either way, that's most definitely not ER, nor TG and not DA but slight possibility of being a variation of Accura-Flex. Too small to be any of the existing, common TG standard sizes.

This site seems a fairly good reference for collets seen in North America, with some DIN standards referenced, You may need to find something more centered in Europe, though the Morse Taper throws me off.

http://www.tyler.net/drspiff/machini...ts/Collets.htm

Comment

Bingo!!

"It looks like the collet is supposed to be snapped into the nut before a tool is inserted."

Thank you, Toolguy!! That's how it works. It's not real easy to get the collet out of the nut, but it can be done.

Comment

Collet

You are most welcome!

Comment

You are also missing the locking ring.
                      This goes on the parallel part just above the thread and pulls the step up to the end of the spindle.

Without this the chuck will walk out the taper.

Different collet chuck to yours, small Clarkson, but you can see the internally threaded ring to the left. From memory it's 62mm x 1.5 pitch.
                      I know I have a threaded test piece in a cupboard somewhere for testing the threads.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I've got the washer and retaining nut that hold the collet chuck into the spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                          Thank you, Toolguy!! That's how it works. It's not real easy to get the collet out of the nut, but it can be done.

You still need a retaining ring!

The OD of the retaining ring is the diameter of the groove in the nut. The ID is slightly less that the OD of the collet. To assemble them, get a piece of tubing the approx size of the collet. Hold the tubing on the collet and the nut on the other end of collet. put them in a vise and tighten. The collet will decrease in diameter and go onto the retaining ring in the nut.

The reason I KNOW this will work is because of a problem I had. I bought a new Hitachi wood router. I would tighten up the bits, do my work and then try to get the bit out. The nut would come off, but the collet would be jammed in very tight. I got a warranty replacement collet and it did the same thing.

Eventually, I got out my calipers and started measuring. I was using a new set of bits. They were supposed to be 1/4" (6.35mm) and in fact were 6.20mm. I was tightening not and forcing the collet in. The collet had decreased in size so that it did not catch the groove in the nut so that it would come out.

The end of the story is those bits were tossed and I have been very happy since then.

Comment

There was no retaining ring like that when I got the mill, and it doesn't look like I need anything else.

I can easily push the collet through the nut so the nose protrudes as shown in the picture. Tightening the nut holds the bit very securely. With a bit installed, the nut pulls the collet out of the holder. With just a little bit of effort, the collet can be removed from the nut after the bit is removed. As long as I use bits that aren't undersized, I think it'll work OK.

I'd really like to see a picture of the retaining ring installed on your collet.

Comment

I have the same Perman/Torshalla collet system on my Arboga Maskiner EM825 milling machine (just as shown in your attached pictures), and am trying to find a 1/2" collet to replace one that I misplaced or lost. Any assistance or advice on locating one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X