Tungaloy, workin' GOOD today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungaloy, workin' GOOD today.

I've been doing most of my aluminum work with hand ground HSS and it's been going pretty well 'til today.

Part of this weekend's work is making a couple of precision shims for my model airplane engine buddy. He wanted 2 shims, 1 @ .030" and 1 @ .060" thick, approx. 1.36" OD, 1.22 ID for an experimental project.

My plan was to make a "tube" @ the proper size from a 1.5" alum. rod and slice them off. I had no alum. pipe close to the size. The roughing went fine with my favorite HSS knife tool and HSS boring tool which have been sharpened a couple times. The boring tool seemed to cut cleanly but kept cutting a little more & more on each of 2 or even 3 springback passes. The bore was tapered a thou or 2 as well. Not good...I just wasn't confident enough to take the last 4 or 5 thou off with it.

I had previously bought a small CCMT insert boring bar a few months back and hadn't tried it 'til today. I'd previously had good luck with the TCMT Tungaloy finishing inserts with the cheapy 5 piece insert holders so I bought a box of the same spec inserts in CCMT from Carbide Depot.

HEL-LO, that's what I'm talking about! I could tell immediately that it was cutting straight & true and would take off a whisker if needed. No springy cuts, no taper, just plain easy to sneak right up on the correct size. Just goes to show you, my sharpening skills just aren't up to par I reckon. I'm probably better off spending a bit more money on good inserts & holders and leave the HSS hand grinding to the experts. It'll save me a lot of time & tears.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Milton,
    I don't know how to tell you this but you have had a dig in on the OD of the washers.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Might I suggest your boring tool was dull or had insufficent support?
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Milton,
        I don't know how to tell you this but you have had a dig in on the OD of the washers.
        You get new glasses today? Thanks to you, I had to make 2 more.

Oh well, I'll just double the price.

Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Does your peg board have every other hole tapped?

Comment

Originally posted by rustamd
            Does your peg board have every other hole tapped?
            Yep, got a deal on it at Home Cheepo.

Actually, my shop's a wreck and the table on my trusty ol' CNC router was the only thing uncluttered enough to take pitchers on.

I built that back in 1998 when I was younger and the brain still worked. I actually thought the table idea up myself. It has a plenum under it hooked up to a shop vac and the zillion holes holds flat stock down real well. I drilled several layers of sacrificial 1/4" foamboard at the same time the holes were drilled via CNC. I then tapped half the holes 10-32 to screw things down when needed.
            Milton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
              ...I had previously bought a small CCMT insert boring bar a few months back and hadn't tried it 'til today. I'd previously had good luck with the TCMT Tungaloy finishing inserts with the cheapy 5 piece insert holders so I bought a box of the same spec inserts in CCMT from Carbide Depot.

HEL-LO, that's what I'm talking about! I could tell immediately that it was cutting straight & true and would take off a whisker if needed. No springy cuts, no taper, just plain easy to sneak right up on the correct size. Just goes to show you, my sharpening skills just aren't up to par I reckon. I'm probably better off spending a bit more money on good inserts & holders and leave the HSS hand grinding to the experts. It'll save me a lot of time & tears.
              A few days ago I used some high-positive CCMT inserts for the first time. I was boring out an aluminum hub and couldn't get a decent finish with HSS. The inserts (uncoated and polished) worked like a hot damn. I'm also one of those people who haven't ground a lot of HSS and after seeing how these inserts worked I think I'll be doing even less...
              Keith

Comment

HOW did you do that? If you photoshopped it, you are GOOD. If you actually remade them you are BETTER than good, perfect placement!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nash
                  HOW did you do that? If you photoshopped it, you are GOOD. If you actually remade them you are BETTER than good, perfect placement!
                  In my day job I'm a high-level NSA photo analyst/nerd; they keep me busy cleaning up after the President Uhh, I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night and....no, actually I did Photoshop it using the "Clone Tool."

The pic is fairly low resolution so it was easy. You can see it better if you zoom in and look. I did it real quick and didn't go for perfect. I knew Sir John was just back from a trip down t'pub and his vision was impaired.

I use an old PhotoShop Elements v2.0 I got on Amazon yrs ago for like $15.00 or so.
                  Milton

Comment

Working...
                  X