Michigan tornadoes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan tornadoes:

Anyone here around Dexter Michigan, quite a bit of damage there it appears.

Hopefully members here got missed by this tornado.?

One of my daughters lives downwind of the Dexter tornado, in Plymouth. No damage there. My brother lives upwind of the tornado that occurred in Columbiaville about the same time. No damage there, either.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

A tornado rated at F0 hit a house about 5 miles from here, just outside Ida, MI. Severe damage to the house, and tipped a car upside-down. We got a lot of rain, and the lightning was continuous, just to our North and East, which is where that tornado hit.

We went to Florida a few weeks ago, returning on the 6th. It was pretty obvious where the tornados crossed I-75, both in Georgia and the more recent one in Ohio. Those things are nasty!

Comment

I purchased a lathe online from a fellow near Ann Arbor a couple days before it happened and when I checked with him, he said he & all his folks weren't affected by it thank goodness. My lathe is still OK too!
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

SCAREY stuff that seems to be increasing!!

Comment

I live 10 miles due south of Dexter.Know a lot of people that live there.Thank God that no one was hurt.Unlike many tornado's on the plains this one bounced up and down a lot.My guess it is because of the rolling lay of the land here.Odd thing was I was watching the radar,listening to the police scanners watching the lightning all to my north and barely had a sprinkle at my place.Yet 4 miles away baseball sized hail.Going to be a lot of work for tree cutters,roofers and bodymen in the county.
            Link to local paper with pics http://www.annarbor.com/ u tube has a bunch of videos also.Search Dexter tornadoes.

Comment

weird weather

I'm wondering if we're seeing some global warming effect. 75 degrees outside of Detroit today......a little spooky!

Comment

Middle 80's here in the Memphis, TN area today. Way spooky. Can't wait for real summer....NOT! The older I get, the worse I hate summer. I guess I need to move to Canada for a while to appreciate our hot summers.
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

In January of '76 I rode my first ever new motorcycle home from the dealer. It was 55-60. So no this isn't all that unusual. Warm weather spawns tornadoes.
                  It's one of the hazards of living where we live.

Comment

I think our average temperature here was 9؛F above normal for the entire winter (which isn't over yet, obviously.) If that continues through the summer, this is going to be a HOT one, and everything I've saved on my winter heating bill will be spent on trying to stay cool.

Comment

I was through Harrisburg, IL on Tuesday. Didn't expect to see the damage from the week before. Nope, tornado cut through the south end of town right across the highway. Ma Nature really did a beat down on that place.
                      I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

On June 1st of last year we had an EF3 tornado run 40 miles west to east from Springfield MA to Sturbridge MA, killing 4 people along the way. It lifted 8 miles from my hometown.

Nearly 10 months later the damage even from the tail end of it's travel is still abundantly clear. Hardwood trees may still stand but are reduced to just stubby-armed trunks, devoid of any life. Softwoods trees were just ripped out and tossed, now neatly stacked awaiting removal in the spring. The neighborhoods hit hard have most homes fixed, some had to be completely replaced, and there are some open cellar holes from those with no insurance.

If the neighborhood atop Burncoat Hill in Worcester, with it's few large trees and rows of homes all built in late 1953 to 1954 are any indication, the scars never really heal. That neighborhood was wiped clean on June 9th 1953 by a twister later estimated to be an F5, claiming 94 lives. To this day you can tell there's something different about the neighborhood. I imagine it's the same in Flint and Beecher Michigan, where the same system spawned F5-estimated storms in the days before it hit here. There the storms killed 116 people.

Today we have even a little bit, in some cases seconds, of warning. From some of the videos I've seen of the recent tornadoes, that alone was enough to save hundreds of lives. I hope the folks out there recover soon.

Comment

Pix Man mentioned the Beecher tornado. That one passed about 3 miles north of me. (I was 3 at the time) The tornado struck my aunt's house, completely obliterating it, leaving not a matchstick, but my aunt and 5 cousins were left in the front yard with no injuries except a minor cut on one of the boy's forehead.

My grandad had an excavating company then and all his men and machines were called out for rescue and cleanup. I have a few pictures of the devastation.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

SCAREY stuff that seems to be increasing!!
                            We had a weather bomb go through BC last Monday. In some areas the wind hit hurricane force 2 with the highest measured at 161 kph (100mph). As far as I have heard nobody was killed but there was a lot of damage across the province. We didn't have any trees down but many people around us did. Our trees are still well frozen in the ground and I don't leave lone trees standing so they are protected by each other.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

About 3 miles

The F3 hit about 3 miles North of me.

These pictures were taken by a co-worker of mine (thanks Marie!) and were at the end of her block.
                              Luckily her home was undamaged. The most amazing thing was there were no fatalities *or* serious injuries.

Most homes in our area do have basements and the local television and radio stations were great about tracking the storm and issuing warnings.

I grew up in Flint and while the Beecher tornado happened before I was born, plenty of family had vivid recollections. I take the warnings seriously.

The youtube footage taken from Huron Mills metropark is where my family took in last year's 4th of July fireworks.

People have responded astonishingly quickly and with great humor:

-Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X