Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOT (way off topic) need some music help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT (way off topic) need some music help.

There aren't many questions you can't get answered on this board and I am hoping for an answer on this one.

I got some disposal income and don't mind putting some heavy coinage into a collection of tunes from the 1960's. I'm not talking about the top 100 of all time that is all you can hear on oldie stations but some of the songs we grew up with that never get any play...not even on XM radio.

I know there were at least 250 songs on the charts for the 60's. I'd like a collection of all of them. Anyone tell me how to do a search on google that might net some leads?

Thanks for any help.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Don't know how inclusive but perhaps a place to start?

http://www.billboard.com/archive#/archive

Comment

Try a site Titled "Classic Bands", if i remember they had a list of all the songs from each year maybe back into the early 50's stuff.

Think they also had some autobiographies of a number of people how they got started etc.

Been awhile since i went through them collecting titles to have burnt on CD's for myself.

Interesting request !!

Comment

I'm sure you'll find the names of the top 100 pop songs from each year you're interested in , from some of the sites listed above. On my current digital TV system ( FiOS), they have a " Solid Gold Oldies" music channel from Music Choice that not only plays a lot of obscure 60s songs I'd long ago forgotten, but they give you photos and brief pieces of information about the groups and other hits by those groups. Every day, I hear another song I want, and I can usually download it from iTunes onto my computer and iPod for a buck a song. Granted, I've been collecting my songs for many years from numerous sources, but Music Choice is currently my favorite source to refresh my memory. Oldies.com and Rediscover Music are also good sources for older songs, and you can buy CDs or just make lists of song choices from their offerings. A few years ago, I stopped listening to the radio, and made a continuing effort to record on CDRs or my iPod only individual songs I liked. That also meant I stopped buying entire CDs just to obtain two or three songs that I liked. I now play my favorites ( about 3,500 so far) over my workshop stereo nearly every day and evening I'm out there. ( And don't skimp on the quality of your workshop music system. You'll probably listen to it more than the stereo in your home .)
        Last edited by Bill736; 03-17-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

One site to check would be A-BeeMp3.com, or ABMP3.com. These are alphabetical listings and links to download mp3s. If you know what you're looking for, it's most likely you would find it in the listings.

For a reminder of what songs were popular in any particular era, there are lots of sites to go to. Type in 'music of the 60's' for instance. Once you visit a few of these sites, you'll have a pretty good listing of songs that were- popular or not.

And/or you can type in a bands name and look at discography. You'll find listings of albums and songs on those.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Go to http://www.hawaiianrainbow.com/ and click the play button.

Comment

zune.com claims to have millions of songs. User can access @ $9.95/mo.

Comment

LOVE THOSE OLD TUNES,,,, as Wolfman Jack Would say:

Yeah,, "Cruisin Weather Baby" !!

Comment

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to crank up my database and buy'em one at a time. The upside of that is I don't have to listen through some of the dead wood. Seems the oldies stations only play the most famous 50 songs of the generation and I want to hear'em all when I'm making chips. Got a wireless headset and it's great in the shop when the furnace or AC unit is running.

Thanks againg, I'm good to go...
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                    There aren't many questions you can't get answered on this board and I am hoping for an answer on this one.

I got some disposal income and don't mind putting some heavy coinage into a collection of tunes from the 1960's.
                    Thanks for any help.
                    Pay me and I'll come and sing for you

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John, can you sing "She was only a Farmers Daughter but..."

Comment

Didn't the copyright on 60's music expire?

I know some videos games have mods that add dozens of copyright expired songs from roughly the 50 to 60's.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Pay me and I'll promise NOT to sing.

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe
                            Pay me and I'll promise NOT to sing.
                            Nice one, I should have posted that.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              Yea right. For me and anyone else who's listening when you leave the pub for the night.

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                              Didn't the copyright on 60's music expire?

I know some videos games have mods that add dozens of copyright expired songs from roughly the 50 to 60's.
                              Thanks Moons, I'll look into that. Would be great if I could just snag'em off the web .
                              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X