uses for a boring head on a lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uses for a boring head on a lathe

I found a shars boring head on clearance at a local tool store and began thinking if I needed it. My question is what uses are there for a boring head on a lathe? I have an r8 integral shank apt for when I get a real mill and a 1" solid shank criterion that was given to me with the lathe.

You can use it as the basis of a ball turner for your lathe.

Comment

I'd like to see how that would work. Haven't seen one like that before.

Comment

http://thebloughs.net/hobbies/metalw...rner/index.php

http://conradhoffman.com/ballturner.htm

Hopefully these get the general idea across.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Tailstock offset without messing with the tailstock offset.

Comment

I like the design of the ball turner. Have a feeling I will be going back to get the boring head.

Comment

I used mine in the lathe chuck for fine adjustments to a line boring bar.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ight=Line+bore
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I guess I'm heading over to the tool store in the morning to get the head. That first link to the ball turner kind of made up my mind, that's a really nice tool.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
                  Tailstock offset without messing with the tailstock offset.
                  Have you actually done this with any success? I don't mean to be difficult, but while this sounds good in theory, not having done it myself I have doubts. To work, the axis of the boring head feed screw would have to be aligned almost perfectly parallel with the ways of the lathe, with all radial slack taken out of the tailstock spindle. It just seems to me there are a lot of variables to address. If I'm wrong, please forgive, but I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by x39
                    Have you actually done this with any success?
                    This method works well, and I and many others have boring heads or purpose built adjustable setups for the purpose. It can be set up by eye, or by fiddling with levels or squares, whatever your pleasure. If it is not exactly parallel with the ways, the taper will be slightly off, but the offset tailstock method itself is usually a bit off and will require some final adjustments to achieve best accuracy.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by x39
                      To work, the axis of the boring head feed screw would have to be aligned almost perfectly parallel with the ways of the lathe
                      Put a boring bar tool holder on the QCTP, slip a bit of drill rod into the holder and the other end into the boring head. The plane of boring head is now parallel to the plane of the crossfeed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It is a 3" shars head. Picked it up for $49 from $110 because the dial was not marked deep enough so it was hard to see. Now that fancy ball turner is on my list of projects.

Comment

Originally posted by x39
                          Have you actually done this with any success? I don't mean to be difficult, but while this sounds good in theory, not having done it myself I have doubts. To work, the axis of the boring head feed screw would have to be aligned almost perfectly parallel with the ways of the lathe, with all radial slack taken out of the tailstock spindle. It just seems to me there are a lot of variables to address. If I'm wrong, please forgive, but I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Works like a champ, lots of gunsmiths use this method for taper turning barrels. Make up a ball bearing type center for the head, and a MT shank to fit your tailstock and make chips.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses, I'm glad my inquiry wasn't taken wrong. dp, thanks especially for the tip on squaring the set-up. Learn something new here every day!

Comment

Working...
                            X