Happy to find HSM collection..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy to find HSM collection..

I seem to be checking CL every morning with coffee.
    Not necessarily to buy something, but rather to see what pops up with my interests.

Sometimes (many times) it leads to unintended purchases.

For a while now I've been kicking myself for not having a subscription to HSM magazine. This year I decided that would be a nice easy thing to put on my birthday or Christmas list. Easy to obtain for someone, and would be greatly appreciated by me.

But cruising CL last week came across an older gent that had the full HSM collection from 1982 thru 2009. All issues from each year, and including some special issues as well. They were well cared for and in perfect shape.

I didn't want to let this opportunity go by, so we reached an agreement for the four boxes of mags, and now I have oodles of great bedtime reading to do!

Just spent tonight getting thru 1982.....

That fast?

Years ago I found a collection from the first issue up into the 90's, so that I now am missing only a few issues in the 90's, since that is when I started subscribing myself. I have read all the old issues I have, several more than once, and have gone back to find articles of current interest from time to time when they were applicable to something I was doing.

For some reason, I can find a lot more interesting articles in those old issues than in the newer ones. I don't know if it is the style of writing, the subject matter, the approach taken to the project, or the type of article. But many of the old articles seem to have more "content", more "interest", than the more recent magazines.

There are exceptions, some old issues are duds, and some newer issues are quite good and interesting. But I can STILL dip into the collection and spend more time reading almost any older issue than I can with any but the very best of the newer issues. For some reason the quality of article has gone down in recent years. I wish I could explain it, or identify the way in which they are different, but I have not been able to.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

I have subscribed to both HSM and Home Machinist since I joined the forum. I just put them away after I read them and never seemed to read them again - and they were "will I or won't I" "toss-out" items after a house clean.

I gave them to a friend of mine as he reads and re-reads them all plus he circulates and keeps track of those that he lends out to members of some clubs he is in. I still keep doing it each issue. They seem to have served a useful purpose and have found a good home and are appreciated too.

It doesn't get better than that.

Comment

I find with magazines that the first perusal of one isn't always the best, things change and interests also change.

That issue that you skim thru and think " That wasn't much good this month " may get dug out two or more years down the line and an article you hardly glanced at has all the information you need.

Tiffie,
        You need to get out in the shop and actually do something or make something. This hobby isn't about collecting it's about making and using.
        At least your friend is getting some use out of the mags, sounds like a lot more than you did ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I scored a large box of them at a flea market for $20.00 and that was well worth the effort for me! I have had hours and hours of good easy page flipping with mine. I have several years but not every issue. Jay, if there are a couple you need to complete a collection send me a PM and I'll take a look. I'm not a collector. If you've been a regular here on the board for the past 5 years or so let me know what you might be looking for. This isn't an offer for every home machinist on the planet
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

My association with the magazine started around 1984, with seeing a small ad in a W/W magazine, FWW I believe. I could not believe my good luck!

But, like many DIY type magazines, the well eventually dries. How many ways can you mount that tap in a lathe, drill that hole, etc. After ten years or so, the material begins to be re-cycled, both because there is little new to present and to accomodate newcomers who are starting out at square one.

When the repeats start, and continue, my interest wanes and I jump ship. This has happened to all my magazine subscriptions.

I still re-read the old issues and find there is always something in there that I did not see previously. Or, as has been pointed out, your interests change.

Initally, I kept a little notebook and jotted down the subject, magazine and page, of things I was currently interested in or may be in the future, both in HSM and the W/W areas. I still look at that book today for inspiration.

We have a big advantage now over 1984, articles can be scanned and stored on the computer...............plus we can communicate directly with others having similar interests.

Comment

good for you. I wonder what percentage of (new) participants to metal working view creating a library and reading is important. My guess would be 10-20%, dismally small, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Its cerebral sport, I don't know how you come at it effectively with reading and acquiring books/journals. Between all the authors, millions of hours of experience all there for the sharing. How good is that?

Comment

online?

May have been mentioned before but online access offered via paid subscriptions would be wonderful - model engineer & model engineers' workshop style.

Comment

Congratulations on the great magazine find!!

Comment

good find......

Comment

Just wondering, but do you find they have the same amount of content back 10 or 20 years ago? Compaired to advertising that is.

My local newspaper has so little content, page 2 and 3 are nothing but full page ads these days, and typicaly only 1/4 of each page or less will actualy have any 'content', And thats after I dump 4 pounds of flyers out. Getting RSI just from the dang flyers. I only read about 1 page out of the newspaper, Seems like a lot of wasted paper to be handing out for free (With government and massive advertiser subsitys) and then more government money to pick it all up and recycle it (well over half my recycleing is newspapers and flyers)

Seems to me magazines have similarly poor content/advertising ratios these days, with the last magazine I read being about 50% advertising by space. So I am curious to know is this a recent thing, or did magazines from 10 or 20 years ago have the same deal?

I also wonder, who actualy pays for these magazines, The readers or the advertisers? If the readers pay the most, why is there so much advertising thats a disincentive to the reader, If the advertiser pays the most, why is the price so high for the reader?
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

I also wonder, who actualy pays for these magazines, The readers or the advertisers? If the readers pay the most, why is there so much advertising thats a disincentive to the reader, If the advertiser pays the most, why is the price so high for the reader?
                        Both.....

And if you want the magazine to be less costly, drum up added readers..........

With any product in "mass production", you have two basic cost sources, plus a profit margin. (usually divided up differently to what I am describing, but whatever)

One cost is the cost of producing each magazine.... the cost of the materials, direct labor, and the proportioned cost of the plant required to "make" the magazine, the printing press, maintenance, building etc (proportioned overhead).

Then you have non-recurring costs that you pay once per issue almost no matter how many you print..... the cost of George B and the other staff who actually put together the magazine and hand the "design" to production for "manufacturing". Each issue has a proportioned cost of those folks, plus their overhead requirements.

On top of that you have the profit margin, the return on the owner's investment of all the money required to provide the overhead.

Many of these costs would go significantly down if the magazine sales were doubled, for instance.

The cost per copy of materials would be only slightly affected, but the proportioned cost of setting up to print, the cost of creating the "print-ready" magazine, and all the overhead costs would drop roughly in proportion to the print volume. Direct cost to print each copy would be about the same (less if a faster printing press was obtained).

That is UNLESS the plant had to be expanded to handle the volume (faster press, a second press, etc), in which case there would be be some amount of added overhead.

So your best bet on lowering cost to you of the mag is to get more subscribers!

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                          Just wondering, but do you find they have the same amount of content back 10 or 20 years ago? Compaired to advertising that is.
                          Very good question. I've wondered the same thing in the past. but I
                          would guess it has to do with "inflation". The dollar just isn't worth
                          anything any longer. So it just takes all the income it's possible to get
                          to keep the printing presses and the employees occupied.
                          ...Lew...

Comment

This is great reading material.

Already picked up some nice ideas in the first few issues.

In 1982 there was a "first look" at Kant Twist clamps.... It's fun reading all the old ads, and their pricing.

I can't really comment on old mags vs newer issues because I haven't read any newer issues. I'm starting in 1982 and working forward from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                              Very good question. I've wondered the same thing in the past. but I
                              would guess it has to do with "inflation". The dollar just isn't worth
                              anything any longer. So it just takes all the income it's possible to get
                              to keep the printing presses and the employees occupied.
                              ...Lew...
                              Not so much...but also quite true............ refer to post just above yours......

Also....they print several magazines, and I believe they take in outside layout/print work as well. They need/want to make money as much as you do.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X