3/4" pipe tap in ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" pipe tap in ABS

I have a project I have been working on and have the need to tap a hole in ABS with a 3/4" pipe tap. The hole drilled to size and proceeded to tap hole. Found out I did not have a tap holder that big so I grabed a socket and ratchet to do the job. As I was tapping the hole and keeping the tap straight to the hole I thought thing were going well. At depth I removed the tap and to my suprise the hole had very shallow threads. It acted like a reamer instead of a tap. I did another hole and this time leaned on the ratched to ensure the tap advanced in the hole but still the same results. Any tips?
    Bill
    www.corbinscustomdesign.com
    www.ledwaterfx.com

Tapered pipe threads? You have to use a rather undersized hole and then tap rather deep. Use a male threaded section of pipe to 'test fit' your hole to see how deep you have actualy taped.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Bill, When threading plastic (mostly PVC) we used new taps and dies that had never been used on metal. The dies were somewhat special ground. The taps were standard issue Rigid taps. For tapping you need to ream to the correct angle and size before tapping. If possible I always drove the tap with a center.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

This was a new tap not sure on brand. I didn't ream but after trying to tap the hole is now reamed to a taper LOL.
        Bill
        www.corbinscustomdesign.com
        www.ledwaterfx.com

Comment

Pipe Tap

You can single point the thread on the lathe to a size where the tap will start, then use the tap to make the thread tapered and on size. It will turn easier and go straighter than trying to cut the entire thread with just the tap.

Comment

Make sure you have a GOOD tap. A good 3/4" pipe tap will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, but it will Work.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
            X