My Japanese Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Japanese Mill

I just brought this back to the shop. It's a Marushin MVA. About 4.5' tall, about 800lbs I guess. X axis travel about 12" give or take a couple. T slots are about .480" wide. Dails are in .002" incriments. Single phase wired for 220. I'm trying to figure out how to wire it for 110 but I don't see any diagrams on the motor.

Three speeds via pulleys but there is an extra set of pulleys that can be changed out. The spindle has about .010" of wiggle. I'm hoping I can adjust the preload. Brown & Sharpe #9 collet system with draw bar, but no way to lock the spindle. I'm looking for a 1/2" collet and 1/2" shank chuck to get started. I need something to drill more than mill but I havn't had any luck finding the right machine and could not pass this up. I will want to trade this for something more appropriate like a Jig borer or 3/4 mill at some point.

If you have any info on this machine or advice let's have it please.

Roland
    http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...rson/Marushin/
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

I don't know anything about your mill. In fact it's the first time I've heard ever about one like that. I wouldn't sell it. It's way too rare. Tony at www.lathes co uk. would certainly want pictures of that if it's not already listed. Maybe? Jeff Beck at, tools4cheap.com might have collets that would fit that mill. For it's weight and size that's got to be a real rigid mill.

Pete

Comment

Can't read the text on the motor at all due to how blury the pictures are.

Taking photos too close to the subject results in a less detailed photo then taking a smaller photo further away in focus.

If its speced to use over 10A (2hp) at 240v, you don't want to put it on 120V anyway or you will need to run a new circuit with 12awg wire, as opposed to running a new circuit with 14awg (or rewiring an existing circuit to 240v)
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

There was one for sale on the local auction site a couple of months ago

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-446803885.htm

dont know anything about them really, seeing as Im an Induma man myself.
        My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Looks like a scarecrow

Comment

The good news is the spindle brg nut was loose ( not locked). Snugged it up. I took the motor to a motor shop but they can't figure how to jumper it without a schematic, unless they take it completely apart. They can't find a schematic either. GE motor 5KC45PG75EX. 5 amps at 220, 10 amps at 110. 3/4 hp.

The other good news is how easy it appears to take the spindle apart if I want to have the socket ground to a different taper. A very simple and rigid design.

Roland
            -Roland
            Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Around here, we don't see many mills with the X feed handwheel on the left side.
              Cheers,
              Gary

Comment

It's not the prettiest mill I have seen for sure.Have fun. Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I've been using it recently and holy mackeral these people must have been tiny! I'm wondering how old this thing is because the average user must have been about 4'2". It's sitting on a 1' high crate and I have to hunch over to use it.

Anyway, I got an old palmgren 4" vise that swivels and pivots and that might be why all the chatter when I take heavy cuts in steel. I finally figured out that 2 axis must be locked. (This is all new to me). The whole mill vibrates when I get the chatter because it's just teatering on the crate. The chatter is certainly not coming from the spindle. Anyway, I'm starting to enjoy it and learning a lot.

Roland
                  -Roland
                  Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Does it have a quill?
                    Kool lookin though.

Looks like a Hobart dough mixer and a Clausing 8520 had sex.

--Doozer
                    Last edited by Doozer; 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM.
                    DZER

Comment

It looks like there's a stop of sorts on the Y and Z travels with the round thingie engaging the notches on the left side of the dovetails. How does that work?
                      Last edited by winchman; 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM.
                      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Roland,
                        Since you say this is new to yourself, you might try adjusting the gibs on each of the slides for minimum play. That could be another possible reason for having chatter. You aren't climb cutting are you? If those gibs need adjusting, then it's a safe bet the feed screw nuts will also need some work if they are adjustable for minimum back lash. But if your milling in the conventional direction, the feed screw backlash won't have any effect. And yes you need to lock each axis except the one your using.

Pete
                        Last edited by uncle pete; 07-13-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I would love to have that just because its so obscure. I think its pretty cool
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Why do I not see a "Z" adjustment handle? I can see Z gibs or dovetails but don't see the means. Looks like a sturdy machine to me! I'd keep it. Bob.

Comment

The Z adjustment is done with the handle below and to the left of the Y handle. Much like a Bridgeport.

I'm still curious about the things that look like stops on the Y and Z dovetails.

That's about the same size as my Swedish Abarboga Maskiner, but it looks sturdier. I can't tell if the head tilts. That's a handy feature.
                              Last edited by winchman; 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM.
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X