Drill-Index, hole spacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill-Index, hole spacing?

Looking for a 'technical' way ... (not just 'by sight').

Drill Index

The technical way is probably to have an equal distance between adjacent bits. For that, figure the spacing you want plus half the diameter (radius) of the 2 bits on either side of that space.

Comment

drill-index ...

Thank you for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
        The technical way is probably to have an equal distance between adjacent bits. For that, figure the spacing you want plus half the diameter (radius) of the 2 bits on either side of that space.
        That is relatively easy if the drills are to be located in a straight line.

Not so easy if in a circle.

Comment

I don't like the indexes where the smaller drill bits are so close together that you can't lift one out without grabbing the one next to it also. It's a small thing but irksome.

And no, I don't have sausage fingers!

Comment

Drill a hole in each drill position to suit a small flat-head nail and grind the point off the nail. Makes it easy to get the drills out by putting the nail in from underneath and pressing down on the index/drill-holder..

Comment

Response;

The configuration, thus far ...
              Lrge Dia. Bushings; 1_1/2" -> 9/16" (step 1/16") in STRAIGHT LINE.

As of now, I can only use 'eyesight' to make the layout appear 'proper'.

----
              The suggestion concerning 'nail; push-up' is quite useful. (Perhaps, for a future project).

Comment

Working...
              X