O.T. fire extinguisher question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. fire extinguisher question...

Some years back I put a small Kidde fire extiguisher in my shop...recently I noticed it'd gone from full to empty over time.

I bought a replacement but I'm not sure about disposal of the old one, it says to discharge before discarding, and it says "empty"...just wondering if I go to kill it by discharging into my garbage can will I end up with just a fizzle or a whole bunch of mess.

One man's "empty" is another man's "plenty".

Thanks guys,

John

Just take your garbage can outside.

Comment

Spray your grass, it will br the greenest you've ever seen it.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

The easiest way to discharge it with minimum mess is to hold it upside down in a large (garbage can) container of water. Pull the trigger and watch the bubbles... Wear a dust mask as a little of the dry chem may make it out with the bubbles.
        Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

That is why I don't buy single-use extinguishers - no need to buy a new one, just get it checked/serviced once in a year or two
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Around here its cheaper to buy a new 10lb fire extinguser then get it inspected and/or refilled.

20lbs start becoming economical...

That said, that powder makes a big mess.. do it outside.. in a trash can WITH BAG. The powder loves to stick to stuff.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

And if you have a fire in your shop, a dry-chem estinguisher will kill the fire but it will leave a lot of residue to clean up in your shop.

It is quite safe but just be sure that you don't get a breathing problem.

Here is the "dry chem" Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Comment

Just a head up...

Keep in mind boys that if you squeeze the trigger once just to see if it works you coat the valve with powder and it will leak over time. I bought 4 large ones and wanted to see one work and gave it a quick blast. That one is out of propellant and the other three are still fine after 6 years.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Another heads up.

I was visiting a business that sells / services fire extinguishers (where I learned Black Moon is right about refurbs) and the owner said that dry chem fire extinguishers should be "serviced" to keep the dry chem from settling in the bottom into a lump that won't discharge properly. Each year hold it horizontal and bang on the end with a rubber mallet. Keep a rotatin' and a bangin' for minute or two. You should be able to feel the dry chem falling from the top to bottom when you tilt upright and upside down.

Safety first (or at least in the top three)

Steve
                  Last edited by SteveF; 03-20-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies...all good stuff to know!

John

Comment

One other thing about dry-chem extinguishers. They will destroy any electronic equipment the powder comes in contact with including switches. At work (TV remote truck) we use "Halitron 1", it is probably hugely expensive but if you have a cnc mill have to use the fire extinguisher it will not kill the electronics, if you hit it with dry-chem the electronics will be toast.

Rick

Comment

Rick, You're in RI?...I don't think there are many of us on here.

Good to know about frying the electronics, thanks.

John

Comment

A relative does commercial property insurance inspections and he says he tells all his clients to have several CO2 fire extinguishers around and to use those first. If they don't get the job done, then use the dry chem ones because even if they don't damage anything, they will make a huge mess.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF
                            A relative does commercial property insurance inspections and he says he tells all his clients to have several CO2 fire extinguishers around and to use those first. If they don't get the job done, then use the dry chem ones because even if they don't damage anything, they will make a huge mess.

Steve
                            After discharging a fire extinguiser into a trash can (the trash can WAS on fire...) without a bag in it.. I threw out the trash can, it was that bad, Even though the fire did no damage ot the trash can, the powder was such a (sticky) mess it was not worth cleaning.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Oops.

Forgot to post the link to the "Dry Chem" Material Safety Date Sheet (MSDS):

http://fireextinguishersales.com.au/...emicalmsds.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X