Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

123 blocks, 11 or 23 hole?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 123 blocks, 11 or 23 hole?

    I see both the 11 and 23 hole 123 blocks are available from McMaster, our supplier for work.

    The 11 hole has 5/16" tapped holes, and the 23 hole block has 3/8" tapped holes.

    Pros/cons of either besides what our clamp kit stud size for the mill is?
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 03-21-2012, 05:15 AM.

  • #2
    I'd go for the 23-hole 1-2-3 blocks with the 3/8" (UNC?) holes.

    I use "captive screws" a lot with *.*.* blocks as it works well and makes them that bit more versatile.

    I would not worry about comapability with the mill clamp set/s. Just use stock bolts/screws as required.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is nice to have a set with one or no holes to use around the grinder.
      I hate grit in the holes.
      (no sex on the beach either)

      --Doozer
      DZER

      Comment


      • #4
        Tiffie-

        11 hole 5/16-18
        23 hole 3/8-16

        http://www.mcmaster.com/#1-2-3-blocks/=grbbwa

        Originally posted by Doozer
        It is nice to have a set with one or no holes to use around the grinder.
        Good point. Since I don't have a surface grinder yet, I had never thought of that.

        .
        Last edited by T.Hoffman; 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          If it was that much of concern to me I'd fill the holes with a grub screw just below the surface and fill it to the surface with grease as its easy to get out when needed - just use a hexagon key.

          But its your call.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by T.Hoffman
            I see both the 11 and 23 hole 123 blocks are available from McMaster, our supplier for work.

            The 11 hole has 5/16" tapped holes, and the 23 hole block has 3/8" tapped holes.

            Pros/cons of either besides what our clamp kit stud size for the mill is?
            My 11 hole blocks from Travers are universal blocks. They bolt to each other to form angles or longer blocks. They can be very useful at times.

            Comment


            • #7
              Harvey's point is a good one. Either of the ones from McMaster, though, I give a 99.9% chance will bolt together as shown above. Why? Because 99.9% of McMaster's inspection stuff like this is going to be Suburban Tool brand, and the spec's match just too well not to be in this case in particular: http://www.subtool.com/st/b123_preci...ri-blocks.html

              Comment


              • #8
                + 1.

                But with captive screws you can either bolt them together and/or to something else.

                It amazing how much (ab?)use they take and still maintain their accuracy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have the 11 hole import blocks. Some are threaded and some are not. Problem is, the un-threaded holes are not big enough to pass a 3/8 bolt. All of them will pass a 1/4" or 6mm bolt so I have to use them to assemble into angles.

                  Frankly, I use the blocks all the time but I hardly ever use the holes, threaded or unthreaded.
                  Paul A.

                  Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                    I have the 11 hole import blocks. Some are threaded and some are not. Problem is, the un-threaded holes are not big enough to pass a 3/8 bolt.
                    The oft-cited story, which I believe to be true, is that when the 1-2-3 blocks were sent China to make knock-offs they drilled all the holes for the 3/8-16 tap size, instead of drilling the threaded holes for the tap size and the through holes 3/8".
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My guess is that the tapped 3/8" UNC holes were deemed as sufficient and the remainder ("tapping size"?) were drilld in the same pattern but were provided for ease of heat treating and to minimise post HT stress and distortion problems.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                        I have the 11 hole import blocks. Some are threaded and some are not. Problem is, the un-threaded holes are not big enough to pass a 3/8 bolt.
                        You think thats bad? My 123 blocks won't pass a 3/8 bolt into the threaded holes either!
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          My guess is that the tapped 3/8" UNC holes were deemed as sufficient and the remainder ("tapping size"?) were drilld in the same pattern but were provided for ease of heat treating and to minimise post HT stress and distortion problems.
                          The western 1-2-3 blocks they were copied from have the correct through holes to bolt them together

                          You think thats bad? My 123 blocks won't pass a 3/8 bolt into the threaded holes either!
                          You must have gotten some of John's trademarked 1-2-4 blocks
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally Posted by oldtiffie

                            My guess is that the tapped 3/8" UNC holes were deemed as sufficient and the remainder ("tapping size"?) were drilld in the same pattern but were provided for ease of heat treating and to minimise post HT stress and distortion problems.
                            Originally posted by lazlo
                            The western 1-2-3 blocks they were copied from have the correct through holes to bolt them together
                            Lazlo.

                            I still think I might be right as the most efficient way to drill them was to drill all of them with the same (tapping size) drill and to only tap some of them. The other holes may have been for heat treatment/penetration/cooling/stress relief etc. as I said earlier.

                            I am quite sure that if enough "Westerners" (mostly - all? - Americans) were to complain enough the Chinese would tap them all - for a price - and that may be the nub of the matter - "tight-ar$ed" 'mericans who want something (everything?) for nothing.

                            If that is the case you got what you paid for.

                            I have never had a problem with the "untapped"/"not enough" tapped holes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lazlo
                              The oft-cited story, which I believe to be true, is that when the 1-2-3 blocks were sent China to make knock-offs they drilled all the holes for the 3/8-16 tap size, instead of drilling the threaded holes for the tap size and the through holes 3/8".
                              Originally posted by oldtiffie
                              I still think I might be right as the most efficient way to drill them was to drill all of them with the same (tapping size) drill and to only tap some of them. The other holes may have been for heat treatment/penetration/cooling/stress relief etc.
                              So it was more efficient to drill all of the holes 5/16", and tap half of them, than to drill the threaded holes 5/16", and drill the through holes 3/8" like the Moore & Wright 1-2-3 blocks they were copied from?

                              Originally posted by Tiffie
                              that may be the nub of the matter - "tight-ar$ed" 'mericans who want something (everything?) for nothing.
                              More like tight-assed Aussies. I bought Moore & Wright blocks on Ebay. It's nice to be able to assemble them into angle blocks, like they were designed.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X