Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Anyone seen the Doomsday Bunker Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Anyone seen the Doomsday Bunker Show?

I watched it for the first (and last time.) What a crock! This guy is welding up steel underground bunkers for the survivalists. All of the drama such an event can generate for reality TV.

The guy who is making the bunkers is selling a lot of smole and mirrors. The bunker he sold on the show was a $50,000 item. I would give $0.50 for it! Material is 10 gage steel plate, welding into a big box. How bullet proof is 10 gage steel plate? Not very. There are external steel supports which keep it from collapsing. The roof is flat which is great for collecting water to sit on it and rust when buried. When the bunker was buried, there was no waterproofing done to the steel. The raw steel plate was just buried in the ground and in a few years the owner will be wondering why the floor, roof and walls are all rusting thru! The emergency electrical generater for the bunker was mounted OUTSIDE of it. How much sense does that make?

Just more TV garbage.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

That is about the worst case of paranoia I have ever seen. I actually watched a couple of the shows just to see if it was really real. Even putting aside the guy who's preying on the dumb people, the dumb people are, well, dumb. It makes no difference if you have six days or six months of supplies. They will eventually run out; and if a catastrophic event does happen, these folks are only putting off the inevitable. It isn't going to go away in a few days or weeks.

No more time wasted with this premise. Discovery show= fail

Comment

The other moronic show is that Preppers one. I noticed that they are wanting folks to send them an email to get on the show. Was thinking I can put in some fake plastic crooked teeth, an old baseball hat on cockeyed, and do my best impersonation of Bill Murray from CaddyShack.

Yeaa, we're ready for that armygedon.
      Gots some food in the house.
      Got some goats for meat.
      Probably gonna eat that grey and white one first.
      Came out here last week and it thought I had some food in my hand.
      So, reared up and tagged me right in the nut sac. Yeah, that ones goin' first.

Steve

Comment

Yes, these "Reality" shows are getting dumber by the day.
        As GARAGEMARK said, Supplies will eventually run out, and then you're just delaying the inevitable.
        Would anyone REALLY want to live in a post-apocalyptic world?
        No clean water, no food, no medical care, looting, killings, rape, etc.
        In my opinion, I'd rather commit suicide than live in a destroyed wasteland.
        Call me crazy.

Comment

Yup, those shows are rather ridiculous. I do get a good laugh out of some of the boobytraps they set though, but that is bc I know the only boobs being caught are going to be themselves eventually.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I really like the outward swinging bullet proof door. OK - I'm hungry and you are holed up with a bunch of food but won't share. Think I might be inclined to bury you in your bunker?

...maybe...

Comment

Hey, at $50K apiece, sell two of them a year and take the rest of the year off.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I've only caught glimpses of it during commercial breaks. Those few seconds was enough to convince me how stupid those shows are and the people who actually watch them. I can't believe there are people like that who are doomsayers.

Comment

I caught 15 minutes of it. It's another bogus highly scripted "reality" show like Gold Rush and Sons of Guns.

The part I watched showed a guy building a bunker on a mountaintop, and the plot element was that his bunker generator was stolen. In the pictures it shows ~ 20 HP generator. It's not like kids or vandals are going to swing by and steal a half ton generator

So in the same schlock writing style as Sons of Guns, the bunker seller "develops" an automated gun turret. It was a joke.

Like the other posters have said, he used 10 gauge sheet metal for his "$10,000 blast door", which was something an intro welding student could fab in 2 hours. The bunker seller was "disappointed" that it didn't survive his penetration tests. Yeah...

The reason these sh!tty "reality" shows are so prevalent on cable is because they cost almost nothing to film. So it's filler for their broadcast schedule.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I love the bug out folks.

Just where do they think they are going to go?

I live way out in the mountains, self sufficient farm if it needs to be. Would support us.

But, if the conventional food supply chain were to cease, and all the city folk went out to the woods, there is not enough wildlife to supply protein for the masses. All living critters woud be consumed in the first few weeks.

And don't show up to our part of the woods, all us residents don't want anyone else around and we have the means to convince you to head elsewhere.

Now if you have good skills such as making lumber from trees, hand rifling barrels or running a anvil & forge, you may be asked to hang around. Just be sure to bring your double bit axes & misery whip and 10 tons of blacksmith coal.

Comment

I'm standing on the outside of your shelter, looking in.
                      While the bombs are falling round me everywhere.
                      I'm standing on the outside of your shelter.
                      Have I told you lately that I care?

Tom Lehrer
                      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                        The reason these sh!tty "reality" shows are so prevalent on cable is because they cost almost nothing to film. .
                        might also have something to do with the high incidence of idiocy amongst the general population. I think it was Carl Sagan who estimated less than 1% of the population are scientifically literate.

This is disturbing when you realize scientific literacy doesn't mean you're a scientist or hold a PhD; it just means you have enough knowledge of science and its process that you scoff at the national enquirer type stories.

What we should really fear is the idiots. Maybe 10 gauge is enough?

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

There was a guy on, I think, the Miller welding bulletin board who
                          asked about how to build such a shelter. By the time the "suggestions"
                          stop flowing, I think he decided that he should have had the shelter
                          before he asked the question

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                          What we should really fear is the idiots. Maybe 10 gauge is enough?
                          Actually, we should convince them (and that should not be hard)
                          that they should use, maybe, 18ga. After all 18 is a bigger number
                          than 10, so it should be better, right?

And then when the apocalypse comes, all the smart people will
                          need is a good can opener to get into the caches of food and
                          stuff that will be scattered all over the place

Frank

Comment

Yup ..rubbish show ..no good

They even dropped the car softside down on the pyramid...
                            Burning the gas flames to show it off to client, probably blistered the paint in the stair well.

If they wanted a good door they should have made it out of two inches thick solid steel ..probably would have ended up the same price .

They aren't buried deep enough.

..They will rust ..and perforate within 5 years is my guess.

The vents for them could easily be blocked up...so that's all the would-be breaker-inner would have to do to starve them of air...and have them opening the door.

The fibreglass ones could be set on fire by the would-be breaker-inner.

No doubt, after this show there will be lots of rich foolish Hollywood stars queueing up for one

by the next series, they will be moving to bigger premises.

all the best.markj

Comment

I like the new pawn stars and the one were containers are sold at auction full of other peoples stuff container wars I think it is.Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X