Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys do with a rotary table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys do with a rotary table?

Got a new toy today. Looking for both common and creative uses for it so I feel better about my purchase. What do you guys do with 'em?

8" Phase II horizontal/vertical rotary table.

I have a smaller one, I made some indexing plates for it and used it to teach myself how to make spur gears. I have also used it to cut circular channels in stock with a ball endmill (to accept an o-ring).

Comment

This is what you do with a rotary table.

-And a subscription to Digital Machinist. The clock is the subject of the current and upcoming issues in my Mechatronist column.

Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Not having an excess of disposable income, I'm aware of what I'm going to use something for before I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon
          Not having an excess of disposable income, I'm aware of what I'm going to use something for before I buy it.
          I don't have any excess income either, in fact this purchase (as with a lot of my purchases) almost broke me. I have had the need for one in that past, just not at the moment. I now have one for when I need it again. I use these tools for my sole income. Not having the right tool when needed is a big deal. I told myself I would buy one when it was on sale and a 20% code was available. The stars aligned for St. Patrick's so I ordered it.

Comment

Besides Gears, you can do great handwheels

Rich

Comment

Rotary Table

Also, for recreation you can stand on it and have SWMBO crank you around in circles until you get dizzy and fall off.

Comment

Rich: beautiful.

Comment

Weston- Does that clock use magnets instead of gear teeth? At least, that's what the pressed-in circular things look like to me.

Comment

10" horizontal/vertical optional use as lifting weight for back re-hab.

Comment

--Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman
                        Weston- Does that clock use magnets instead of gear teeth? At least, that's what the pressed-in circular things look like to me.
                        Yep. Neodymium Magnets. The whole thing is then driven by a purpose-built three phase variable reluctance stepper motor. 60 steps/revolution, one second per step. Basically a "quartz" movement.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                          Yep. Neodymium Magnets. The whole thing is then driven by a purpose-built three phase variable reluctance stepper motor. 60 steps/revolution, one second per step. Basically a "quartz" movement.
                          That would make it one of the best digital representations of an analog clock that I've ever seen!

Comment

They make drilling bolt circles a breeze.
                            Milling ovals.
                            Milling O-ring grooves.
                            Milling radiuses.
                            Mount horizontally with a tailstock, and you have a 4th axis.
                            To endmill keyways in shafts.
                            Drill holes in shafts.
                            Mill hexes, squares, flats on shafts.
                            You can use them for lots of fun stuff.
                            Last edited by KiddZimaHater; 03-21-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

One problem with most rotary tables is that they are calibrated in degrees-minutes-seconds (d:m:s) whereas most calculations for using a rotary table are in decimal format ie 236.486 degrees.

Conversion from decimal degrees to d:m:s seconds requires conversion which can be tricky - and if got wrong and used on the rotary table - expensive or a thorough PITA.

Comment

Working...
                              X