PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM

Anyone found a cure for PM's super slow forum? Get tired of visiting and waiting and waiting for response to selection. Turned into molassas for me. Peter
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Oldbrock,
    Boy am I glad you posted this. I've got the same issues. Due to the loading time. Even just switching between posts is pretty well useless for me.

Pete

Comment

No change here. XP with Firefox+AdblockPlus
      Did you try a different browser?

Igor

Comment

I also have no problem.. Google Chrome with Adblock...

But this is probably the 1st time in about a year since I have been there...

Comment

Long load times here as well.

I don't visit PM often and am not a computer geek. If a site does not work with the software I have on my computer, I simply do not visit it.
          Jim H.

Comment

Running Win 7 Firefox+AdblockPlus, I quit going there because its so slow.

Comment

I could barely get on here this AM, but PM came right on. This is the first time today (coming here) that the site came right on.

Comment

Works fine for me.. but then I have blocked most of googles JavaScript.. Before I did that, Many websites would take 20~40 seconds to load while IE would be 'hard locked' and would refuse to update the window or scroll. (IE8)

Apon looking through PM's source I find the following JS's that may be slowing your browser:
                ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js
                partner.googleadservices.com/gampad/google_service.js
                http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...r-dom-event.js
                http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...nection-min.js
                yui.yahooapis.com/2.9.0/build/connection/connection-min.js
                http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...lletin-core.js
                partner.googleadservices.com/gampad/google_service.js
                mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js
                www.google-analytics.com/ga.js
                clientscript/vbulletin_md5.js
                /js/swfobject.js

4 google scripts, yahoo script, flash (detection?) script, 3 scripts that look vaguely related to the actual forum.

I recommend adding the following to hosts file redirecting to 127.0.0.1 and putting them in 'Restricted sites' in IE:
                *.googleadservices.com
                ajax.googleapis.com
                www.google-analytics.com
                partner.googleadservices.com
                yui.yahooapis.com

That will prevent IE from ever attempting to run those stupid google scripts, and whatever yahoo is doing.
                Last edited by Black_Moons; 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Black Moons, can you tell us in simple english how to do that please?
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

I see no difference in speed with IE8 and 9 under Win.XP and 7. If any, there is a little increase in speed for me.

Comment

A simple fix, don't go there.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                        Black Moons, can you tell us in simple english how to do that please?
                        http://www.guidingtech.com/4868/edit...lock-websites/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...oving-websites

The internet is a much better (faster) place without google serving targeted javascript/flash ads and analytics trying to scan my PC for every bit of information it can steal (And locking my browser up in the process. Google trying to promote chrome being faster then IE by messing up IE perchance?)

I'll also note I do not run 'adblock' or any other blocking plugin, And the only advertisers I have found vile enough to deserve a total block is google.

For the record. HSM also runs google-analytics.com/ga.js
                        Although the only other scripts I find are actually related to the forum.
                        Last edited by Black_Moons; 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM.
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                          A simple fix, don't go there.
                          amen to that.

Comment

I've got W7 and IE8 - both "unenhanced" and/or "tweeked" - 100% "bare bones" - and PM came right up - perhaps 2 seconds - same with a couple of threads there.

It was actually quicker loading there than here - though not by much.

Any worried about "lack of speed/loading" might like to relax and contemplate it all while meditating.

Yeah - I could hardly believe I'd typed that last bit either.

Comment

Odd.....

I find that PM has drastically speeded-up with the new format..... the ONLY thing I like about it.

I hate the colors and organization, the sanitized emoticons, and the general "nursery themed" look.

But I sure do like the VERY MUCH FASTER LOAD TIMES.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X