If all goes well....new(to me) Rivett 1020S Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If all goes well....new(to me) Rivett 1020S Saturday

One of the Wheel Horse garden tractor sites I belong to had an add for a lathe in the for sale section. Out of curiosity I checked it out, turned out to be a Rivett 1020S, I'd never heard of them. It was taken out of their machine shop a few years ago, no one seems to know what for. They were going to scrap it, to old to fool with. I did alittle checking and realized I couldn't let that happen. I have delt with this person before and he's a real nice guy, so we settled on a price....just come and get it!!!! So, Saturday my BIL and I will leave here around 3:30am for St.Louis. The local lumber yard said if I can get back before 11:00 they'll send a guy over (about 3 blocks) on the fork truck to take it off the trailer. I just hope I can get it running, that would make one hell of a garage lathe.

congrats, those are beautiful lathes, in the class with the best in the world. Unless it was outdoors or something extreme I can't see anything on it not being worth fixing and reconditioning ....that's the sort of lathe its worth doing everything to.

Comment

I'll have to find a manual for it some where, or do ALOT of brain picking. It sure will make my Craftsman 10/12" look small. Just might have to make my Son's get all their car stuff out of the garage.

Comment

A free Rivett. Isn't that kinda like Sophia Loren or Angelina Jolie or (fill in the blank) confessing to you that you're her dream lover?

I might have to hate you a little for a day or two.

Comment

LOL, oooohhhh Sophia over Angelina any day, so many fantasies. She'll be hot till the end.

Comment

To make it an official tool gloat? Let me be the first. YOU SUCK
            There's a rivett being rebuilt on this forum right now. Just run a search.

Pete

Comment

As on the Monarch 10EE the drive on the Rivett 1020S is the problematic part in a rebuild. There's a fellow over in the Monarch forum on practicalmachinist who is rebuilding an original drive, you might check with him. Brett & KPotter both have 1020S lathes and can help you out if you ask questions.

(BTW: I have a 10EE and an Atlas 12", so it's not an unknown pairing).

Comment

I hadn't heard of Rivett before today, and then I saw this thread not 10 minutes after seeing one on Craigslist. Here is the listing, if anyone is interested. It is near Holland, Mi.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/2843637344.html

Comment

Well the rain we had last night softened the ground to much, so the lathe is sitting in the driveway tarped. It needs cleaned and repainted, handle off of compound is missing and the square rod running thru the bottom of the cross slide got burgered by some one. Here are a few pics;

I don't know if the taper attachment is rare, but I got one. Also mane with an Aloris tool post.
                  Manufacture date- 3/4/60 Ser#367
                  Last edited by catman81056; 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Here is the cross slide stop that got wacked; Threading instructions, missing cover?

Comment

Once restored that will make a fine lathe, much better than my SB's.

Comment

What a great find on a top of the line lathe.
                        As Russ said, check over on the Practical Machinist forum in the Monarch section. Both Brett and Keven have posted pictures of their machines.

Hal

Comment

Well if lathe envy counts for anything? That was a awesome score. An instant 100 attaboys in my book. Very nice to see that lathe saved from the scrap pile.

Pete

Comment

looks like a gem maybe is lurking underneath all that cacky paint

reminds me of my jones & shipman surface grinder

same colour paint...same dorbed brush appilcation method

an afternoon with the power-washer

i ended up down to the original paint ...and looked really good.

all the best.markj

Comment

I once came across a Rivett over here in Scotland, It was being totally overhauled for a man, by one of the local machine tool rebuild folk, It is a lovely machine Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X