Quick'n'dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick'n'dirty

I am just getting started in this game of chasing metal chips so I don't have a full chest of tooling. I needed a quick and simple boring bar holder recently, so I made this one up for my little HF 7x10 lathe.

Certainly not pretty enough to show off in the shop made tools section, but my machinist friend says "It's cute, any way."

I shaped the block. Then I chucked it up in the tool holder and drilled the hole to accept the boring bar. I drilled and tapped the holes for the set screws. I tried it out and found that I had to lock the set screws, so I made some longer ones and put locking nuts on them.

It works quite well for reaming the rim of a 7/8 nut to 1" wide, 0.080" deep.

Thought you might like a chuckle.

Pops

Not a thing wrong with that. It serves the purpose.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

I have the same lathe and made some holders for myself too. I did post them in the Shop Made Tools thread, and mine aren't nearly as nice as yours!

My holders lose center-height as soon as I remove them from the toolpost though, whereas yours will maintain their height setting. That's a nice upgrade.

I need to make multiple holders of each shank size though, so I can have a boring bar, internal grooving tool, and internal threading tool all mounted in the same 4-way turret.

Comment

Long ago I drilled holes in a block to fit the boring bars I had, drilled another down the middle for a hold-down, and I still use that block.

Same as yours, but goes directly on the compound of my Logan and has it's own t-nut and cap-screw to clamp it in place.

Not one thing wrong with yours.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by tylernt
          I have the same lathe and made some holders for myself too. I did post them in the Shop Made Tools thread, and mine aren't nearly as nice as yours!

My holders lose center-height as soon as I remove them from the toolpost though, whereas yours will maintain their height setting. That's a nice upgrade.

I need to make multiple holders of each shank size though, so I can have a boring bar, internal grooving tool, and internal threading tool all mounted in the same 4-way turret.
          If you lok closely at mine, you will see that there are two holes in it. One is the 3/8", which is holding a tool. The other is for the 1/4" boring bars, both of which I broke on my first try at using them. I think I'm going to drill out the small one for another 3/8 tool which will give me enough flexibility to REALLY get in trouble.

One of these days I'll clean the layout ink off them and polish a bit to post up there with yours.

Pops

Comment

I saw the other hole and wondered what it was for since is wasn't height-centered. Then I realized you must flip the holder over upside down to use it.

How far were you sticking out the bar(s) that broke? A 1/4" bar shouldn't stick out more than 3/4", maybe 1" max.

Also, the compound on these lathes is really flexible. If you're not actually using the compound to cut a taper or thread, I recommend you lock it with at least one gib screw so it can't flop around as much. Similarly, having the cross-slide and carriage gibs snug are essential to preventing tool dig-in and the resulting mess that makes.

Comment

The 1/4" ones came unannounced in a package of other tools. I just thought I'd use them, as they were new. I found out just what you said on the first one. The second one I shortened up on and the carbide bit came off the stem. Now I know why he tossed them in with the order of other bits.

Pops

Comment

Working...
              X