what to do with swarf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with swarf??

I'm a newbie, and it has just occured to me that my 16 gal shop vac is about full..... I've had a lathe for about a month now, with no end in sight with the projects!! Should a fellow throw it out with the trash? Is it worth taking to the recycling center? It's a mix of 416 stainless, and 1018 cold rolled if that makes a difference.....

The usual thing to do with swarf is to walk on it, get it on your boots, and then walk through the house. Carpets are ideal for getting the swarf off your boots, and work especially well with long, stringy razor sharp stainless.

This reminds our wives that we have a constructive hobby, and they really appreciate us for this. They generally accept the minor inconvenience of shredding their bare feet on the embedded swarf with good grace.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I take mine to the recycling place so I don't have to pay to get rid of it at the dump.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

+1 on Ian B's comment- my wife has gained a new appreciation for what I do, as well as my skill at removing metal splinters from feet!

I would suppose it would depend on the amount generated, small amounts can go in the trash. I have two 55 gallon drums that are just about full.

I take them to the recyclers along with my aluminum cans. Different places have different policies, the place I took mine were adamant that the shavings not be oil/ coolant soaked, which they are not. Other places would probably take them with oil, but I would imagine the price would be less.

I think I got about $6 for my last barrel of shavings- hardly worth the trouble unless you are taking other stuff at the same time.

Incidentally, I have long been in the habit of taking off my shoes when I enter the house, but what happens is there is always a couple of shavings that got down my shirt or the front of my overalls that find their way to the carpet.

Comment

I stack it around the shop door,sort of like a razor wire fence.
          Keeps wife,kids,and neighbors out of the shop.

Comment

Put it out at the curbside, in a nicely wrapped up box, and by the next morning it will be gone!

Comment

I consider myself pretty "green" as far as the environment...

I think I got about $6 for my last barrel of shavings- hardly worth the trouble unless you are taking other stuff at the same time
              to me it makes no sense to spend the time or gas so rather than let it accumulate I make sure each time the session's amount just goes in the regular trash

Comment

I try to keep my alum. and steel swarf seperate usually by cleaning the machine or chip pan and cut off saw after use. I have a pal for steel, alum. brass, ss and copper scrap. A recent trip to the local scrap yard brought me $12 for a 6 gal. pal full of steel scrap and swarf.

JL.........................

Comment

Clean aluminum I put in the curbside recycle. Everything else goes in the trash.

Comment

I live just outside the city limits of a small town in Arkansas... we don't have curb side service for recyclable materials. It's pretty sad a fellow rides on the back of the truck and grabs the big trash can (that most companies use an hydraulic arm to lift) and empties it by hand. I'd hate to think his arm is going to be pulled out of socket when he grabs a trash can that has always been light....

Comment

If it is the long curly kind, you can weave it into chain mail and sell it on Ebay.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B
                        The usual thing to do with swarf is to walk on it, get it on your boots, and then walk through the house.

Ian
                        As we all know, the Netherlands have dirt floors in their houses, so this is an excellent way to hide their swarf!
                        Rob

Comment

I get a junk vehicle and park it out back of the shop. All my scrap goes in the vehicle, when its full I take it in for scrap. Get another, repeat.
                          Andy

Comment

Put in an open box, by the side of the road, someone will take it to the scrap yard for you.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I found out the hard way.....

About tracking stuff out of the basement. A keeper from the end of a 3/16" rod got stuck in my shoe and came up stairs with me. Our 4 pound Yorkie ate it (little trash can on heels) $900.00 later and a sugery and she's O.K. I just bought a pair of shoes that will stop at the shop door. It's a PITA but it's worth it. As for the shirt...good point too, a work apron that also stays in the shop.

As for the swarf....unless you want to keep it all separate and build a back yard cupola...it hits the road with the trash.
                              Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X