abs plastic glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abs plastic glue

I have been asked to install a shower trap which is imported. It states on the box that it is abs plastic. All our traps are either pvc or brass. Will normal pvc glue work to weld pvc to abs?

No. You need a special combination glue designed for that purpose.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Something called PVC/ABS transition cement.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'm looking for the same thing, some way of "welding" some ABS plastic together. In this case, it's body panel pieces for a motorcycle that I'm giving to my youngest son and it needs some crash repair. No, it wasn't me who crashed it, I bought it this way for $500.

Comment

As has been mentioned you need special cement.

You prime both pieces with primer and then use the cement.

Comment

ABS glue

Pixman
            There are dedicated ABS glues. Go to 3M website.
            We use acetone to "weld" ABS in our company.
            Works very well.
            Bill
            I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I'm not sure, but maybe MEK could be used to bond the two. It certainly works for the ABS part.

At least it's not PP. A coin just blew a hole in my washing machine outer drum (PP) this weekend.....

Igor

Comment

ABS cement is as common as dirt here, since we use a LOT of ABS sanitary drainage pipe in houses. I expect that you are not so fortunate and will have to find a substitute. The main ingredient in ABS cement is, I believe, methyl ethyl ketone, (MEK,) but other stuff is added to thicken it and reduce the evaporation rate.
                If you can find a bit of ABS, shave it up and dissolve it in MEK until you have a thick "solvent cement." It will certainly do the job, since a) it is not a pressure fitting, and b) gravity is on your side.
                If you are trying to glue this fitting to a PVC pipe, all bets are off. THAT is when I would switch to epoxy. It will work.
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Anybody know if ABS is the stuff used for John Deere lawn mower hoods?

I need something to glue some cracks in one.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Our local plumbing code didn't allow mixing ABS with PVC (although I've see a lot of it done successfully with cement labeled for both. If it was to be inspected plumbers would use a rubber coupling. Manufactured by Fernco, it's a short heavy rubber hose with two stainless band clamps. Easy, cheap, works good and can be dis-assembled later.

Comment

Identify the plastic with this chart then use the proper glue.

Print this on 14 inch paper or "legal" size and it will be readable.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

AFAIK the two plastics have different expansion rates and something will give if you try gluing them. The rubber coupling is the answer

Comment

I don't think....

Your life needs to be too complicated on this item. If I'm not mistaken (which I may be) I thought I saw a cement at the Home Depot that was supposed to be "universal". It may be worth a look or a call.
                          Allans Rule: Anything worth doing is going to be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Guys, I think A LOT of us are "thinking at home." Durban, South africa does not have Home Depot, Lowes, Harbour Freight, or Ace Hardware!
                            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

It definitely helps to know which plastic you are working with. I was gluing down some AAA battery holders with 5 minute epoxy and they popped right off. RTV silicon worked a little better, but not permanent. Found out they were made of polypropelene. Got some stuff from the 3M store made just for polypropelene. Works great.
                              Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X