Should you charge extra for " RUSH NOW " jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Ford
    • Dec 2003

Years ago I went to a professional color processing lab to have some prints made. On the wall, there was a sign that read "Rush service = hourly rate x 2, Immediate service = hourly rate x 4."

I've kept that in mind over the years and when pressed, I'll quote rush job prices. If the request is within reason, I'll often push the deadline a bit for no charge, but if it's a serious piece of work that needs to be done quickly, I'll offer the x2 rate. Most of the time, the customer backs right down, but sometimes the reaction is more a matter of gratitude and acceptance, and it works out.

Last year I did a sizable restoration job on an important instrument - one I really didn't want to tackle at the time. It required some time on Sundays and evenings, so I used the x2 number for the regular day hours, and x 4 for the "overtime." In the end, it worked out to nearly 50 hours at an an average of $225.00/hr. Everybody was happy with the arrangement, but I don't relish the stress of doing it often, that's for sure.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

• 38_Cal
      • Dec 2007

At the gun shop I worked at in CA, there were only two classes of folks whose jobs got jumped to the head of the line...friends of the boss (usually these were professional athletes he was brown nosing) and cops with duty gun problems. Everyone else was first come-first served contingent on parts availability or our regular schedule...we did recoil pad grinding once a week, and polishing and bluing every two to three weeks depending on how many we had in house to do.

David
      David Kaiser
      “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• David Powell
        • Jun 2008

Interesting variety of thinking--

Thankyou to all for your responses. After much thought i will NOT charge my customer any extra on this occasion but will tell him that next time this level of panic occurs , and I postpone other work to do his, and or work very long hours beyond my usual,there will be an extra charge. Given our long standing relationship and the way we interact I am sure this will be my best course in these circumstances. Regards David Powell.

Comment

• greatbasin
          • Nov 2011

I have a good customer, and when they bring a hurry job they tell me that it is at am emergency price so charge extra. Good customers wont screw you.
          My two bits. John

Comment

• Grind Hard
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by David Powell
            Now comes the dilemma, do I , should I, do other people charge extra for this kind of a job? I am on good terms with this customer. Lets have your views and experiences. Regards David Powell.

Absolutly! Just don't go overboard. If it's a good customer, add a small "do it now" charge.
            "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

• T.Hoffman
              • Nov 2001

I don't mind doing a favor for special people, but am careful with that line.

Once is a favor, twice is expected.

Comment

• oldtiffie
                • Nov 1999

It sounds like some here need extra machine capacity for unforeseen events such as "rush" (read: expedited) jobs and break-downs and to avoid having to take down and re-set tooling and set-ups etc.

Working with the bare minimum of machines and tools is just leaving yourself too exposed.

And what of the person who just wants a normal job done that you could do with but can't fit in?

Have you got anyone you can call in at relatively short notice to take on "opportunities" or to fill in gaps?

Have you got any arrangments with other shops to sub-contract work to them (and vice versa) to keep things going smoothly?

What if you are having problems getting paid and your supplier will not extend any more credit until you reduce your material credit level and you can't get supplies for that "special" or "rush" job?

Again - cash-flow and profit are what its all about - work (and payment) are only a way of achieving and maintaining those objectives and hourly/job rate is normally the best (only?) way of doing it.

Hourly/job rates need to set or re-set so that you are making a good return on you investments such that you show a good profit (if you have no bad debts).

Its too easy to being "going well" with work and going down-hill financially and its very hard to recover.

Comment

• RancherBill
                  • Sep 2006

Are you running a business, or a hobby for your friends.

Trust me, I am your friend. and you can work for me till 11:00 all I want.

Comment

• Robbie's Machine Service
                    • Mar 2005

It depends how you play !

Originally posted by T.Hoffman
                    I don't mind doing a favor for special people, but am careful with that line.

Once is a favor, twice is expected.
                    I don't mind helping out a "Good Customer" in a emergency situation once in a while.
                    Being a one man shop my overhead is low..and I'm in a position that I don't have to charge that premium rate.
                    I have a good customer base because of this.
                    I'm lucky.I don't have problem customers..

If it's a new customer.
                    I use "That gut feeling ." and apply a worse case and give a price that's a bit high...
                    Then if no unexpected issues and the job goes smooth.
                    I charge the normal rate.
                    The customer sees that "I didn't get in his shorts" for that emergency job.
                    He realizes that I charge a fair rate ..thus wins a new steady customer.

Robbie
                    Robbie

Comment

• oldtiffie
                      • Nov 1999

Originally posted by rancherbill
                      Are you running a business, or a hobby for your friends.

Trust me, I am your friend. and you can work for me till 11:00 all I want.
                      A good question.

So far as I am aware the US IRS regards you as having taxable income as soon as you issue an invoice irrespective of whether you get paid or not.

If you issue an invoice and the client uses it as proof of payment to you as a client tax deduction, it will only be a matter of time before the IRS matches invoices and claims.

Comment

• DR
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                        A good question.

So far as I am aware the US IRS regards you as having taxable income as soon as you issue an invoice irrespective of whether you get paid or not.

If you issue an invoice and the client uses it as proof of payment to you as a client tax deduction, it will only be a matter of time before the IRS matches invoices and claims.
                        You are totally wrong on the first part.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                          • Dec 2004

I haven't read the entire thread.....

If you don't charge extra you'll find that everything becomes a "rush" job from clients "just in case" they have a snag elsewhere in their project. It may also mean some steady customers will have to wait longer for their work to be done if you a really busy.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• gizmo2
                            • Oct 2002

I keep my customers in a card file, and keep track of rush jobs, slow pick up or payment, and other difficulties. I highlight these anomalies. Then I have a clearer picture of their track record and what premium might be appropriate. I like to schedule my work for good flow, and not let my work schedule me. Mind you, I am not at the front counter, and the sales people are great at promising quick turn-around. So it's a daily battle at our shop.
                            I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Working...
                            X