Milling attachment for lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling attachment for lathe

Are there larger milling attachments for the lathes than the Palmgren? I'm looking at a 14x40 lathe and I'd want to do milling on it as well.

Originally posted by Ryanjax
    Are there larger milling attachments for the lathes than the Palmgren? I'm looking at a 14x40 lathe and I'd want to do milling on it as well.
    I've been thinking some about this. It seems to me that if you fabricated a big solid box structure to bolt to the lathe apron (in place of the compound) that you could then mount your compound vertically to the headstock side of the box beam, effecting a vertical axis albeit one with a travel of only a few inches. Then a small milling vise really solidly fastened to the compound and you'd be in business.

I haven't done this, mind you, but I think that's the first thing I'd try.

Comment

Rigidity is your enemy with a tool post milling attachment. You may be able to do some very light milling by removing the compound and fabricating a vise with up and down adjustment like the compound.

I can tell you now you will not be satisfied with the results. A milling attachment is marginal at best.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I'm just starting out in the machining side of my hobbies and I don't think that a lathe and a mill is in the budget....let alone room for one. Most everybody says to get the lathe first since so much can be done with just a lathe. I definitely see myself needing to do milling operations as well though. The machining class I took covered milling operations so I'm familiar with that.

Comment

I had a milling attachment for my Logan lathe and the size of work you can hold is very limited. With a 14" lathe you may safely hold a piece about 4"x4" and the height maybe 2". If the piece you intend to machine is no bigger than 4x4x2 you can, with very light cuts, mill it and I do mean VERY light cuts.

Since your doing it for fun and not profit time is of little consequence. I do think your going have to fabricate one for your lathe and you better make it hell for stout.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have an Atlas attachment for their 10" lathe. It may be smaller than what you ultimately want, but could give you an idea if it something you want to pursue.

I live just south of you in St. Aug., PM me if you are interested in taking a look at it.

Edit: I also have a the majority of a Versamil. That takes the lathe milling attachment to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by toyjeep73
              I have an Atlas attachment for their 10" lathe. It may be smaller than what you ultimately want, but could give you an idea if it something you want to pursue.

I live just south of you in St. Aug., PM me if you are interested in taking a look at it.

Edit: I also have a the majority of a Versamil. That takes the lathe milling attachment to a whole new level.
              Thanks for the invite! I'm still here in Afghanistan and I don't get back for another 1.5 months. Don't be surprised if I hit you up then.

Comment

Back in the days before I had a milling machine I cobbled up this setup to do some light milling on my lathe. It worked fine for what I wanted to do with it. Just some small keyways etc. Since I got a mill, it sits under the lathe gathering dust and chips.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I was thinking something like this:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=418-4245

with a vice attached to it. Would not having a swiveling base be an issue for indicating in the vice?

Comment

There's a Workshop Practice series book; 'Milling Operations in the Lathe'
                    Paul Compton
                    www.morini-mania.co.uk
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Thanks for the invite! I'm still here in Afghanistan and I don't get back for another 1.5 months. Don't be surprised if I hit you up then.
                      10-4. Sounds good.

Comment

pick up some old Model Engineers to see the brilliant stuff that can be made with just a lathe and no mill....(says the guy with three mills , as of today 4, but that'll be another thread). I can see though why one would want something beefier than the light L shaped attachments

check out Versamill, better yet call Brian at VersaMill (he's on PM). These are mainly sold with lathes on subs - no room for a mill but they don't want a toy either. Or make one based on the general concept.

Comment

The Artful Boger posted a milling attachment that coul be adapted to larger lathes.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41544

MBB

Comment

Originally posted by malbenbut
                            The Artful Boger posted a milling attachment that coul be adapted to larger lathes.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=41544

MBB

Even though I now have a modest turret mill I still use that attachment. If I have just turned a shaft it is much easier to mount this attachment than it is to move it to the mill.

Comment

Ryanjax,
                              I think your plan is sound. I started with a lathe and built a milling attachment. (I was not impressed with the Palmgren unit.) It worked out well. I did a lot of decent work with my milling attachment until I got a real milling machine. Like Dockrat I haven't used it since.

I admit, I had access to a Bridgeport to do the work on my angle plate. But if you're clever you can probably figure out how to do it with the lathe alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X