Enco NOT perfect, FYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco NOT perfect, FYI

Tale of "woe" to balance the praise Enco usually receives.

Waited for the bronze stock to go on sale, and along with that several other items, all also on sale. As this is an international order, I know I do not qualify for "free shipping" and very specifically sought out the weight and dimensions of potential purchase items to take as much advantage of sales and USPS International shipping as possible.

1] got notification of shipping costs (they are not "known" when order is placed and so approval must be given since they can be more than expected) which were ridiculously high IMO. Inquires revealed they were shipping via USPS but not using the priority boxes so i informed them of the items dimensions and using their own weight, still should fit into 2 priority boxes at $32.95 per. Thinking the other items may have put the completed boxes with packing over the 40lbs even though Enco weight was listed at less, I canceled some items (splitting between 2 boxes should have been easy, all items were in even multiples so I should end up with 2 identical boxes)
    Bit surprised at all this since it seemed as if Enco did not know all box sizes (see below) though previous shipment was fine and done in a similar fashion.
    2] got shipment and clearly the packing in general was very poor but particularly the box size. For those that don't know USPS has a box that is 13 5/8" interior dimension which fits perfectly for those metal suppliers who cut to 13" lengths (its pretty common) but for some reason, Enco sent it in the 11x8.5" box with the items clearly having been pressed in with a poor attempt at packing. Result: holes in box with "missing contents".
    3] contact with Enco customer service was good but a check revealed that items had been left on the shelf (not certain, assume either the shelf/bin items were pulled from had a miscount or in shipment assembly area) so nothing was actually lost in shipping
    4] due to it being an international shipment, they will not send replacement items. I understand this part and while a refund is of course better than that loss as well, it still does not sit quite right.

What it amounts to is, since I am more or less out the shipping on the "light" box (it could have now all gone in one proper size box), any savings from the sale are certainly non-existent and reality is it ended up costing me a fair bit more than the regular price. Plus of course, I don't have all the stock I was expecting and to get that stock locally will cost me a lot more, hence the reason for the purchase in the first place.
    Not quite $74 of bronze weighing about 15lbs 1 oz costing not quite $66 in shipping certainly contrasts with "Texas Tornado" note about his 1140lb surface plate being shipped for $250.

Enco/MSC has really crappy shipping. I refuse to order from them without free shipping, because if you order 7 line items, you almost always receive 7 separate boxes.

I just placed an order with Enco last week with the 15% off plus free shipping. Mostly small items, like endmills, shim stock, etc. My Wife called me on Thursday, angry that UPS dropped off a ton of boxes -- enough to block the entire doorstep. 1 endmill in one full-sized (cubic foot) box, shim stock in another full-sized box...
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Last edited by lazlo; 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I placed an order for odds and ends, drills, nuts, bolts etc , things I needed but I had to order more to take advantage of the % discount and free shipping so I ordered a piece of 1.5" x 12" square cold rolled , 2 boxes came, one with all the odds and ends and one heavily taped and stapled, it contained some bunched up brown butcher paper and the packing slip.............that's it just paper .

I usually have good luck with Enco, but they do seem to be slipping especially with the web site.

I did get a credit.

Comment

I used to buy lots of things from Enco, drills, end mills, inserts, 12" sanding disks, etc. Since MSC bought them (so I was told) their prices for merchandise and shipping have skyrocketed and the service has gone downhill. I don't buy from them anymore.

Last edited by gnm109; 04-14-2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Here's my international story: I ordered a few small things including a speed handle for my mill vise from Enco. Package arrives, one of the three threaded rods for the speed handle is missing.

Enco later report that they have found the missing arm in the stock bin, and proceed to ship it to me in a $45 flat rate box to Australia. I am talking about a 5/16 threaded rod six inches long...it would have fit in a $1 letter envelope. Oh well...it was on their nickel.

I will say that when I ordered 5,500 lbs worth of granite from them they shipped some from every MSC depot in the midwest to my guy in Indy. All for less than eight cents a pound, which I find oddly cheap.

Greg

Comment

They're shipping always seemed pretty cheap to me regardless of how many boxes they came in.

Only gripe I've got is that they insist on Truck freighting items that UPS would handle. Like my Kurt vise and my rotary table. They were both lighter and smaller than items I've gotten from UPS before.

Comment

Originally posted by RussZHC
                Not quite $74 of bronze weighing about 15lbs 1 oz costing not quite $66 in shipping certainly contrasts with "Texas Tornado" note about his 1140lb surface plate being shipped for $250.
                You paid with a credit card, right? Contest the charges. You did not get what you received.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                  You did not get what you received.
                  I get what you meant, but just try to wrap your head around that sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                    Since MSC bought them (so I was told) their prices for merchandise and shipping have skyrocketed and the service has gone downhill. I don't buy from them anymore.

If not Enco, then who? J&L is also owned by MSC. KBC? Travers? McMasterCarr? ??

Comment

KBC Canada i have had excellent service from. Super organized, knowlegable staff, and if there was a problem with an item in my order, they right away call me, the shipping is always been excellent, packed well, and fast.
                      I have no connection to them, just a very happy customer.

The USA branches of KBC i have no experience with at all.

Comment

That experience aligns pretty well with my own, explaining why I will NOT "attempt to" buy from them without an extreme incentive.

Enco is cheap stuff, sold by a no-service discounter, don't be surprised if YOU are the only inspector, inspections done at your OWN shipping cost.....both ways.

With free shipping, maybe..... and maybe not. Some of their stuff is only a half cut above "Big Lots".

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

"You did not get what you received."

Originally posted by Boostinjdm
                          I get what you meant, but just try to wrap your head around that sentence.

Actually, that is a priceless Zen Koan ...

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm
                            "You did not get what you received."
                            And it PRECISELY describes my experience with ENCO....

IT IS PERFECT.

For instance, the height gage.....

I DID "receive it".

It looked JUST LIKE a real one.

But when one looked in detail, it was very poor.... to the point of being a counterfeit.

yep, I received a "Height gage"...... but I did not "get" one, I "got" something else that pretended to be one.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

I ordered a D1-4 backing plate from Enco. One item - simple right?.
                              One 6"X6"X2" box thrown loosely inside another 14" square box along with a single small wad of paper.

Box arrives 5 days later (used to take 1 -2 days tops) and is full of holes. Duh. Missing all of the cam pins and locking screws. Duh.

Called customer service and asked them to open another box and just mail me the pins and screws. No can do... "We will have to check the warehouse and see if we can find the missing parts. Will call you back in 45 minutes."

4 hours later I get the call. "You are going to have to return the item for a refund - and then place a new order."

Are you sure you don't want to search the UPS trucks and sorting facility first to see if you can find them?

Comment

Working...
                              X