First meaningful project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First meaningful project

Been playing with the lathe and mill for a few weeks now,learning it's kwirks,and finally decided to tackle a job that has been on my mind for some time....
    I am an avid hobbiest of Honda Pilots (not the suv) made in 1989 and 90....There are parts becoming discontinued on a daily basis,one being the rear balljoint in the rear a-arm....I searched extensively for a replacement....I managed to find one with everything the same except for the outside dimension...The new joint is .014 smaller than the hole in the knuckle.....I made a shim bushing to take up the slack....Made the ID the exact same as the joint,and a .0075 wall thickness,giving me a .001press fit....Worked perfectly!!!!!! Here are some pics of my progress....

Hoodlum

Nice job Hoodlum, And good to see someone thinking things like this out.

Re: can't get the correct parts anymore:

What year are these vehichles, they can't be that old yet? Sad when a company does this to their customers!!

Comment

Awesome

Makes you proud to fix somthing that everyone else has to scrap!

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
        Nice job Hoodlum, And good to see someone thinking things like this out.

Re: can't get the correct parts anymore:

What year are these vehichles, they can't be that old yet? Sad when a company does this to their customers!!
        They were made in 89 and 90,but many of the parts were "pilot" specific so replacements are nowhere to be found....Honda at one time had a policy that they would supply parts as long as people were riding the machines....Now,their new policy is product support for 10 years...Many popular models are supported by aftermarket,but these things are few and far between,so aftermarket has no desire to support them....

Comment

Ok, thanks for your'e response,, interesting!!

Comment

I can see by the healing cuts on your index finger that you have indeed been playing with the lathe and mill lately

Making parts for your own car reminds me of a Robert Pirsig passage in "Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance". The book is a tad verbose, but I remember the reading of it being one more thing that led me to get into machining way back in the day. Pretty gratifying to be able to make parts for your own vehicle.

Comment

Nice going, always a delight when you aren't so dependent on outside sources for parts and repairs.
              Now you can at least justify those thousands spent on tooling.

I think some may be a bit confused as to what a Honda Pilot actually is so I've taken the liberty to include a link to a picture of one of these fun little vehicles. I'm still amazed that they did not sell more and stay in production longer.

Honda Pilot

I have to ask...what was the ball joint you used originally intended for and which parts guy did you have to schmooze in order to be able to go through his stock to verify fitment.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

It is the same with John Deere. They only guarantee parts for twenty years on any tractor. Who ever heard of a tractor becoming obsolete after only twenty years.

I have a manure spreader that is 45 years old made in Denmark. If I need parts I just call my local tractor dealer and the next day I have the parts in my hand.
                How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I find 2 things amazing.
                  1/ You could make a bushing that Dia., that thin.
                  2/ There were 2 ball joints ever made, that close but not quite. Or is the Honda one metric and you replaced it with an American one?

Cool buggy.
                  Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                    I find 2 things amazing.
                    1/ You could make a bushing that Dia., that thin.
                    2/ There were 2 ball joints ever made, that close but not quite. Or is the Honda one metric and you replaced it with an American one?

Cool buggy.
                    Well,I have a mistake to admit....I originally posted after looking at my notes....After reading your post,I double checked myself...The joint is actually .0295" smaller than the original,not .015.....The .015 I had written down was wall thickness of the bushing....When I posted,I was thinking the exact same thing,that I couldn't believe I was able to machine that thin!!!!!! LOL.....It still worked great though!!!!!
                    The joint I used fits several models from trx's to kawasaki models as well...The original joint was pilot specific,and didn't even cross with other models in 89 and 90 while in production....I am in a close relationship with my local Honda dealer,so looking through his stuff is not a problem....I think the only other place I have spent more money in the last few years is my daughters college....
                    Last edited by hoodlum; 04-14-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X