Computer Problem (Win 7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Problem (Win 7)

I got a new laptop last week (Toshiba/Win 7) and am having major problems.
    Was typing a reply in another forum and must've inadvertently hit some odd key. Suddenly my screen (the window I was typing) was cleared. So tried again, and after awhile once again I lost my input.

After a short while I started noticing other problems. When I tried to click open some tab, it didn't really open it, but rather started a new tab.

Decided to google in hopes of finding the problem, and whatdayaknow, when I tried typing in the google search bar no characters appear, but instead it opens another tab.

I put it in "hibernate" and when I came back to start it back up, no characters appeared in the password box when I tried logging back on. Eventually, by "switching user" I was able to get back in to it, but now my IE is gone from the bar at the bottom.

I'd downloaded Firefox a couple of days ago, but it's also displaying similar problems. Can't type in the google search box, or in the URL box. Did bring up another forum, but can't type in the username or password box to sign on.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! (I'm on my old desktop now)

Well I got the IE icon restored to the tool or task bar, but no can connect to the internet. "IE cannot display the web page". Clicked "diagnose problem" and got this: "An error ocurred while trouble shooting. A problem is preventing the trouble shooter from starting."
    WHAT A FARCE!

Comment

Any warranty?? If so take it back quick. I had one of them thar Toshiba,s that did similar problems I bought from Costco & it had a 30 day return option.
      I took it back at 20+ days with no problems THEN bought a HP with NO issues.
      Just my 2 cents worth.
      Bill in SE Idaho
      With enough time & motivation anything can be fixed

Comment

That's what I'm thinking of doing.
        But I suspect it's a software issue rather than the computer itself. But software, I mean some setting that I accidentally changed.

Comment

My wife has a Toshiba laptop with W7. It works fine, but it's at least a year old so the shipped disk image is almost certainly different from yours.

I assume you have tried rebooting. Have you tried Safe mode?

It is probably some weird setting, somewhere, but I have no idea what it might be. In the absence of other information, I think would boot up in Safe mode and see if that works. Assuming it does, I would probably go through all the screens of all the programs on the control panel list and uncheck every option I could do without. Turn off every bell and whistle I could find to make it into "classic" Windows again. Then reboot and see if it helped. I have no idea if it would help or not, but it's how I would most likely start flailing around trying to find a solution.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

At one point I stumbled across an option to make it boot in safe mode, and thereafter when IE comes up it can't find the web page. That's where I got that idiotic message above about the trouble shooter can't run.

Now I can't find that screen to turn off the safe mode boot. But I just now booted "normal" by pressing F8 as it boots up. But IE still gets the "web page not found", however now it no longer complains about the trouble shooter issue.

I'm giving up for the night.

Comment

You might have triggered an easy access mode for disabled people where you can lock down modifier keys. So instead of being momentary the key will now be on/off like the caps lock button. It sounds like your control key is down.

Comment

When you hold the power button down for several seconds does it turn off. If yes when it comes back on there should be a quick flash of options accessing BIOS and other start options. But if your having problems this early, take it back if you can. If you can't, a complete restoration is I]easy[/I] and you should have instructions. Computers should be people proof.
                Last edited by lowcountrycamo; 04-15-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

There are, I think, three choices for Safe Boot. The first one does NOT include network support. If you chose that one, IE wouldn't work.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

If you think the only problem is that you changed some settings, you should be able to do a System Restore which will reset everything back to a time before you started having problems.

Steve

Comment

Ive only had that problem you describe when my desk has been cluttered and the keyboard was half under something ..and a key was being depressed..by something in the clutter

so i suggest to you ..that a key somewhere on your keyboard ..is stuck down ..

turn your lap top upside down and lightly tap all the keys with the palm of your hand ...and stuff trapped in there will fall out .

all the best.markj

Comment

lynnl
                        Do you have an anti virus program installed and up to date? You could have contracted a virus.
                        Being that the computer is only a few days old you probably don't have a lot of files to back up.
                        As others have mentioned there should be a way to restore the computer operating system to it's original state.
                        This is usually done by by coping an image of the original installation from a hidden partition on the hard drive.
                        Most likely there will be a screen during the boot process that tells you which key or keys to hold down to start the re-imaging utility.

If you save some files from this computer for re-installation make sure and do a virus scan on them on the media you saved them to before reinstalling them.

Terry

Comment

I downloaded AVG and Malwarebytes within a day or so of first using the computer.

The first thing I did was build a series of DVD's that, presumably, permits reinstalling the OS on it. I'm not familiar with a backup residing on another separate partition.

But I'm not sure I want to mess with all that. Building those (5) DVD's took a couple of hours. I bought this computer to use, not to have some ongoing project to fiddle and phart around with.

I don't really think it's the computer, but rather the OS. Tho I guess each computer maker's overall configuration and setup is somewhat different. At any rate there always seems to be some unique folders, e.g. "Toshiba...." loaded on each computer.

What I'd really like to do now is find my way back to that screen where I set it up to boot 'safe' ...I think I made that a default, so that now it only boots up partially "brain dead." But I did that a drop-down, within a drop-down, within...., etc.
                          ARrrrgg!
                          Last edited by lynnl; 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

If you hold "F12" down at start up, you should get the screen you are looking for.

As others have suggested, do a system restore and put all your ducks in line again.

Putting in disc #1 and holding F12 should give you that option or you could go one more and re-format the HD, if you have nothing on it yet.

My favorite virus chasers are: "Avast" and "Super anti spy ware" both free and do the job on W/7.

Comment

Well now it won't boot up at all. Not even a flicker on the screen in response to mouse clicks, keystrokes, or the On/Off button.

Still have some illuminated LEDs on the front edge, and the one for the HD occasionally flickers, but that too doesn't seem to respond to any inputs I make.

Called the Toshiba Tech Support; no real illuminating thoughts from him, other than to recover, OR take it back to the store.

...so, off to the store we go. Hi Ho!

Did I mention I hate Windows...?

Comment

Working...
                              X