The Ipswich Trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ipswich Trip.

Posted in the bored thread about doing a trip to Ipswich to install a machine last week.

The machine in question was a Sieg SX3, same as the Grizzly G0619

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-21-Mill-Drill/G0619

but with a longer table. The buyer lived in a first floor flat, that's 2nd floor for the cousins but when I rang him he said there was a lift in the building so it would be no problem.

So collected the machine and stand first thing Thursday morning and bombed down to Ipswich, about 140 miles. Punched the post code into the sat nav and got there with no problems.

The 'flat' turned out to be an old folks home ! quite posh and new.
    Rang the bell and the guy came down, nice guy, probably about 80 but got all his marbles and he took us in and up to his flat. The foyer was all nice new exposed brick and carpets all over, lift was nice shiny stainless and not too big.

Short corridor to his room, carpeted, and then inside his room was a short passage way parallel to the corridor and into what I presume was a spare bedroom, what we would call a box room, what you would call a cupboard

Inside this room was 12 x 24 lathe, Mill/drill, tool and cutter brinder, benches on the other two walls, grinder and linisher, vise, bandsaw and pierce de resistance in the middle of the floor in the only space left, a medium sized 160 amp MiG welder with 1/2 size bottle !!!

He said he wanted the SX3 fitting at the end of the bench, bit tight but it would go. So me and small son carried the sheet metal stand out the Donald, up the lift and into the flat.

Went back and lifted the mill out the Donald and onto the hydraulic scissor lift and we were just wheeling this across the foyer carpet when the Matron came out and asked what we were doing.
    I explained we were delivering this to the guys flat, she asked whether the floor would support the weight so straight faced I lied that he's had a previous machine [ the mill/ drill ] and this was the replacement.
    Rather reluctantly she said OK and we went about the job. Dead tight into the lift and even tighter into the room.

Bolted to the stand, plugged in and tested and we left to go to Peter Neill's for a nice coffee with a very happy camper.

I have to ask myself just how well he gets on with his neighbours ??

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Originally posted by John Stevenson
    They're probably the erm?......... more hard of hearing

Comment

There's me in several years (I hope). I'm keeping 1 small complete set of machines I can convert a bedroom into a complete small tooled shop just in case. Glad the old boy's still doing what he loves!
      Last edited by flylo; 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Love that story , thanks for posting that!!

Good for the old fella, instead of sitting on his arse and fading away he's got projects on the go when he gets up each day!!

Good for him!! Excellent!!

Comment

@John Stevenson: re "the Donald"

What strange Britishism be this?

In the colonies, the phrase refers to a particularly obnoxious real estate developer ...

Comment

As I think someone else has said before ... I tend not to get cross with old coots. They have more experience at confrontations and they play dirty!
            Cheers,
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm
              @John Stevenson: re "the Donald"

What strange Britishism be this?

In the colonies, the phrase refers to a particularly obnoxious real estate developer ...
              It's the van that he hauls himself and others in.

I do want to know how the honorary title was transferred to the new one??

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine
                It's the van that he hauls himself and others in.

I do want to know how the honorary title was transferred to the new one??

Dave
                for those on this side of the pond http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryming_slang

Donald (Duck) = Truck

I hope I haven't given away a deep dark secret :-D

Comment

Being "mechanically inclined" I suspect we'd get along just fine. The thought of a welder in there would scare me though. Probably not an "approved" use, either...
                  Keith

Comment

Maybe he gets on just fine with the neighbours if he just collects machines and likes to keep them clean. BTW, I am not suggesting for a moment that would not be an appropriate activity in one's twilight years.

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR
                      Being "mechanically inclined" I suspect we'd get along just fine. The thought of a welder in there would scare me though. Probably not an "approved" use, either...
                      Yeah, a mig machine is definitely a no-no. Tig would be no problem though.

Comment

What- no water jet cutter?
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Some years ago I went to visit a guy who also lived in a home, racking my brains to remember his name [ gets harder every day, something to do with aluminium saucepans but don't remember what ].

Anyway this guy Frank? used to be something quite big in model engineering, had a nice workshop and setup and did nice work.
                          Went into this home and had no workshop or access to one, I bought some gear off him that was in storage.

Having a coffee and got talking to him and asked him how he found the home. Surprisingly he said he liked it. Everything to hand, had company if he needed it or could be private if he wanted to. I asked did he miss his workshop and he said yes he missed pottering about but then told me he'd bought a computer and a copy of Solid Edge and was building models in that.

The showed me part of a traction engine he's done and it was fantastic, more like a photo than a drawing,shadows on the spokes etc.

Dry old bugger with a typical Brit sense of humour. He said two of his friends were building a 7 1/4" scale loco between them, one guy would make two parts of one thing and the other guy would do the same and they would swap parts, this way they could work faster.

Frank said he was further ahead than they were and he was building full size !!

Went back to the drawing of the scale model traction engine and touching me on the shoulder in a conspiratorial gesture, he said "You know what the best part of building this model was ? "

"I never broke one tap or drill !! "

There is hope for all of us.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Great storey, reminds me of many years ago when I lived in the UK, all we had a was a small maisonet above a shop. But it did have an attic, so I built the workshop up there complete with Myford lathe and pillar drill
                            Of all the things I've lost its my mind I miss the most

Comment

I hope not of the residents in that home have pacemakers fitted ,that weld would reset them nicely

any way good luck to the fella

Have to remember that you do machine installs John how about three steps down narrow passage and four steps up and no room to swing a cat in the workshop

got plenty of cat to swing as the next door Goth has 7 of the scratchy bittey things

Stuart

Ilson

Comment

Working...
                              X